Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 and two G5’s integration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 and two G5’s integration
    Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 5:45pm
The problem I experience is that when intercepting an ILS and the IFD switches from GPS mode to localizer more, the course of the CDI rotates to 360 degrees regardless of the actual course of the approach.

Is this an installation, setup issue or something else?
Msieger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Msieger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 9:32pm
Except for the fact that my local FSDO has a no field approval policy. I’m considering shopping FSDOS if anyone can point the way. 

Mike
Mike
programmer@pcmforles View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote programmer@pcmforles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 2:09pm
Follow the instructions for the Garmin GNS430 and it's settings as your IFD440 is a pin compatible swap for the GNS430.   I would write up all the 337 paperwork calling out the STC for the G5 and manual to the GNS430 and then reference the pin compatible abilities of the two units as well as the fact the IFD440 has the proper MAP MX (GPS output information) format to feed the G5 on the RS232.   Also mention that the 429Ports are also configurable to the proper settings called out in the G5 manual when the HSI/GAD29B is interfaced to the GNS430.   Then, take the 337 down to the FISDO for a field approval signature.   Then install and enjoy.

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 8:16pm
Here is the thread with the original problem identified.

Here is the follow up once they did some diagnosis

Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018 at 7:28pm
Interesting... do you happen to have the link for that thread?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 5:39pm
There was a Beechtalk thread recently on using the G5 as an ADI where a GPS signal deficiency and turbulence resulted in erroneous reading. Further diagnosis of the data from the G5 (with Garmin's help) determined that the G5 (in this instance) needed an external GPS antenna.

This raises a further question of whether or not the G5 can properly function without valid GPS data. This was never answered sufficiently by Garmin.

You may want to better understand this before relying on the G5 as your primary ADI.
Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2018 at 4:19pm
hi there - I am trying to complete the wiring and IFD440 setup for the following:
IFD440
Two G5’s (AI and HSI with magnetometer and A/P interface)
NGT9000
Ps Engineering 8000bti

I am sure the two G5’s and IFD combination is becoming rather common. I was hoping to find the correct mapping of the wiring and the IFD440 setup to get everything working correctly.

Any thoughts? Did any of you have done this before?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic