Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD100 Alternatives on Android w/ IFD440

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD100 Alternatives on Android w/ IFD440
    Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:35am
The cost delta between the functionality of the Stratux and boxes that can interconnect with in-panel devices is dramatic.... >20x, to say nothing about time to market as you mention for EFB-Avidyne integration.

Despite the power/cable/mounting "mess" in the cockpit, there is a clear incentive for people to migrate from trying to integrate everything in the panel to use of portable solutions. Over time, this will eat into the market for in-panel equipment.
Vince
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 7:04am
As an option to consider, you can build a Stratux ADSB-in box for about $100-150.  If you know how to put LEGOs together and can hold a screwdriver, you can do the job.  Or, you can buy one pre-built for $200 - 250.

Includes WAAS GPS and dual ADSB radio receivers (1090 + 978/UAT).  You can even opt for a $15 AHRS board that will add pitch/roll/yaw data and a barometric pressure sensor.

I'm still waiting for my favorite EFB to implement Avidyne integration, but honestly, I'm not sure I want to give up what I get from my Stratux just to share flight plans.  

I've got the MLB100, but it's 978-only, so I'd give up 1090-in and the AHRS/baro inputs to my portable, plus it's partially independent (Stratux is on ship's power so I'd still lose both IFD and Stratux in case of complete power outage, but if either individual box fails then I've got the other...and it's possible to run the Stratux off batteries if you choose to go that route).

I don't see myself giving up the Stratux any time soon.

Edited by MysticCobra - 02 Jun 2018 at 9:03am
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 6:50am
I don’t know anything about Android tablets, but the GPS in my iPad is WAAS already. The only reason to connect it to my IFD+540 is to exchange flight plans with it, or get traffic and weather information from my SkyTrax100. 

I’m still trying to decide whether I want to use the IFD-100 on my tablet, or just use ForeFlight as an independent backup system. I’ve only recently set up the IFD-100, so I’m still on the fence about it. Im kind of leaning to use an independent app, like ForeFlight. I have an iPad with GPS, and do t miss getting that information from the IFD. 
ChainSaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChainSaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2018 at 12:47am
Has anyone connected any of the 3rd party alternative apps for Android tab lets to the IFD440? There are some and they are listed by Avidyne. Running charts on the IFD100 connected to an IFD440 is 'not possible' (???) according to the Jepp phone sales guy I got to after a 26 min wait. Jepp charts for the IFD 100 are  too expensive anyways. I  have two free apps on my Android that run free geo-rect/moving map IFR and sectional charts. One of the free apps has a function that is specifically labeled for Avidyne. I am just waiting for my avionics shop to finish and I will try to connect the android tablet. Not expected to do what the the ifd100 does with the ifd440 control. I only want moving charts with the WAAS accuracy and precision from the IFD 440.

Edited by ChainSaw - 30 May 2018 at 1:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic