Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new ADS-B wx products coming soon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new ADS-B wx products coming soon
    Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:35pm
Meanwhile, Garmin lays down a marker for supporting this feature in their products: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/aviation/new-ads-b-flight-information-service-broadcast-fis-b-weather-products/

No disrespect intended to the Avi team, but I have to say that this is a good example of how G* got where they are. They have clearly communicated here to their customers and potential customers what they're doing, and that their ADS-B In gear doesn't require an update but the displays do... then they provide a guideline for when to expect display updates.

This is not much more than has been communicated here by Steve (thanks again, Steve!), but if you did a casual Google search to get the answer to the question of whether brand X would support the new products I don't think it would be easy to discover Avidyne's story.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

I will bet Skytrax is an orphaned product.

So you're suggesting the Skytrax 100 won't be able to receive and display the new ADS-B additions?

What say Avidyne?
While we haven't specifically tested this, it is our understanding that the Skytrax100 forwards all contents of the FIS-B stream on to the IFD (subject to bandwidth limitations).  As was suggested, however, an IFD software change will be required to display the new products.  No schedule for that yet, though.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 3:43pm
I read in some Stratux group that no changes to the Stratux software are needed to add the new products. The receiver just passes the data along. It is up to a particular EFB to interpret it and display it. Thus, the SkyTrax shouldn't need a software update, but the IFD and any apps that use its data do.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:07am
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

What say Avidyne?

They haven't said, but I hope they will soon.

My understanding is that the ADS-B format standards originally included all these wx products, but they haven't been transmitted. A forward-looking developer might have included decoding for all those formats in their original product, as opposed to planning an update later-- it would be easier and cheaper to certify everything once instead of going through the process 2x.

The real question then... was NavWorx forward-looking enough to do this? If so, yay. If not, all us MLB100 owners are h-o-s-e-d.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 9:03am

So you're suggesting the Skytrax 100 won't be able to receive and display the new ADS-B additions?

What say Avidyne?
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 7:40am
Nice! Any hint at all re: timeline for availability?
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:41pm
Well, they have gone with the FreeFlight Rangr box, announced at Sun n Fun.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Apr 2018 at 2:41pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:13pm
Weird. Both posts of mine were well after oskrypuch’s.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:12pm
I posted well after oskrypunch. I read his e-mail before I posted, yet my post came up before his.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 2:09pm
I wish they would go to a box with dual-band reception. Th FreeFlight product is like the SkyTrax, that only revés UAT/978 MHz signals. I would like to be able to receive direct broadcasts from other planes with 1090 ES transponders, like the AXP340 that I have. Sometimes I’m not near a UAT tower so I’d rather get the transponder sinpgnal directly. I’d even pay for the upgrade, if it were available.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:49pm

In view of that, Avi needs to come up with an appropriate exchange program for/with whatever rebranded box they market next.
David Gates
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 12:54am
'Sure want to know if we can get these without updates to the Skytrax only to the ifd
Dave
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 9:10pm
Wow, icing forecast potential, and cloud tops. Very handy. Hopefully it will push XM sub prices down. 

* Orest

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 3:12pm
WOOOOO! Take a look at page 5 here. ADS-B will be broadcasting six new data types "in 2018":
  • center wx advisories
  • cloud tops
  • G-AIRMETs
  • icing forecast potential
  • lightning strikes
  • turbulence
These will require display device updates, of course. I am super curious about Avidyne's plans to support these in the IFD series (and I hope to God that these changes don't require a SkyTrax 100 firmware update or I'll be SOL).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic