Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 5:55am
Hi,

Load a SID to replace a missed approach procedure on any destination airports. 

"After low approach follow xyz SID Departure" is the most common procedure on IFR training.

SID can only be loaded on the Origin Waypoint. Thats very complicated in flight.

Regards Guenter  
guenter_ms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guenter_ms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 6:26am
Hi,

don't activate a SID when on ground. Today this leads to a senseless circle, depending on actual heading e.g. at runway holding position. To correct that, you have to line up on runway and make a "direct to" to the 1st waypoint in SID, to get a straight magenta line on the runway. This is very uncomfortable in this critical phase of the flight especially when ATC asks for a rolling takeoff. See picture and try on the simulator app.

Regards Guenter

Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:06am

Hi AC11 – I’ve given this topic a lot more thought.  When providing approach guidance, Avidyne and Jepp must provide a level of clarity and consistency that applies to all flight situations and all users.

Originally posted by ac11 ac11 wrote:

In terms of selecting an IF in violation of TERPS, then you've got a bad clearance and need to query the controller.
A pilot selecting an IF in violation of TERPS is not at all about a bad clearance from ATC.  ATC provides approach clearances in non-radar environments and can even provide “Cleared for the Approach” without specifying the approach to be flown – leaving it up to the pilot.  If given an IF choice along with IAF and other transition choices, many pilots will automatically think that it is an acceptable entry regardless of circumstances, which might lead to an unapproved approach entry.  At the very least, it sets up confusion to have the approach plate differ from the nav data.  So, it just doesn’t make sense for Avidyne and Jepp to provide an IF choice for ALL approaches that should only be flown some of the time.  Whereas the approach transition choices now can all be flown under any circumstances in accordance with the published chart.  So, I don’t think Avidyne and Jepp have any other choice but to provide the procedure to the pilot exactly as charted.  I suspect the FAA wouldn’t approve anything else either.
Originally posted by ac11 ac11 wrote:

We would no longer have to focus on what needs to be skipped, and when, if we had the option to just select what is appropriate. I like to set up my approach in advance to minimize workload, and disagree with the notion that just loading everything is a good idea. If I can't make it match my clearance, then it becomes more button pushing, heads-down watching and verification that I need to do something to make it right.
As far as making the IFD match your clearance, ATC clears us all the time Direct to Waypoints down the line.  When that happens, what’s in the IFD no longer matches our clearance.  I doubt many pilots delete those intervening waypoints to get them to match.  They just focus on the current waypoint and beyond and ignore the waypoints not being flown.  This is easily done and applies just as well when on an approach. 

Setting up an approach in advance to minimize workload is always great, but with the IF option, we often don’t have the info about where ATC will put us on the approach all that far in advance, so you may need to delay loading the approach until you know.  I feel activating a leg or going Direct To is trivial with minimal heads-down, and given the above, I prefer that option. 

The world would be quite boring if we all had the same opinion.  I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree and let Avidyne sort it out.

Bob
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 9:43am
Well, that is why we have 29 flavors of ice cream.

You can be cleared, and you can fly to an IF to start an approach, but as BobH says, not in every circumstance. (interception angle is the biggie) That may well be why they are not accessible when selecting the approach. 

After adding an approach, very easy to then just select a direct to (IF), when permitted, to an IF. I don't see the point of removing the other waypoints, myself, either.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Mar 2018 at 9:46am
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:42am
I'm not sure I understand the desire to be able to delete the PT. If the PT is part of the selected transition, then it is a required part of the procedure. It seems to me that if you are being vectored for an approach there are several easy options:

1) Select the "Vectors" transition for VTF operation if expecting vectors to just outside the FAF

2) Select an appropriate transition that includes any fix(s) outside the FAF where you expect to intercept the approach. If this transition includes a "Hold (crs rev)" that you don't expect to fly, those holds can be cleared from the active FPL by highlighting the "Hold (crs rev)" fix in the FPL then pushing the CLR key. When actually getting vectored to the approach course, Activate Leg to the fix you expect to intercept the approach course just outside of. This technique also works for for the FAF if you aren't using VTF.

3) If you select a transition with a procedure turn but are in fact not flying that transition procedure because you are being vectored to a straight in approach course for instance; once on vectors simply Activate Leg to the fix just below the ProcTurn fix in the FPL if that will be the next fix crossed. Otherwise choose another more appropriate FPL fix below the ProcTurn fix to Activate Leg to.

Keep in mind, any time Activate Leg is used, the magenta line starts at the FPL fix just prior to the active FPL fix. Even though the magenta line may not extend to the aircraft's current location, IFD course deviation and CDI indications are still valid for the extended leg to the active fix.

I too would would like to see the "No Via" option for SIDs and STARs in order to fly just the common route. Every other FMS/FMC/FMGC I have worked with has this option for SIDs and STARs. I am not in favor of having a via from every point within each SID and STAR transition as I think this could make it much more cumbersome to find the correct fix on the more complicated STARs.

Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the desire to be able to delete the PT. If the PT is part of the selected transition, then it is a required part of the procedure.
Not always.  From the AIM: Pilots are also expected to fly the straight−in approach when ATC provides radar vectors and monitoring to the IF/IAF and issues a “straight-in” approach clearance; otherwise, the pilot is expected to execute the HILPT course reversal.

2) Select an appropriate transition that includes any fix(s) outside the FAF where you expect to intercept the approach. If this transition includes a "Hold (crs rev)" that you don't expect to fly, those holds can be cleared from the active FPL by highlighting the "Hold (crs rev)" fix in the FPL then pushing the CLR key.
Not so, as I and others have recently learned.  A standard procedure turn can’t be deleted.  See AviSteve’s statement up-thread: "The current [IFD] design allows you to delete a holding pattern within an approach unless the hold leg is identified as the FAF.  Allowing procedure turns to be deleted is not as straightforward as one may think, but we'll consider it."

3) If you select a transition with a procedure turn but are in fact not flying that transition procedure because you are being vectored to a straight in approach course for instance; once on vectors simply Activate Leg to the fix just below the ProcTurn fix in the FPL if that will be the next fix crossed. Otherwise choose another more appropriate FPL fix below the ProcTurn fix to Activate Leg to.
The IFD is flexible enough to accommodate all these scenarios.  I’m perfectly fine with just activating the leg beyond the course reversal.  However, others might call these workarounds and just feel that it would be simpler to just delete the Course Reversal and not have to consider what leg to activate when.  I don’t have a preference either way but understand why some folks do.  However, I do not want under any circumstances to be prompted on every approach about whether I will be executing the course reversal.

Bob
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the desire to be able to delete the PT. If the PT is part of the selected transition, then it is a required part of the procedure.
Not always.  From the AIM: Pilots are also expected to fly the straight−in approach when ATC provides radar vectors and monitoring to the IF/IAF and issues a “straight-in” approach clearance; otherwise, the pilot is expected to execute the HILPT course reversal.

Thanks for the AIM reference; where did I reference HILPTs above? I was referring to standard PTs.

2) Select an appropriate transition that includes any fix(s) outside the FAF where you expect to intercept the approach. If this transition includes a "Hold (crs rev)" that you don't expect to fly, those holds can be cleared from the active FPL by highlighting the "Hold (crs rev)" fix in the FPL then pushing the CLR key.
Not so, as I and others have recently learned.  A standard procedure turn can’t be deleted.  See AviSteve’s statement up-thread: "The current [IFD] design allows you to delete a holding pattern within an approach unless the hold leg is identified as the FAF.  Allowing procedure turns to be deleted is not as straightforward as one may think, but we'll consider it."

In this quote I actually was referencing HILPTs, not standard PTs. Nowhere did I imply that I thought standard PTs could be deleted. Non-FAF HILPTs, however, can easily be deleted from the FPL.

The IFD is flexible enough to accommodate all these scenarios.  I’m perfectly fine with just activating the leg beyond the course reversal.  However, others might call these workarounds and just feel that it would be simpler to just delete the Course Reversal and not have to consider what leg to activate when.  I don’t have a preference either way but understand why some folks do.  However, I do not want under any circumstances to be prompted on every approach about whether I will be executing the course reversal.

I absolutely agree and think we are essentially saying the same thing.

I would be careful about always "activating the leg beyond the course reversal." Many RNAV (GPS) approach have IF/IAFs that are HILPTs that are noted as NoPT depending the direction the fix is approached from. When selecting one of these approaches, the IFD always loads includes the HILPT regardless of the direction it is approaching from. If approaching the IF/IAF from a NoPT direction, the hold needs to be cleared from the FPL in order for the IFD to retain the direct to the IF/IAF and sequence to the next fix properly without the HILPT.

I am also fine with how the IFD currently handles these situations.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 7:52pm
Hi dmtidler - I went back and re-read your post after seeing your comments and I can see that I did not read as precisely as you wrote.  You were certainly VERY specific in describing the conditions under which deletions and others action can and should be taken.  I tended to merge some of your course reversal types together.  We have had a lot of discussion in this thread about deleting all course reversals that I missed the subtle distinctions that you were making in regard to deleting only a specific type of course reversal.  Sorry for my misunderstanding.

I agree. We certainly  are on the same page and saying the same thing.  
Bob
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 8:54pm
Bob,

Thanks!

I had the feeling that my comments were misread as I tried to be as factual and specific as possible. In my view, the IFD handling of FPL PTs vs HILPTs are two entirely different animals and and may necessitate two different albeit simple methods of dealing with if the approach is not being flown utilizing a procedurally loaded PT or HILPT (I.e. straight-in).

I’ve also followed this thread and others carefully regarding this issue and finally decided to add my two cents as I personally don’t see this as a limiting issue in the current IFD operation.

I too, think we are on the same page and saying the same thing.

Regards
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:54pm
These pictures are off the simulator.  Note the Delete Hold and Skip Hold in the lower left.  The Delete Hold changed to Skip Hold as the aircraft approached the hold.  I post them as an FYI as I can't speak to any criteria that would have them show up or if it accurately represents how the panel mount unit behaves, but I found it interesting after all this discussion that here is an LSK with a passive option.

Bob
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:10am
Garmin has the ability to load two databases in the 650/750 series. That is, a new database can be loaded prior to its effective date. The old database is still used until the database rollover time, at which time the unit automatically switches to the new database.

This would be a valuable feature that would ensure a current database when in the air at the rollover time, as well as adding convenience when on a long trip. I know this has been discussed in the past, but I think it would be worth revisiting as a potential feature in the next major update.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:13am
I still have an email from an Avidyne executive that claimed the reason the IFD couldn't do that is a Jepp problem.  ????
Jim Patton
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 11:51am
I'd like the ability for the IFD to receive and display ADS-B weather (and possibly traffic) via WiFi from a portable device like the Stratus.  At Oshkosh last year I mentioned this to an Avidyne rep who said that it was a possibility but might be a paid software unlock.  Perhaps Avidyne would want to assess interest?  I'd be willing to pay a certain amount for this feature.
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by PA20Pacer PA20Pacer wrote:

Garmin has the ability to load two databases in the 650/750 series. That is, a new database can be loaded prior to its effective date. The old database is still used until the database rollover time, at which time the unit automatically switches to the new database.

This would be a valuable feature that would ensure a current database when in the air at the rollover time, as well as adding convenience when on a long trip. I know this has been discussed in the past, but I think it would be worth revisiting as a potential feature in the next major update.

Regards,

Bob

That’s an awesome idea!
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by bneub111 bneub111 wrote:

That’s an awesome idea!
I agree, and would love to see this.  However, I remember it being discussed before, and at that time I think it was AviJake who said it would be a significant amount of work to implement and was essentially a non-starter.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm

Garmin has the ability to load two databases in the 650/750 series....

Don't believe the GTNs do that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but although you can have more than one database on the SD card, you have to take the unit out of service briefly to select, load and swap over to the new database.

So that is not any different than taking an IFD out of service briefly, and sliding in the USB key and doing an update.

The old CNX80 would allow you to upload the new upcoming database, keep the old database still active, and then it would switch over automatically for you -- but what didn't the CNX80 do?!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 27 Mar 2018 at 2:07pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Royski Royski wrote:

I'd like the ability for the IFD to receive and display ADS-B weather (and possibly traffic) via WiFi from a portable device like the Stratus.  At Oshkosh last year I mentioned this to an Avidyne rep who said that it was a possibility but might be a paid software unlock.  Perhaps Avidyne would want to assess interest?  I'd be willing to pay a certain amount for this feature.

I don't think that's ever going to happen. You would be taking weather from an uncertified device and putting it on a certified device. I'm just happy that they let us take weather from the IFD and put it on an iPad.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by OliverBucher OliverBucher wrote:

RF leg’s for approach

+5

Since per Steve the capability is already there and this just needs the flight tests to get FAA signoff on the paperwork so it can be turned on, this could even be a candidate for a 10.2.2 rather than waiting a year for 10.3.

2 of 3 RNAV approaches where I fly home have RF legs that substantially shorten and lower the approach (4000') vs the 3rd RNAV or ILS being the current choices (6000'). They can do this by avoiding a mountain on the straight in that keep the IAF/IF on the currently flyable approaches up high.
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 3:26am
Here are a couple more suggestions, or perhaps there is a way of doing this but I just don't know how.

1) For ILS/LOC approaches, either default or have a user setup option that changes nav source guidance from GPS to VLOC as soon as VTF is activated for an approach, provided VLOC is armed (blue).
- I did 2 practice ILS approaches today, both using VTF. One switched from GPS to VLOC quite early, which changed the HSI source from GPS to VHF LOC so I had an ILS CDI quite some time before intercept. On the other VTF approach, VLOC was armed (blue) but the HSI CDI source remained on GPS until I was actually on the localizer. This was quite disconcerting. I know the criteria for the switch from GPS to VLOC guidance as described in the PG, but the GPS guidance doesn't have any glideslope so I have no indication the glideslope is alive until the GPS->VLOC swap takes place.

2) IF one wants to add a new approach after the missed holding fix, the new wpt block that appears at the cursor following ENTER / Waypoint is mostly concealed by the FMS/MAP/AUX soft buttons at the bottom. The wpt entry field is not visible. This wpt entry field can easily propose a wpt which is not the airport that one wants. While it is true that any tap on the screen will bring up the keyboard, I would suggest that in a case like this, the FPL be shifted up far enough to show the entire block and not just the very top edge. In this case, I pushed ENTER Waypoint and the block was created to allow wpt name entry. However only the top edge of the block is visible. This is a bit unnerving in flight. If one touches ENTER again or the soft key on the left, then the default/proposed wpt is created which may not be the one wanted as in this case where an airfield right under the hold was chosen.

P.S. I tried to upload a screenshot of an example, but it seems that the image upload isn't working.

Vince
Rangemaster_Tango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rangemaster_Tango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 9:45am
I posted this before, but I think the server issue deleted/lost it.

Never going to happen in 10.3, but since the IFD550 has an ARS, I want it to act as an autopilot.  :-)
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 9:32am
I would like that when you enter into a popup that is expecting text that the keyboard would auto-popup as well.  For example, currently when entering a waypoint I push Enter which pops up the list of choices, in which Waypoint is the first.  So I push enter again to select Waypoint entry.  That's all good.  Then, it pops up the waypoint entry text box with a best guess at a waypoint that I might want.  That best guess is most often not the waypoint I want, so then I have to tap on the text box to bring up the keyboard.  Which is the step I'd like to see eliminated.  Make it so that when the text box pops up, it could still have the best guess waypoint suggested, but also open the keyboard so it's immediately available to change the text.  Then I can start typing out the new text, or hit enter to select the best guess if in fact that's what I'm looking for.  I would suggest this for any and all text or number fields, that when the entry field is opened, that the appropriate keyboard opens as well.
Thanks,
David
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 8:31am
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

I would like that when you enter into a popup that is expecting text that the keyboard would auto-popup as well.  For example, currently when entering a waypoint I push Enter which pops up the list of choices, in which Waypoint is the first.  So I push enter again to select Waypoint entry.  That's all good.  Then, it pops up the waypoint entry text box with a best guess at a waypoint that I might want.  That best guess is most often not the waypoint I want, so then I have to tap on the text box to bring up the keyboard.  Which is the step I'd like to see eliminated.  Make it so that when the text box pops up, it could still have the best guess waypoint suggested, but also open the keyboard so it's immediately available to change the text.  Then I can start typing out the new text, or hit enter to select the best guess if in fact that's what I'm looking for.  I would suggest this for any and all text or number fields, that when the entry field is opened, that the appropriate keyboard opens as well.
Thanks,
David

Hi David-

I can see your suggestion as being very convenient for someone that typically uses the touch screen for text entry. However, that behavior would be somewhat annoying for those of us that typically use the knobs to enter text. Perhaps an automatic pop-up keyboard could be a user-selectable option. I guess flexibility breeds complexity.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 9:45am
Bob,

I guess I don't see where having the keyboard displayed on the screen would affect the use of the knobs, but like you say maybe it could be a user option.

David
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 10:47am
You can use the knobs exactly as before to change the waypoint name, but the waypoint block is obscured, so you can't just use the knobs or tap on one of the options (like an arrival or approach procedure) to enter it. 

I am in the camp where I prefer the knob interface first. I do use the keyboard, but only in calm air or on the ground. If there is even a little turbulence, I find using the knobs easier. If I have to use the knobs because of turbulence, dismissing the keyboard would be harder than opening the keyboard in smooth conditions. Thus defaulting to knobs first makes sense to me. I open the keyboard when I want it. Of course a user option lets everyone set up their preferred way, so that would work for me too.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 6:05pm
or...  one twist of the knob and the keyboard goes away -- just saying.
Jim Patton
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 10:40am
I find the keyboard auto-popup annoying (like when touching the freq indicator), would not want it as default behavior, it obstructs the screen.

I use the remote keyboard for 95% of my entries. I'm surprised more folks don't use it. I have it mounted on my yoke. 

* Orest 
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 8:31am
Hi Orest-

Interesting comment about the use of the keyboard. I also mounted mine on the yoke, but I am finding that I use it mainly for entering a flight plan on the ground. I think that if the 540 was over to my right in the radio stack I might use the keyboard more, but I have gotten used to using the knobs, as that seems easier in turbulence. I suspect that the more I used the keyboard, the more useful I would find it.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Downers Grove, IL
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 8:57am
I have my keyboard mounted, by using a piece of velcro, it allows me to put it in different places based on my flight parameters. On the ground it is mounted near my elevator trim by my knee, during cruise I keep it on the yoke. Just my technique, but it works well for me.
Sauce
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 11:04am
I even use the remote keyboard for freq flips.

COM 2 7 ^

127.00 is done! 

Granted you need a spot to put it, but I think it is one of the most underutilized advantages of the IFDs. 

* Orest 

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 May 2018 at 11:08am
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 12:13pm
For those using the bluetooth keyboard, are you also using the IFD100? 

I have Garmin pilot on my Ipad mini yoke mount, and the IFD100 on my Ipad pro, mounted on the seat rail mount. I almost always use the IFD100 for everything other than swapping frequencies. I can't seem to find a good use for my bluetooth keyboard. 
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 3:27pm
I still haven’t been able to get my IFD 100 to work with my cellular iPad Pro. The iPad connects to the IFD-540 network. I can even transfer flight plans to ForeFlight. However, the IFD-100 doesn’t seem to connect. I’ve tried putting the iPad in airplane mode and manually turning on WiFi and Bluetooth, then starting the IFD-100 with no other apps running. The app says it is not connected to the com radios and doesn’t get a GPS position. The GPS on the upper right is yellow. 

The NavData and Obstacles databases are the same in the IFD-540 and IFD-100. However, the IFD-540 has an older charts database that I can’t get rid of or get a copy for the IFD-100. 

The IFD-100 has NAmerica and Europe terrain databases that aren’t explicitly listed on the IFD-540. It also lists Worldwide MapData that is not listed on the 540. 

Any ideas what I can try to get this working?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

I still haven’t been able to get my IFD 100 to work with my cellular iPad Pro. The iPad connects to the IFD-540 network. I can even transfer flight plans to ForeFlight. However, the IFD-100 doesn’t seem to connect. I’ve tried putting the iPad in airplane mode and manually turning on WiFi and Bluetooth, then starting the IFD-100 with no other apps running. The app says it is not connected to the com radios and doesn’t get a GPS position. The GPS on the upper right is yellow. 

The NavData and Obstacles databases are the same in the IFD-540 and IFD-100. However, the IFD-540 has an older charts database that I can’t get rid of or get a copy for the IFD-100. 

The IFD-100 has NAmerica and Europe terrain databases that aren’t explicitly listed on the IFD-540. It also lists Worldwide MapData that is not listed on the 540. 

Any ideas what I can try to get this working?
Try turning off cellular data.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 10:26pm
I did. I put the iPad in airplane mode, so had no cellular connection at all. I then turned on Bluetooth and WiFi manually. That didn’t help. 

It just occurred to me writing this that there is also a cellular data switch. I will try that one next time. Wouldn’t being in airplane mode without a cellular connection do the same thing?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 7:21am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I even use the remote keyboard for freq flips.

COM 2 7 ^

* Orest 

Totally agree.  I love the remote keyboard and use it almost exclusively on my top 540.  I believe, however, that bluetooth is an option and not everyone has the use of the remote keyboard.  Is this right?   On my botton 540, I change frequencies on the IFD 100.  Really easy.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 8:02pm
Only the early adopters got the Bluetooth unlock with their unit.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 9:27pm
I got the keyboard for the IFD-540 last October. I had to register the IFD, which the previous owner had not done. I was not an early adopter.  I think the IFD-440might have required a separate Bluetooth unlock. 
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 8:09am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I use the remote keyboard for 95% of my entries. I'm surprised more folks don't use it. I have it mounted on my yoke.
Too many gizmos, not enough room.  I don't need the keyboard frequently enough to mount it somewhere where it's always handy--there just isn't a spot for it that wouldn't displace something else I use more frequently.  The yoke is reserved for a tablet that gets far more frequent use.  

I do use the keyboard, but generally only at the start of a flight when I'm building the flight plan.  After that, it gets tucked in a pocket and mostly isn't used again until the next flight starts.  (But I do really like having it for that usage.)
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by 94S 94S wrote:

Thanks,
David

There is a neat way to sort of solve this today, using the KB. I've discovered (I can't find this anywhere in the manual), that if you start typing a waypoint on the KB, the first key struck opens the new waypoint entry mode along with the entry text box (and the on-screen keyboard). So 1 single keystroke on the KB gets you to where you want to be as you describe above, with the first letter of the waypoint you want already entered ..... really neat!!

Like Orest, I also have my KB mounted on the yoke, so this is super simple with one hand without even removing it from the yoke or having to reach over to the IFD. If the proposed waypoint happens to be the desired one, then the 2nd keystroke on the KB is the enter key. Two strokes and done. Multiple waypoints can be entered very quickly this way.

Edited by chflyer - 16 May 2018 at 6:21pm
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 6:33pm
I discovered this quick KB waypoint entry as well, quite by accident, and love it. Use it all the time.

* Orest

94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 9:16am
I don't use the BTKB.  For me using the IFD is easy enough (except for the fact that I have to tap inside the already active text field to bring up the onscreen keyboard), and my yoke is occupied by my iPad.  From the first time I saw the IFD, way back before it was certified, I've thought the onscreen keyboard is one of the many things that set it apart from the knob twisting on G's products.  I use the knob twisting when necessary in turbulence, but the onscreen keyboard is my first preference.  I just wish it would automatically come up when I'm in a text entry field so I don't have to tap the screen to get it. 
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 5:07am
Traffic and obstacles look too similar on the map with the same blue colour and the same font for altitude. Close to airports they often overlap and I can’t see which is which.  Can the fonts be made thinner/smaller? Can the colours be made even slightly different?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

Traffic and obstacles look too similar on the map with the same blue colour and the same font for altitude. Close to airports they often overlap and I can’t see which is which.  Can the fonts be made thinner/smaller? Can the colours be made even slightly different?
We have a limited allowable color pallette in that arena.  We can take a look, but it would likely be in the lower half of the priority list.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
msflygood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msflygood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 12:30am
Please add a User Selectable FIRST Chart View to 10.3.  Right now, the ALL view comes up last requiring me to push the VIEW button 4 times, which is annoying.  Given the great slewing features of the 540, I'd prefer to see the whole chart (ALL) as the FIRST view that comes up so I can quickly  look at what I want to see, be it the minimums sections, or the profile, etc.  After the ALL view, then, you can rotate through the other options.  If this is user selectable, then everyone is happy.  
CubedRoot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubedRoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 1:06am
I would REALLY like to see some compatibility from my IFD540 / Skytrax to my Aspen so I can see ADS-B weather/traffic on it.   
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 10:43am
"I would REALLY like to see some compatibility from my IFD540 / Skytrax to my Aspen so I can see ADS-B weather/traffic on it."

I agree with the "cubed root" above, I would like my Aspen system to be able to take advantage of the great stuff my 540 has....JMO   
Sauce
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:29pm
+1 - I know of at least several of us with Aspens, IFDs, and Skytrax units who would like to see interoperability - but suspect that topic is dead given that Navworx is.

Only hope would be that Avi makes reasonable allowance for that and recognizes its Skytrax adopters with its follow on product - and that they make that product interoperable with our Aspens.
David Gates
tommy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:58am
I only had IFD440 for a short while so these suggestions might already be in 10.2 if so please excuse my ignorance.

1) When tune for radio by turning the left large knob, can you add an additional tab called "Saved" that lists out the frequency saved in AUX page?
2) options to select and deselect warnings. I have found myself constantly needing to press clear for messages. 

Thanks

Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 2:08am
+1 on RF legs

DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:27am
Suggestion:
Early in the development of the IFD's, it was recognised that the Map Compass Rose significantly contributed to map clutter and was of mixed benefit.
This resulted in the option to turn off the Compass Rose. However this option also results in the loss of the "Projected Track Line", a valuable instantaneous track vector, which has many useful functions independent of the Compass Rose eg intercepting the DTK etc. Therefore I (and others I've talked to) believe that it would be advantageous to separate these two items, ie the option to turn off the Compass Rose, thus significantly decluttering the map, but keeping the "Projected Track Line".

Thomas

Edited by DH82FLYER - 10 Jul 2018 at 10:01am
Cameron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:37pm
Garmin has had the G5’s on version 5.2 of software for a while, but in some circumstances depending on how an install is done they get a "communication error" annunciation in v5.2. They are aware of these errors, and the only way to solve them short of an entire avionics re-wire for CAN BUS start and end points is to upgrade the G5's to v5.3 software. At the time of this writing, that software is already available for experimental. I have spoken with Garmin reps about 5.3, and that same software should be available for certified aircraft by the end of this month.

There is a problem that occurs when 5.3 is installed that was not there in 5.2 on the Avidyne IFD itself, and that is that once I upgrade to 5.3 on the G5’s (and I suppose the update that it then installs into the GAD 29), the Avidyne then seems to popup an AUX warning that states the "GAD 42 needs servicing". The kicker here is I do not have a GAD 42, and despite the error things work as they should…except now I have a very annoying bright blue light shining in my eyes that I cannot dismiss.

My theory on what’s happening here is that Garmin has basically recycled some of their software and hardware components/principals from the GAD 42 and made the GAD 29B with the same concepts, so the IFD thinks it’s there when it’s not.

It would be great if we could have a config option where we select if a GAD 42 is present, and if we select no then this warning will simply be ignored and my AUX will stay nice and white.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic