Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:25pm
In the IFD wifi setup, change the names that indicate what wifi mode the IFD is programmed for.  

In wifi setup, change the name "local" to "internal wifi" or just "internal," and change "remote" to "external wifi" or just "external."

I think that nomenclature is more intuitive, and will be less likely to require digging into the manual to figure out what the settings mean, and to make sure it's set correctly.  As I find myself changing the wifi setting from time to time as I experiment and troubleshoot with different portable devices, it does get easier to remember.  But I think it's better not to be quite so puzzled about what "local" and "remote" indicate in the first place.
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 10:29pm
I was reminded in flight today of one minor nit pick I'd love to see fixed in 10.3.  When you use the righthand knob to scroll your flight plan all the way to the bottom, the tabs along the bottom of the screen still cover up part of your last waypoint.  You have you use your finger to drag the flight plan upward the last little bit, if you want to click on any of the fields towards the bottom of that last waypoint box.  Seems like a bug to me, and no I don't want to enable auto-hide of the tabs.  I like them there all the time. :)
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
LarryPetro View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LarryPetro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:16am
Jimmyz80, you could set the user preference that makes the tabs retract after, say, 5 seconds.
Larry Petro - Columbia 350 @ KFME
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:33am
I think Jimmy said he likes the tabs there all the time 
palmjet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palmjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:49am
Here are some suggestions for features I'm presently missing:

1. A Present position Hold.

If you want to program a hold at the Present Position, this cannot be reasonably achieved. It does not happen often that this occurs, certainly not in the USA, but it does happen sometimes as I experienced.
Most bigger plane FMS's can do this.
First a Waypoint has to be defined at the Present Position after which it is possible to program a holding at that point. By the time you fill in the box with the holding data and then execute it, the aircraft will make a 180 back to the point where the waypoint was created.
The right procedure would be to provide an option "PPHOLD" after which a box should open to enter data (a standard hold as default), then after entering and verifying the data the holding waypoint can be created and executed immediately. This would be also great for orbiting.

2. Oceanic waypoint entry.

Kind of same problem here. When trying to enter for example N50W035 as a waypoint, the box comes back with "please enter a valid identifier or value", because after entering a few digits it cannot find something in the database. In an oceanic database there are nowadays preprogrammed waypoints like "H5250" (= N52.30W050), but if it is desired to enter the point N50W035, first a waypoint has to be defined, where after the coordinates can be entered and only then that waypoint can be used.
This is of course very time consuming in flight. On top of that the defined waypoint can have any given name and therefore has no direct indication for what it stands for.
The solution is to have it accept coordinates and then provide a software generated identifier, which must not collide with predefined waypoints, this in line with other FMS systems

3. Abeam Points

Suppose you are flying a flightplan with multiple points to a destination: a-b-c-d-e-f-g
Flying from "b" to "c" ATC clears direct to "f" so direct to "f" is entered and executed. The IFD then shows a direct line to "f", but the intermediate points "c" "d" and "e" are lost (they are still visible on the FMS page by scrolling back). What really is wanted by the pilot is a perpendicular projection of the previous waypoints on the now direct track to "f", with software generated points on that direct track with names like "Cxxxx" and "Dxxxx" where the x's stand for a distance from the original fix or another value. Now it's possible to follow the progress of the flight better with fuel consumption and time over waypoint. Suggest to program a "soft default" when entering a direct in the flight plan if there will be waypoints skipped, which says "ABM points?". If not touched or pressed, but the 'ENTR" button is pressed, then a direct without abeam points will be executed, otherwise the abeam points will show up after pressing "ENTR".

I am aware that these options are not so interesting for VFR use, but as these IFD's are so well designed they can and will be used for advanced operations.

Regards,

Andre

ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:53pm
+1 on the Present Position Hold... neat idea. 

Doug
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by palmjet palmjet wrote:

Here are some suggestions for features I'm presently missing:

1. A Present position Hold.
2. Oceanic waypoint entry.
3. Abeam Points

Present position holds have been on my short list for a while.  As you say, oceanic Lat/Lon waypoint entries and abeam points are more big iron features.  We are aware of them but we have quite a few other features that would be implemented before those.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

[...

Present position holds have been on my short list for a while. 

Present Postion would be a great waypoint to have on the fly. To that, let me refresh an idea from a post I made back in 2014 ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feature request: special waypoints

Yes, you can use the "create user waypoint" dialog to first create all of the below format waypoints, before using them, but when entering a flightplan it would be much faster if you didn't have to sidetrack to that function. Why not just allow them to be entered directly in a special format.

Fairly typical in an FMS is the below approach:

Crossing radials:
JFK190/CYN100

rad/dist:
JFK190/25

5nm before a waypoint (eg. HOPCE) already in the flightplan:
HOPCE/-5

lat/long, N 47.0, W 080.0
N470W0800

Lat/long in flightplans is becoming more common, especially out west. Being able to enter them directly on the fly, would be much more efficient. Really, the same with all the above.

Using the above construct, you also wouldn't litter the user waypoint list with obscure waypoints.

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Jul 2018 at 10:27pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:10pm
There there is this one, would really like to see this. This is from 2012!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feature Request: What about a FIX page?

This is a "big boy" feature that allows you to draw on screen radials and circumferences from a waypoint. They are persistent, and not specifically related to your flight plan. (there were several on the MFD page, in my post asking about the BB)

Superb for spatial orientation, especially in busy airspace, or on final approach. At a glance you know you should be close to the OM, or when to drop your speed, or gear or whatever. 

Also excellent when performing complicated SIDs by hand. You can draw in a DME x.x nm circle where you might need to start a turn as you ascend, and then draw in a VOR radial (like an OBS display, but not linked to the flightplan) that you need to intercept. 

I routinely draw in a 10nm and 20nm circle around my destination aiport, and then I think 6000 AGL at 20, and 3 at 10, makes sure you are on track. Just add 3000 ft AGL for an approach to an airport in the opposite direction from the active runway. 

"Fix" circles have been drawn in at 10nm & 20nm, centered on KSEA (737 MFD) 

Very simple user interface, you just specify a radial (optionally), a distance, and the reference waypoint.

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Jul 2018 at 10:11pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:13pm
A vertical offset to the computed VNav path would be very handy.

Feature Request: add a VNav path indicator

This is entirely akin to a glideslope/glidepath indicator, but would instead reflect your relative position as compared to your desired descent (or ascent) profile as reflected in the specified vertical constrains and your specified default VSR.

From the graphic of the FIX page request above, note the white linear graphic with the magenta diamond on the right side of the graphic. This is depicting the aircraft "on" VNav path. Besides floating the diamond up/down as this changes, you could also display the number of feet high/low, in comparison to the computed vertical path.

This would be a very cool "big boy" feature to add to the IFDs, in concert of course with the Boeing Banana, which we finally have & love!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Jul 2018 at 10:14pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:16pm
OK, I'm a little out of control, but here is another one, from 2014.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feature Request: ADD TOD to flightplan list

Subject says it. 
Why? Well it provides time of arrival at, and time until to, the TOD. 

Of course, it would be a special non-editable point. 

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Jul 2018 at 10:17pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:19pm
Here is another oldie request ...

Feature Request: better highlight of next waypoint

I am often left straining to see the precise location of the next waypoint on the screen, especially on approach when the screen starts to become busier. Sure there are datablocks, but I like to be able to visually gauge my position.

As such, I'd like to request two simple things that would go a long way to this, or if you have any other bright ideas!

1)  increase the NEXT waypoint indicator size by say 50%, and give it a slightly stronger border

2)  reverse the order of the "barber pole" magenta/white striping, so that the first stripe past the NEXT waypoint is WHITE, instead of MAGENTA, that helps give further contrast.

I have done a little editing in the image below to show what I mean. And although I don't depict it, changing the barber pole to something like 75% white/25% magenta would make it even stronger and less visually confusing.

And for that matter, you might wish to slightly increase the size of the other waypoint marks too.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:21pm
And one more, this should be easy ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feature Request: FAF annunciation 

Say five seconds before passing the FAF, have an aural annunciation &CAS alert of "FAF AHEAD" or something like that. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:22pm
I added the above topics over the years, always using the Feature Request: xkxkxkxkxkx thread title format, so they are easy to find. Some have been added, including the famous Boeing Banana, but most have not.

Jake has added at least some of these to the old request database. Don't know if that is still active. But, perhaps it is time to brush the cobwebs off on these.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Jul 2018 at 10:31pm
Stefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 7:52am
I would like to second Oliver Bucher, I have exactly the same issue: Visual approach guidance (please also for user airfields, cause I am flying on a small glider airfield in Germany)

Secondly I would want to be able to calculate sunset/sunrise for those smaller user airfields / user waypoints as well, currently it does that only for database airports. Many thanks

jeffcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 4:04am
I am wondering whether it would be possible for RNAV approaches, to show the required altitude appropriate for the distance to the active waypoint in the approach. Updated every few seconds.
In the active leg of the approach flight plan, the magenta "tile" already shows the distance to the next waypoint in the approach, ETE etc.
In that same "tile", could the altitude that matches the approach profile/distance be displayed.
Then it is a simple matter to compare that number with the altimeter.The altimeter altitude is adjusted for QNH, so it would be a very accurate reference.
The vertical bars which appear in the HSI after the IF are very good, but I assume they are GPS height.
We don't have WAAS in Australia so GPS altitude can be inaccurate. Therefore a comparison of required altitude with actual altimeter altitude would be an excellent indicator of whether the aircraft is on the approach profile.
It would save constantly looking at the approach plate and extrapolating the distance and required altitude.
Jeff
Jeff
jeffcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 4:09am
I have another request.
I would like the designated waypoint datablock to be a completely unusual colour, so that no matter where you place it, it is immediately apparent it is not any part of the flight plan.
Regards
Jeff
Jeff
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2018 at 9:07am
The tiles slide up and down.  How about remembering where they were positioned between flights?  I have the designated waypoint datablock as the top one on the left and always scroll down so it is off the page and I can see the rest of the blocks I want to see.  If I ever need that block, I know to scroll to the top and its always right there before any of the flight plan blocks.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 1:05pm
Add a Nearby VFR Waypoints category to the INFO tab data for an airfield, showing both name, id, coord, etc, with dct to capability just like the Nearby Navaids category. Or the VFR waypoints could just be added to the nearby navaids list.
Vince
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Add a Nearby VFR Waypoints category to the INFO tab data for an airfield, showing both name, id, coord, etc, with dct to capability just like the Nearby Navaids category. Or the VFR waypoints could just be added to the nearby navaids list.
I'm not interested in cluttering up the info area with additional tabs that are not critical to IFR flight or adding VFR waypoints to the NAVAID list.  I understand from your post under New VFR Waypoint File for 1808 that the purpose of this request is to avoid scanning the screen to the destination, especially if it is some distance away.  Scanning can be avoided and the VFR waypoint easily brought onto the screen by simply using "Cursor View".

Edited by Bob H - 09 Aug 2018 at 6:04pm
Bob
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 3:40pm
Just flew after upgrading from 540 v10.2.0 to v10.2.2.0 and playing with the "Boeing Banana" - Way cool.

I recall someone already commented on trying to make the icon larger/wider... Any plans for this?

Tom W.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 4:55pm
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">Avidyne has said they will make that improvement in a future release.
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 5:32pm
When in a flight plan on the "Route" tab, add an LSK (4 is free!) to "Activate this route"

So many times I find myself reviewing a plan, then going back to the route list and then think "which plan was that I just reviewed?"

Similarly, when I've found a typo in a text field (typically the "Name" in a waypoint, or a route), the only way to correct it is to re-type the whole thing - open to ideas about how to best address that
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 6:15pm
Feature Request: RF leg support

Brushing off the cobwebs on an existing request using the format also suggested by Orest:

We haven't heard anything about whether 10.3 will be out this decade, but I for one would be most disappointed if it doesn't include support for RF legs.

I am told that the Garmin GTN now supports RF legs, and that alone would almost make me consider swapping out my IFD440 for one. These are starting to pop up around Europe now (e.g RNAV 05 @ LFST), and the two RNAV approaches with them at the airport where I fly would be real time-savers. The RF procedures have 3500' at the FAF rather than 6000' on the other approaches, because the final track is joined so much closer to the airport. And they don't require RNAV-1 or RNP-1.

I think it was Steve that said that the capability is present and just needs the flight tests be done to get FAA signoff. If Avidyne doesn't have the time to work that into their testing profiles for 10.3, then I'd be concerned about the future.

Edited by chflyer - 13 Sep 2018 at 6:20pm
Vince
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Awful Charlie Awful Charlie wrote:

When in a flight plan on the "Route" tab, add an LSK (4 is free!) to "Activate this route"

So many times I find myself reviewing a plan, then going back to the route list and then think "which plan was that I just reviewed?"

Similarly, when I've found a typo in a text field (typically the "Name" in a waypoint, or a route), the only way to correct it is to re-type the whole thing - open to ideas about how to best address that
I am always an advocate for less is more.  Nothing is “free” when it comes to software.  In regard to reviewing or editing in the Route Tab, there are two things that should help avoid confusion about which route to activate.  One is that the route names should be unique so that there is no confusion about which route has which flight plan waypoints.  The second is that when leaving Route Edit mode and going back to the Route List, the IFD always defaults to the route that was just edited.  So, after editing or reviewing, and then returning to the Route List, just press Activate Route.  Another thing to consider is that the Route Edit page looks very similar to the FPL expanded active flight plan page.  In a high workload situation, it would not be good to have activate LSK’s on almost identical looking screens that resulted in completely different actions.  That could be confusing and disorienting at just the wrong time.
I too have occasionally been annoyed that I have to enter the entire waypoint again.  But what I’ve found is that geo-fill eliminates much of the button pushing to the point that, in most cases, if I could move the cursor, it wouldn’t be any fewer button pushes.  Geo-fill often finds the right waypoint after only two button pushes, maybe three if it's an airport.

Edited by Bob H - 13 Sep 2018 at 7:43pm
Bob
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 11:18am
Add seconds to the Waypoint ETE datablock.  It is inefficient to have to switch over to the FMS page to see the seconds, and then the map isn't visible.  There appears to be enough room in the datablock for seconds without expanding the vertical size of the datablock.  That may require that the hours not exceed one digit, but realistically, who flies legs of more than 9 hours and 59 minutes anyway?

Edited by AZ Flyer - 14 Sep 2018 at 11:19am
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 6:38am
I most want improvements in VNAV handling - which is already a strength of the 540.

Some of the VNAV features G*** introduced in GTN sw version 6.5 and before are worth looking at;
- Synthetic glideslope provided onto any runway meeting certain criteria - great safety feature
- "Along Track" WPT, before or after a named waypoint, and set an Altitude or Level there. So if you are given "...to be level x miles before..."

Would be cool to work with Aspen to get a glideslope also in enroute and terminal phases based on altitude restrictions and a set rate of descent.

I have noticed also that many waypoints on arrivals, approaches where the plate has an 'at' altitude the 540 by default has it as an 'at or above' altitude so I have to manually change that in the flight plan. Would be good to review whether this is correctly implemented.

Edited by jhbehrens - 20 Sep 2018 at 6:41am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 5:48pm
Quote - "Along Track" WPT, before or after a named waypoint, and set an Altitude or Level there. So if you are given "...to be level x miles before..."

That has been available for a long time, just select the waypoint, and set so many miles before (after), and an altitude restraint. The additional waypoint, and VNav guidance will appear, together with the Boeing Banana when applicable.

The enroute VNav guidance with a graphical vertical deviation indicator would be good to have, it would nicely complement the banana and numeric guidance. I did request that some time ago, hopefully it is in the database.

Having advisory guidance to any runway would be nice too, but remember that you can set the airport altitude, at the airport, as the next vertical constraint, and then you can use the banana.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Sep 2018 at 5:52pm
Mirslaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirslaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 1:12am
I like #2 a lot too!
ugusko View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ugusko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 12:40pm
I would like a new User-Setting. 
We have in our Club in 4 from 9 ac a IFD-540. 2 in a IFR-rated plane. We are about 250 pilots using the planes.
1. I would love to use the IFD100 but I have to give the full credentials from Jeppesen to all the pilots. Thats not what i really do. By the way the IFD100 Setup is connected to one ac, thats also unusable for us.
2. Some pilots fly IFR, the most VFR; and all pilots can change some thing for their own predictions. Would it be possible to install a Default VFR an IFR Layout with "supervisory rights" and became a easy to use "Switch" for every pilot to reset the settings to "Default VFR" or "Default IFR".

I know, that these are big changes, but there is a slight hope for perhaps 10.5.?

Uwe
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Quote - "Along Track" WPT, before or after a named waypoint, and set an Altitude or Level there. So if you are given "...to be level x miles before..."

That has been available for a long time, just select the waypoint, and set so many miles before (after), and an altitude restraint. The additional waypoint, and VNav guidance will appear, together with the Boeing Banana when applicable.

* Orest

Is there any way to do that within a published approach?  For instance, on a GPS-E approach if I want to see guidance to get down to the MDA three miles before the normal MDA fix?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 6:44pm
Well, the MDA does not appear as a discrete waypoint, so you can't attach a vertical constraint to it.

You would have to create the vertical constraint from the airport fix, and allow for the slightly different distance.

* Orest

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:22pm
Thanks.  It would be nice to be able to use the runway fix as the MDA waypoint and have the altitude and miles before options available as with other nonapproach waypoints.  I did get the banana by putting the MDA in the destination airport, so at least that is there.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 22 Sep 2018 at 8:25pm
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2018 at 11:35am

You are completely right of course, just never considered using it for that purpose.

Having advisory guidance to any runway would be nice too, but remember that you can set the airport altitude, at the airport, as the next vertical constraint, and then you can use the banana.

This feature really requires a glideslope indication on the Aspen/HSI to be useful - effectively GTNs now allow you to fly quasi LNAV/VNAV approaches to any runway

Edited by jhbehrens - 24 Sep 2018 at 11:38am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 9:04pm
Develop IFD X40 display capability of TASA 1090-ADSB IN using UAT Format
 - just like with MLB UAT 978-In - with Speed Vectors + all other good info.

Tom W.
ChainSaw View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ChainSaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 9:20pm
Enable the ifd 440 WAAS  to drive a moving IFR enroute low chart on the ifd100. The ifd 100 needs to be able to use ifr and vfr charts since the ifd440 cannot. This would be the ultimate award-winning nav combo. 
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Feature Request: RF leg support

...... I am told that the Garmin GTN now supports RF legs...

GTN750 users are now flying approaches with RF legs in Europe, and pireps indicate that it is a piece of cake, easier than a DME arc.

Not sure why Avidyne are dragging their feet on this as Garmin now has a clear competitive advantage in Europe with the increasing number of IAPs with RF legs.

Very little Avidyne input to the forum these days, but it would be nice to hear some explanation. The last input on the subject was that only some flight tests were needed to make it happen and flight time and staff were available for Aviation Consumer. ;-)

Vince
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 2:46am
+1 from another European user looking for RF legs.

The G* VNAV on VFR approaches looks nice too (even more so if you have a 550 I guess!)
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 12:38pm
How about doing away with the “Allow WiFi” pop up on boot up?
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 5:23pm
My understanding from older posts is that the COM/NAV receiver in the IFD is actually a DSP receiver.  Could the software be modified so that it always monitors the guard frequency?  If it detected something it could put up a box that would allow the user to listen (or listen and transmit) on the frequency.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 5:40pm
I thought it was recommended to always be monitoring guard on a 2nd radio on cross countries.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:46pm
Bring back aural traffic alerts including cardinal direction and altitude.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 4:12am
Originally posted by Paul Paul wrote:

My understanding from older posts is that the COM/NAV receiver in the IFD is actually a DSP receiver.  Could the software be modified so that it always monitors the guard frequency?  If it detected something it could put up a box that would allow the user to listen (or listen and transmit) on the frequency.

I can see the attraction, but in EU land I think there needs to be an option to turn this off - the majority of transmissions on 121.5 appear to be misdirected cabin PA's, and I don't want to be interrupted on approach with one of those!

(FWIW, my SOP is to hold the flip-flop on #2 after establishing in the climb/cruise to swap the old freq into the standby and allow me to monitor 121.5, and then use #2 as required for VOLMET and ATIS. When on approach I don't need 121.5 any more as a) I'm busy, and b) likely the centre I'm with will be able to hear it. I have the standby freq. on #1 connected to the audio panel, so can potentially listen to three at a time)

However, VOLMET is not in the Jepp database, so I have these programmed up in the frequency list on #2, but still need a paper table to resolve the station to the frequency/stored position (remember - no UAT weather over here), so it would be nice to attach some text to each stored Com frequency
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:13pm
At least 98% of squelch breaks on 121.5 are bogus, either noise, chewie, wrong freq, what have you.  The IFDs already have a monitor capability (that needs the volume to be MUCH louder), I personally feel that is sufficient.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 8:23pm
I'm fairly certain that the monitor volume can be adjusted under Aux/Audio/Standby Com.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 8:38am
Pilots need to decide how their aircraft is configured and behaves, not software engineers.  I think this is a bad idea.  
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 10:46pm
How about putting estimate for a enroute intersection on the map beside the name. Too much time looking for things. That is where it is on most fmc😇’s. I am starting to use iPad less and goin* back to just basics. To much clutter.
Khuffine
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 5:33pm
I'm assuming that the action when detecting something on the guard frequency would be selected by the user - it could do nothing, or give a visual or audio notification or play what is being received.  Maybe it could even analyze it and behave differently depending on whether it was a voice or static.

Or maybe there's a way to listen to the guard frequency on the standby frequency when it isn't being used for something else that doesn't require pressing many buttons, in which case someone can tell me how to do it.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 8:21am
The #1 thing I'd like for 10.3 is a release date.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2018 at 10:39am
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

How about doing away with the “Allow WiFi” pop up on boot up?

+1 Have wifi/bt automatically enable unless disabled in settings.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic