Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > Multi-Function Displays
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EX5000C and GDL-88 integration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyhsat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EX5000C and GDL-88 integration
    Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 12:23am
Hi all!

First post and new 1/2 owner of a 2008 SR20 GTS--I most definitely appreciate all your comments and advice!!!

We just attempted to put a GTX-330ES in the plane to no avail--constant random clicking in our headsets due to the squitter issues I suppose. Regardless, it's a no-go due to the majorly irritating clicks that can't be rid of with the 330.

So a couple other options are the GDL-88 or GDL-82. We can go with the original GTX-327 and GDL-82 for OUT and use SkyWatch/XM for Traffic/WX IN, but honestly we'd rather go with the 88 as it's a total IN/OUT system.

Questions for the Forum and Avidyne advisors out there--

1) is there a EX5000C revision out there or in development that will allow for 88 integration with the EX5000C MFD (i.e. traffic and weather from the 88, or 88 and 430W combo, will be displayed on the MFD)?

2) Any other solutions/combos out there that y'all might recommend that would give us Traffic/Wx on the MFD?

Thanks again in advance!!!

William, San Antonio, TX
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 11:24am
Avidyne has been working on Revision 8.2 to integrate with the now discontinued MLB100/Skytrax 100 for over 3 years, they have been saying it was soon to be release in the next few days for 2 years.  

Now Avidyne is partnering with Freeflight for ADS-B in, hopefully they will keep working on ADS-B weather and traffic for their own Skytrax to display on the EX5000.

So maybe Revision 8.2 will integrate with GDL-88, maybe not. Avidyne has been silent on the release date since they announced here that it only few days back in January.
billyhsat@gmail.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyhsat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 4:41pm
Ibrahim,
Thx so much for your reply and thoughts. I received this today from a super tech gent in response to basically the same questions:

While all of the different variations of ADS-B compliant TIS-B equipment have not been demonstrated, The EX-5000 MFD, Ver 8.2 software will be compatable with any traffic system the utilizes "Capstone Traffic" Protocol.
The Avidyne SkyTrax 100, Garmin GTX-345 & GDL-88 and L-3 NGT-9000 TIS-B systems are compatible.

I then asked this question: Will the MFD also support FIS-B data from the GDL-88? We installed a GDX330ES and are having to find a different solution due to excessive background noise, clicking, etc, in our Bose headsets as a result of the 330ES install (possibly the extended squitter). It doesn’t affect non-noise canceling headsets, but that’s all we have, and the “clicking” is horrendous. Our avionics guy said he guarantees the GDL-88 and GDL-82 won’t produce that noise so that’s what led us to the GDL-88 since we get IN in the bargain 😊.

The same tech expert replied: The only FIS-B Weather that has been tested is with the Avidyne SkyTrax 100. However, again, any unit that complies with "Capstone Weather" protocol may work. I am familiar with the Transponder Noise in the Headsets. I have found that rerouting the Transponder Antenna Coax away from the center rack by the audio panel helps. A good path is across the copilots knee panel to the side. Then forward to the firewall, back across and then down to the antenna, seemed to helped!!!

I really appreciated his professionalism and responses! Super support IMO. Now I’ve got to figure out if the GDL 88 supports the Capstone WX protocol (I think that was GDL 90) and if that in turn means the EX5000C will display Traffic and FIS-B WX from the 88.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:47pm
Hopefully Avidyne will make an announcement after Sun and Fun about new releases or revisions
billyhsat@gmail.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyhsat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:43pm
From Avidyne:

The EX-5000 MFD SW Ver 8.2 has been approved by the FAA and is pending Release by the Type Certificate Holder (Cirrus/Piper).

Since the Units were installed by the OEMs, they are the ones that need to approve the release. As of this date no bulletin has been issued by Cirrus/Piper.

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:27pm
After reviewing all the Cirrus Service Bulletins and Service Advisories, the only time a bulletin was issued was when a discrepancy was encountered or for Cirrus specific data such as Checklist update. The only one for the MFD update was Avidyne Software Update for the MFD EX5000: Release 6.2.1. There were none issued for Release 7.x or 8.x

"Avidyne Corporation has released service instructions for updating the Avidyne EX5000 Series MFD software to Release 6.2.1. Highlights of this software revision include: • Resolution of a condition where a message reading “RECEIVER BROADCAST ERROR” is displayed and approximately 10 minutes later, the message, “XM CLIENT TERMINATED” is displayed, • Improved refresh rates for XM Weather products (NexRad, METARS, etc.)."
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:25am
I contacted Cirrus, this is the reply, which puts it back in Avidyne hands.

Ibrahim

According to our engineering department Cirrus will not be acting on this software update from Avidyne.

Joshua Hoskins
Manager Field Service
Cirrus Aircraft | 904-806-5961
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 hours 23 minutes ago at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

I contacted Cirrus, this is the reply, which puts it back in Avidyne hands.

Ibrahim

According to our engineering department Cirrus will not be acting on this software update from Avidyne.

Joshua Hoskins
Manager Field Service
Cirrus Aircraft | 904-806-5961

It doesn't put it in Avidyne's hands. The holder of the type certificate, Cirrus, can choose to issue an update bulletin if they want, but Avidyne can't. Some flight testing by Cirrus and some other costs may be involved that they don't want to commit resources to.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 30 minutes ago at 6:30am
I find that response from Cirrus a bit odd given the 5500+ Avidyne equipped airplanes in the fleet. I would not trust the response and would look to talk with someone else like a regional service rep. I’d also talk to someone at Oshkosh.

This doesn’t seem accurate.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic