Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LPV Message

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LPV Message
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 10:04am
Hi
I picked up my aircraft from the maintenance shop where the 540/440 got updated to the latest software (what a ripp off, I got charged 5 hours = 500+ euros about 600 USD. At this rate, I am only going to update if I have bugs)

The problem is that I flew a few test approaches into LFGA all LPVs. The 440 gave me a warning saying that LPV was not available that I should use LNAV minima instead while the 540 was not giving the alert.

Is it just the 440 that was not getting the correct information and I can continue on my LPV to minimus as the 540 was not signaling anything or is this message valid for both boxes?

If it is valid just for the box reporting this alert why would one box be good and the other one not?

Thanks
Placido
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 12:21pm
My shop charged me 1/2 hr for the logbook sticker. Now, they gave me the USB and I baby-sat the install in my hangar, and  I have a very good relation$hip with them.

It is possible that for some reason the 440 was seeing a poorer GPS solution, and as such did not have sufficient accuracy to give you an LPV approach. Pretty sure the manual lists other reasons for the downgrade.

* Orest

Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by luchetto luchetto wrote:

Hi
I picked up my aircraft from the maintenance shop where the 540/440 got updated to the latest software (what a ripp off, I got charged 5 hours = 500+ euros about 600 USD. At this rate, I am only going to update if I have bugs)
That's absurd.  Find a different shop.  My shop charged me ZERO!  During most of the upgrade time, they were off doing other things charging someone else.  Very little time was actually spent in front of the unit.  What Orest was charged is very reasonable and consistent with the actual difficulty of the whole process.
Bob
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 11:02pm
5 hours?  What the heck could they possibly have been doing for 5 hours?  I would definitely question them them on this and let them know this charge is totally ludicrous.  I did the install myself with an A&P who signed it off and it took me 1 hour per box and I was really slow.

Edited by teeth6 - 23 Mar 2018 at 11:03pm
S Sinton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Sinton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:09am
How does one go about obtaining the update to load themselves?  We have several A&P/IA mechanics on staff but we are new to Avidyne.  Our two IFD 440's are installed in our MU-2, so I'd rather do the update myself vs. spending the day flying to/from an avionics shop if possible.  
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:26am
Try contacting tech support. The only downside is that if you “brick” a unit, there could be a substantial charge from Avidyne to fix it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic