Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
2thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 8:59am
1. would like to see kind of custom sort ability of the flight plans and/or also favorites beside the stored ones.
2. when activating VTF, i should have an extended magenta center line to the runway. often, the vector leads you between the FAF and runway and mostly you do it on VFR App also. default looks like the leg to FAF turns magenta.

thanks

thomas
“Respect others and their views. And demand they respect yours”
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:15am
A suggestion:
A single aural callout of “Altitude” as you approach an ‘altitude constraint’ in the FMS. It could occur as the ‘Boeing Banana’ disappears, ie approx 150 ft from the target altitude. 

Thomas

Edited by DH82FLYER - 05 Jul 2019 at 9:35am
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 9:12am
I would like the IFD540 to pass TAS traffic, not just ADS-B traffic, to Foreflight over wifi.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 9:57am
I’d like to see the aircraft stay centered on airport taxiway charts as it proceeds along. This was a nice feature on the EX500  airport charts but on the IFDs, it’s necessary to keep moving the chart on the touch screen to follow the aircrafts progress and keep it in view. 
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 9:33am
+1
Klaus
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 8:30am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Regarding audible call-outs while on instrument approaches 
It's in our list of enhancements, but hasn't been scheduled yet.

I agree with Jim that it would be a nice feature.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by SB Jim SB Jim wrote:

Regarding audible call-outs while on instrument approaches 
It's in our list of enhancements, but hasn't been scheduled yet.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2019 at 4:45pm
Regarding audible call-outs while on instrument approaches - I think these would be EXTREMELY VALUABLE. Especially on approaches with multiple step down fixes.

If it’s easier to program, a simple tone (a ding, a bell, whatever) would be fine as well to let me know I’m crossing the fix. 

Having said that I just got my IFD 540 upgraded (it has been unchanged since it was installed in 2015). I’m going to try using the IFD 100 on my ipad during an instrument approach to see if that makes fix identification easier. It may.

My preference on instrument approaches is the have the approach plate on my iPad in front of me although I don’t trust the iPad fix locations (it’s not a certified WAAS navigator for instrument flight).

I’d rather watch the plate on the iPad but have the box “ding” or tell me when I’m crossing each step down fix.

Any chance we can get something like this?

Or do I have it already and just don’t realize that yet?

Jim
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:38am
+1

May not be possible with Avi architecture but presumably there will be more cycles of updates, and the current pathway leaves much to be desired.

Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

Have a suggested improvement or bug fix for release 10.3?  Use this thread to put it out there. No promises on which suggestions will make it, but we're glad to have the feedback.  Have at it!

If feasible, design the units so they won't brick themselves during updates and upgrades because of power interruptions:

Buffer the upload of databases so that the box does not enter "update mode" status (and potentially brick itself if power is interrupted), and remains status quo until the entire file is uploaded to the unit.  

Make navdata updates robust by having the unit abort and return to its known prior good state after a power interruption, so as not to brick the unit.  Do not allow the unit to "forget" its prior valid state until a new update has been installed and verified.

Do the same for software upgrades, if possible.
David Gates
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 3:49am

Have a suggested improvement or bug fix for release 10.3?  Use this thread to put it out there. No promises on which suggestions will make it, but we're glad to have the feedback.  Have at it!

If feasible, design the units so they won't brick themselves during updates and upgrades because of power interruptions:

Buffer the upload of databases so that the box does not enter "update mode" status (and potentially brick itself if power is interrupted), and remains status quo until the entire file is uploaded to the unit.  

Make navdata updates robust by having the unit abort and return to its known prior good state after a power interruption, so as not to brick the unit.  Do not allow the unit to "forget" its prior valid state until a new update has been installed and verified.

Do the same for software upgrades, if possible.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I could be wrong but I thought if you power down the 440 by pushing the button it will not power up with the avionics master but by pushing the button on the IFD again when ready.

Not true.  It wakes up every time power is applied, regardless of the shut down method.

As discussed here, I was motivated to install an avionics master switch after the IFD installation for this very reason.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:06pm
+1 on the avionics switch, saves wear & tear & time. Some of my electronics do not have an ON/OFF switch, and would come on for engine start, not a good idea.

My avionics switch (when OFF) energizes a relay, which opens a circuit, and will cut the power feed to the avionics bus. If the switch fails, then in fail-safe fashion the avionics bus goes live.

I also have a guarded, backup avionics breaker/switch under the panel that will supply power to the avionics bus from a separate circuit, just in case.

Both were factory, and that is a fairly standard setup.

That all would be a pain to install. If you don't have an avionics switch, then just installing two switch/breakers in parallel to feed the avionics bus should work well, and be relatively fail-safe.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 May 2019 at 12:14pm
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:00pm
My Mooney had a "fail on" avionics solinoid master which pretty much solved that problem.
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:54am
Not really. Not good for the indivual radio, and sets up a very nasty single point of failure. if The master switch fails (and switch's do often fail) You could be truly in a world of hurt as you just lost all your avionics in one swoop. This is why you dont see avionics masters in combat aircraft.
Claude
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 12:41am
Not exactly true. Using an Avionics master continually will make the individual switch's and knobs on your various avionics become sticky unless exercised now and then.
Claude
RGLADY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGLADY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:43pm
AviSteve,I see that the IFD will network with a portable stratus. Will it also network with a Garmin GDL50? It would be great if the ADSB data from the portables would be able to display weather and traffic on the IDF100 app. Is this possible?
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:57pm
An avionics master switch is a good thing for all your electronics.

Jim Patton
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:12pm
I could be wrong but I thought if you power down the 440 by pushing the button it will not power up with the avionics master but by pushing the button on the IFD again when ready.

Edited by teeth6 - 16 May 2019 at 1:12pm
allenc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allenc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Is it possible to make it optional for the IDF440 to NOT power up when the master is turned on. Make it optional. I would like to beable to power up my avionicas after engine start.

Claude
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Stevei Stevei wrote:

Don't know if this has been suggested already. Apologies if done so.

On flying a procedure, it's terrific to have the altitude necessary to cross the fix.  Add a field that would show the distance to the next fix.
I think that would be very helpful for situational awareness and enable us to stay on the same screen.
Those two data quantities are shown simultaneously on the FPL page already, per leg.  If you're trying to stay on the Map page, then I would suggest configuring one of the datablocks to show distance to the active waypoint.  Then you could see distance to the waypoint in the datablock and the crossing altitude would be displayed on the map (but both visible at the same time; subject to map decluttering).

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Stevei View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2019 at 6:42pm
Don't know if this has been suggested already. Apologies if done so.

On flying a procedure, it's terrific to have the altitude necessary to cross the fix.  Add a field that would show the distance to the next fix.
I think that would be very helpful for situational awareness and enable us to stay on the same screen.
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 4:22pm
Progress in Europe on implementing RF legs

... well, for certain G* installations so far.   Work is ongoing to expand the field

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:29am
Lots of misuse of the word "heading" here.  To be clear, it is the CDI "course" that is being set.  The 'other' thing with the knob.
mklepper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mklepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:19am
OK thanks,   Yes, once I set the heading on the CDI, the message went away.   I rarely bother adjusting the CDI heading on my experimental, as I set the heading on my EFIS.  The heading on the Pilatus EFIS apparently is connected back to the 440. 

Learn something new everyday.

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:27am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

It may be telling you to set the OBS course to that value.  Mine does that for my CDI if I don't twist it.
That is what was happening in my Aspen/IFD540 panel.  I didn't realize that the IFD was prompting me to set the heading on the Aspen until now.  Thanks for that insight!  I flew yesterday and that is exactly what it was prompting me to do. Another IFD mystery solved.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 24 Mar 2019 at 6:30am
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by mklepper mklepper wrote:

While on autopilot, tracking the GPS, I often get a popup message saying to adjust heading to xxx.   (Turn to xxx)   My autopilot is flying that xxx heading + or - a degree.  (I know the bigger stuff like the Pilatus I fly, is dead on and this isn't an issue.)   What would be nice would be a setting to loosen up the trigger for that popup alert by an extra degree or two.
As David mentioned, I don't think this has anything to do with how well the autopilot is tracking; the IFD is simply detecting where your CDI is dialed in and reminding you to update it if it's not dialed in to your desired course.  

In my plane, as long as I'm "close" (maybe +/- 3deg) on the CDI, the IFD is satisfied and will clear the alert.

Regardless of where the CDI is set, my GPSS-driven autopilot is dead on the magenta line when the IFD is in GPS mode.

Edited by MysticCobra - 23 Mar 2019 at 9:02pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2019 at 9:42am
It may be telling you to set the OBS course to that value.  Mine does that for my CDI if I don't twist it.
mklepper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mklepper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 10:13pm
Suggestion for 10.3

I fly a small experimental.  While on autopilot, tracking the GPS, I often get a popup message saying to adjust heading to xxx.   (Turn to xxx)   My autopilot is flying that xxx heading + or - a degree.  (I know the bigger stuff like the Pilatus I fly, is dead on and this isn't an issue.)   What would be nice would be a setting to loosen up the trigger for that popup alert by an extra degree or two.

Thanks

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2019 at 8:50am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I know it's well over a year away, but it would be nice to have confirmation from Avidyne that support for RF legs won't have any more implementation restrictions than those for the Garmin GTN. Specifically, per the AFMS the GTN is approved to fly uncoupled RF legs ... i.e. does not require an A/P or FD.
That's correct.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 5:09pm
I know it's well over a year away, but it would be nice to have confirmation from Avidyne that support for RF legs won't have any more implementation restrictions than those for the Garmin GTN. Specifically, per the AFMS the GTN is approved to fly uncoupled RF legs ... i.e. does not require an A/P or FD.
Vince
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 4:01pm

Originally posted by Flybuddy Flybuddy wrote:

Got an IFD being installed this week but got to fly a neighbors plane equipped with a 440 this morning and work an IFD for the first time. I was very impressed with it as I was able to do all functions by myself with no help and no manual. Really user friendly and intuitive. One suggestion, on simple direct to flights it would be nice if the IFD remembered last leg entered upon startup this way you could put your next destination prior to shutdown. May not seem like a big deal but helpful when you have multiple devices to set up making for an extended run up. Yes, I do know you can save as a prior flight plan but it's still easier if you don't have to touch it at all (except for allow/ignore).
Congrats on the new install!  It certainly is a great box!

In regard to remembering the last leg upon startup, I prefer to start with a clean slate.  Things can change between shutdown and startup on how I’m going to fly.  A clean slate has me be very deliberate about my route right before takeoff.  The primary function of the IFD is to support IFR flight plans, this is a VFR point to point request, which I think will actually hinder IFR operations.  Some things to consider:

·         Most of the time, I’m not sure what my next route or waypoint will be upon shutdown, so this feature will rarely come into play.  Also, after shutdown or before the next flight, I can always put waypoints into the IFD100 for auto loading when connected to the panel IFD.

·         When flying IFR, upon shutdown, the IFD will retain the last route flown.  Then on startup, I no longer have the option of just entering a route on the FPL page.  I will either need to delete the old waypoints while entering the new, or I will be relegated to entering everything new in the ROUTE page.  It limits my options and will cause extra work.

·         Upon startup now, I can do a database update in less time than it takes to warm up, taxi, and run-up.  Loading a single VFR waypoint would be simpler and faster than that.  I think you will find no extended run-up is necessary.

I am left to conclude that for most IFR operations, this feature request would be a hindrance.  Also, it will only come into play when the next VFR flight and waypoint are known, which is probably not very often (at least for me).  Even then, the IFD 100 will certainly suffice.

Bob
Flybuddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flybuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2019 at 11:37am
Got an IFD being installed this week but got to fly a neighbors plane equipped with a 440 this morning and work an IFD for the first time. I was very impressed with it as I was able to do all functions by myself with no help and no manual. Really user friendly and intuitive. One suggestion, on simple direct to flights it would be nice if the IFD remembered last leg entered upon startup this way you could put your next destination prior to shutdown. May not seem like a big deal but helpful when you have multiple devices to set up making for an extended run up. Yes, I do know you can save as a prior flight plan but it's still easier if you don't have to touch it at all (except for allow/ignore).
ColinW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2019 at 6:33pm
To underline the disappointment about no RF leg capability, in
Europe SESAR is funding a project to demonstrate that GA aircraft can successfully fly non-standard approach profiles including RF legs.  The selection of participants was limited to those with GTN boxes at software v6.21 or above. The flying is due to start in April or May. 

What a shame Avidyne is not at the party

Edited by ColinW - 12 Mar 2019 at 6:34pm
Alouicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alouicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 9:55am
Excellent thread started by Steve!  Lots of great suggestions.

Bummer about Avidyne's interpretation of the regs on installation of firmware updates vs data updates.  Seems the wording from FAR 43 (as quoted by AzFlyer and HenryM in the "Update-on-10-2-3-1-software" thread) would allow, though maybe the local FAA rep implied otherwise.  

Maybe, to get this one to us, he (we?) needs to start another thread for the NEXT update...  

As one who chose Wing X over Foreflight a long time ago (and relieved that Boeing spared Wing X), sure glad for Garmin's foray into data:  Competition reduced the Jepp subscription price for us.  Still would prefer an alternative to Jepp.

AVIdly anticipating this release!
Thanks, Steve, et al!
Be happy! Your choice.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

Just a thought especially today....how about an automatic local time offset option? Additionally, local time ETAs would show correct local time ETAs even if ETA fix time offset is different than current position time offset.

That's why we have UTC (Universal Coordinated Time)

Our IFDs (and maybe the IFD100 soon) have the ability to offset UTC by a fixed amount on a per user basis. I was trying to gauge interest in an automatic option for this offset. Currently, if one would like that offset to reflect local time, they would have to manually change that offset value every time they cross a time zone or when going in or out of DST (for each affected user). 

Thanks for pointing out that UTC would be required data for this calculation.
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Exactly.  Time zones have no logic and some places don't recognize daylight savings time.  Too cumbersome to program and could easily lead to pilot confusion especially on a long trip when a waypoint is just barely, and unknowingly, in the next timezone. 
Bob
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by dmtidler dmtidler wrote:

Just a thought especially today....how about an automatic local time offset option? Additionally, local time ETAs would show correct local time ETAs even if ETA fix time offset is different than current position time offset.

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 2:09pm
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:57pm
Yes, I meant Boeing purchasing ForeFlight...sorry.
Don
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 11:51am
I'd like to add my vote for supporting RF legs in both the FAA STC and the EASA validation of that STC
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 9:15am
Adding US govt charts has been on the feature request list since the IFDs were still in gestation.

While I understand the cost element, I would vote against Avidyne making this a high priority for the following reasons:
1 - It only benefits US users. There are other items that would benefit all users.
2 - Having charts (Jepp or govt) on ForeFlight or any other tablet app reduces the need for charts on the in-panel unit. I have Jepp charts, and am still not ready to pay the extra to get them on the IFD. Besides, they are closer and easier to view on a tablet.
3 -  The expensive Avidyne in-panel screen space can be better used than to display charts.

Vince
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 9:07am
The easy pickins' would be for the new "Boflight" to tack on another $50 to all their IFR products and bundle Jepp charts, like it or not. Easy incremental revenue with no downside to them.

There are lots of other ways they could creatively jack up prices; I am honestly more concerned that their trend of stuffing turbine/121/military-oriented features into the product will continue and the piston/small turboprop GA side will languish.  
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 8:24am
Originally posted by donemory donemory wrote:

Now after the Boeing acquisition of Jeppensen recently announced, I am sure prices will only go up.
Do you mean Foreflight?  Boeing acquired Jeppesen in 2000.  Not sure why the acquisition would change pricing.
Bob
donemory View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donemory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 7:42am
I am new to the IDF family as I’ll be installing a new IDF540 hopefully later this month to replace my GNS 530W.  As I try to get updated on this fantastic box, I see their is a void in approach charts available on the IFD. I currently use government charts on my Aspen 3 display & Foreflight software and they are considerably less expensive than the Jeppensen charts.  Now after the Boeing acquisition of Jeppensen recently announced, I am sure prices will only go up.  It sure would be nice if Avidyne would offer both government charts & Jeppensen to give us a choice.  I find my government charts work just fine for me.
Don
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2019 at 5:47am
Avidyne IFDs are great boxes (I have a 540/440 pair) and I just love flying with them.

But one sure notices that the company doesn't have the resources or market penetration of G*. For keeping currency, x-plane not only has integrated support for the GNS530/430 but also the GTN 750/650 via RealityXP. This now includes support for RF legs too! So European Garmin customers can practice the RF legs on x-plane and then go fly them using their G* units!!!

This is of course just a dream for us IFD users, as RF leg support in the in-panel boxes likely won't come before 2020 at the earliest and there is no sign that Laminar Research or RealityXP has any interest to support the Avidyne units...... a shame.

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2019 at 1:34pm
GTN navigators now have EASA approval for flying RF legs in Europe, with same prerequisites as specified by the FAA. This will be a big detractor for the IFDs as the number of IAPs with RF legs is increasing. A shame that we won't see it in the IFD until 10.4 or later which likely means well into 2020.

Vince
Giuan123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giuan123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 3:16am
Is it possible to have the functionality of the GTN 650? Selectable VNAV on waypoints processable by the DFC90? This will be helpful for those airfield in Europe without GPS approach subscribed but that are in conditions to be used as described.
Also they have a nice feature: once you plan to land in an airfield contained in the database the GTN650 will calculate the approach circuit to the airfield (based on the pubblished altitude datas inside the database) and it calculates an approach procedure and a circuit at a proper altitude.

What do you think? Avidyne is always a step formward, (always), but this feature is clever and helpful and seems to be an Avidyne solution, NOT a Garmin solution.

Best regards

Giovanni

Edited by Giuan123 - 03 Mar 2019 at 3:20am
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 3:26am
A big +1 for simplifying the present position hold / orbit functionality.  It takes way too many steps / button presses currently.
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2019 at 10:22pm
Got another 10.3 thought... perhaps there is already a quick way to do this... but how about an "orbit here" option that would setup a temporary waypoint automatically, then allow you to orbit LH or RH with a specific radius... 

I can do this now with my IFD... but it takes a few steps to create the waypoint, then add the orbit, then edit the orbit to suit.  Wondering if a shortcut  to do that would be possible?...

You could also have a shortcut for "hold here" in pretty much the same light. 

Just a thought! 

Thanks again Avidyne!

Doug
N208LG

Edited by ansond - 02 Mar 2019 at 3:23pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 10:01pm
I’d like to see the newer weather products from ADS-B ( especially cloud tops) in 10.3.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic