Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for 10.3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:34am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Would there not be an advantage to using WiFi output from both IFDs?  The SSID and password are configurable, and I believe even the WiFi channel can somehow be specified...

Would this not increase the number of connected devices to four?  And would it not allow an IFD100 to each IFD for frequency setting etc?

Is there a gotcha or downside that I am missing?

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Great question, David.
Agree, each 540-WiFi can have a separate Password & SSID and associated iPad, but I'm not sure I have room for another iPad in my Visual Scan - LOL.

Tom
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:09am
OK here's another thought, applicable to those who have dual IFDs, as Tom and I both do.

Would there not be an advantage to using WiFi output from both IFDs?  The SSID and password are configurable, and I believe even the WiFi channel can somehow be specified...

Would this not increase the number of connected devices to four?  And would it not allow an IFD100 to each IFD for frequency setting etc?

Is there a gotcha or downside that I am missing?

Thanks for the info, Steve.
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 8:41pm
Steve -
"you will get the traffic on IFD100 for the IFD to which it is connected."

Thanks you.  That is exactly what I was wanting to know. 

. So if I configure my #1-540 & Aspens to display TAS-A 1090 traffic, I will use my WiFi #1 and IFD100 will display this as well, and for UAT 980 ADSB traffic on the IFD100, I will use WiFi#2.
. Wx should cross synch from either 540-WiFi.

Very helpful info Steve - Thank you for answering.

Tom W.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2020 at 5:43pm
I don't quite get the scenario you're trying to set up, but as I stated before, you will get the traffic on IFD100 for the IFD to which it is connected.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

IFD#1 displays Skytrax Trfc + Wx.
IFD#2 displays TAS-605A.

So if I use IFD#2 as the WiFi box, and it ports out TAS traffic - will the IFD 100 get weather?
Yes, weather will still be received on the IFD100 even if you are connected to the IFD that is not directly wired to the Skytrax100 (as long as the two IFDs use crosssync)

Steve -
With my dual 540's, the IFD100 displays SOME cross-synched data, but also displays certain data from only the 540 whose WiFi is Active :
   . For example, with my WiFi #1 On: IFD100 displays Fuel & Frequency Data from #1 (since the Fuel Data is hard wired to #1-540), but if I use WiFi from #2 IFD instead, the IFD100 no longer displays Fuel, and shows #2 Frequencies. 

So Question:  If my #1-540 was hard wired to receive my TAS-A, and my #2-540 hard wired to Skytrax100 and If I display TAS-A on #1-540 and Skytrax100 on #2-540, Which traffic will my IFD100 display? Dependent on which WiFi is Active? 

Tom W.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:38am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Could you make one IFD the local WiFi hotspot, and the second remote, and have all traffic (TCAD and TIS-B) and weather sent out to Foreflight?
No, the TAS6XXA uses the Ryan TCAD protocol, which Foreflight doesn't understand.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2020 at 9:36am

IFD#2 displays TAS-605A.

So if I use IFD#2 as the WiFi box, and it ports out TAS traffic - will the IFD 100 get weather?
Yes, weather will still be received on the IFD100 even if you are connected to the IFD that is not directly wired to the Skytrax100 (as long as the two IFDs use crosssync)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 11:17am
New Request:
Add support for the (GTN-only, not GNS) VNAV data stream so the IFD can provide this function to a/p that support it (e.g. G5/GFC500).

There are a couple of threads discussing this, but I don't see that it has ever been specifically requested to Avidyne hence the new request entry here.

Edited by chflyer - 28 May 2020 at 11:18am
Vince
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:43pm
Henry -
My solution is my Dual Aspens receive ARNC from Ryan TCAD and display TAS-A from both IFD540's display 978 ADSB from Skytrax100 (aka MLB) with UAT format + Wx.

I set my Transponder as 1090=NO and 978=YES so all ADS-R from ground stations is all in 978 UAT format.

iPad displays WiFi out from either 540 WiFi (they are cross-synched) source with UAT icon targets and Wx. 

End result is:
.  Aspens display only 1090 TAS and ADSB
.  IFD540's and iPad displays 978 UAT format ADSB and Wx.

Works great.

Tom W.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 8:19pm
I have a Lynx 9000+, which internally combines TAS and ADS-B targets and outputs to its display and any other connected display representations of both types of targets.  The resulting combo of TAS and ADS-B targets appear on my IFD and ForeFlight.

I think the key is that the box generating the targets for display must internally combine the TAS and ADS-B targets in a way that is fool-proof enough to convince the FAA that the display will not misrepresent target locations and characteristics to the pilot looking at a display.  Most boxes do not have this capability.   And the FAA will not allow a display to show traffic inputs from two different boxes at the same time, since the two would not be able to synchronize or calibrate the data with sufficient accuracy.  A box that internalizes both traffic functions can do that.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:13pm
Could you make one IFD the local WiFi hotspot, and the second remote, and have all traffic (TCAD and TIS-B) and weather sent out to Foreflight?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:15pm
Assumption correct.

IFD#2 displays TAS-605A.

Thanks.

David Gates
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 2:13pm

The IFD sends Capstone traffic to the IFD100  It does not send active traffic (or hybrid TAS/ADS-B as provided by the TAS-6XXA). 
One of my colleagues reports that active traffic (Ryan TCAD) is already being sent to the IFD100.  It is not forwarded to third party apps, though.

Can you develop this a little further, perhaps with your colleague?  I have a TAS605A and a Skytrax 100.  I haven't seen the TAS traffic on the IFD100.   It stands to reason it should be there.  Does it require turning off the Skytrax 100 feed?  And in the case of dual IFDs, I suppose the TAS traffic then has to be displaying on the box which is also the WiFi output unit?
I'm assuming you have two IFDs, one configured for Ryan TCAD and one configured for Skytrax100.  You will get the traffic on IFD100 for the IFD to which it is connected.  Say IFD #1 is configured for TCAD and IFD #2 is configured for Skytrax100.  If the IFD100 is connected to IFD #1, it will display TCAD traffic.  If the IFD100 is connected to IFD #2, it will display Skytrax100 traffic.

If the assumption above is incorrect and you have a single IFD, then the Skytrax 100 traffic will take priority on the IFD and IFD100.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:26am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Steve,
That’s a good analogy.  I hear Samsung is going to reverse that in 16.7.9. 😂😂
I'm sure that's because I posted the suggestion on their forum :)
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:46pm
Steve,
That’s a good analogy.  I hear Samsung is going to reverse that in 16.7.9. 😂😂
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

AviSteve, looking for a comment on Jmack's request and Teeth5's comment.  I 3rd the observation that you don't need a hotkey to tell you what you already have done.
Orest pretty much covered it - state buttons vs command buttons.  We don't plan on changing that.

This is not a new debate and it's usually about 50/50 on which way people see it.  The history of this goes back to R9, though.  On that system, each of the LSKs were rockers similar to the ones on the bottom of the IFD.  So, you could go backward through the cycle or forward through the cycle.  Clearly, the button cannot say what's next because you don't know which side of the button the user is going to press.

Anecdotally, I have a Samsung TV.  The little red light is on when the TV is off.  The light goes off when the TV is on.  Drives me bananas.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by Jmack Jmack wrote:

But I still would rather the button told me where I am going rather than where I already know I am!

+1 !!!!
Jim Patton
Jmack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:29pm
Thank you teeth 6 for the follow-up.  Orest's explanation totally blew over my head until you asked for clarification.  I suppose the root of the problem is the IFD 540 is so intuitive that I never read the PG cover to cover but only referred to it when I had questions.  But I still would rather the button told me where I am going rather than where I already know I am!
John
A36
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:56pm
Good discussion.  I see your point and I'm very used to it like this also but I never understood why the button which says Expanded tells me where I already knew that I was (Expanded).  I might prefer to know in advance where I will be if I push the button if I am looking for a compact view, for instance.   Certainly not a big deal.  I just push the button until I get to where I want to be. :)

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:15pm
Ok, poor choice of words. Read "straight swapper" as a command button.

The brighter cyan shows where you are, the state; the darker cyan tells you what the button does, the command. That is consistent throughout the UI. It is discussed in the PG.

So, above, the VIEW tells you it will change the view, the INSERT tells you you will insert a waypoint, but the Expanded tells you where you are.

Same with the Land & Nav buttons. There is a command in darker cyan, and the state in lighter cyan.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 May 2020 at 6:36pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:22pm
Orest,
I am normally on the same page as you so would you explain what you mean, please.  When I am on the chart tab, for instance and I have an approach showing, the "view" button tells me the page I am already on (which I knew) but not what page will come up next. When I am on the plan view, it says "plan."  When I do hit the button the page changes to header view and it says "header" below the cyan view button.  Likewise, on the FMS page,  when I am on the expanded view in FMS, the button tells me where I already am..."view expanded." 
What do you mean by the darker cyan in straight swappers?
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:37pm
Feature request for the IFD100 app:  Make it work in Split Screen on iPad.  
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:13pm
Two different colors are used on the cycle keys, the light cyan shows that you are looking at current page/function.

The straight swappers are all one color, darker cyan.

Works for me, and changing that now would make it very confusing. I would vote to leave it as is.

* Orest
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:11pm

The IFD sends Capstone traffic to the IFD100  It does not send active traffic (or hybrid TAS/ADS-B as provided by the TAS-6XXA). 
One of my colleagues reports that active traffic (Ryan TCAD) is already being sent to the IFD100.  It is not forwarded to third party apps, though.

Can you develop this a little further, perhaps with your colleague?  I have a TAS605A and a Skytrax 100.  I haven't seen the TAS traffic on the IFD100.   It stands to reason it should be there.  Does it require turning off the Skytrax 100 feed?  And in the case of dual IFDs, I suppose the TAS traffic then has to be displaying on the box which is also the WiFi output unit?

Edited by ddgates - 22 May 2020 at 9:12pm
David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:13pm
AviSteve, looking for a comment on Jmack's request and Teeth5's comment.  I 3rd the observation that you don't need a hotkey to tell you what you already have done.

Edited by FlyingCOham - 22 May 2020 at 7:14pm
Jim Patton
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:39am

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:25pm
+1.  I’ve always felt that but never said it.  Don’t need a soft key to tell you where you already know you are. 
Jmack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 8:57pm
Please make the soft key on the left side show what the key will select, not what the screen is showing.

For example: 
1) On the FPL screen the View soft key shows Expanded when the display is expanded.  If it said Compact, I would know that selecting it would give me a compacted display.
2)  On the SYS screen the Status soft key shows Software and the page displays the S/W Ver.  I have no indication that the next time I press it will show me the database currency.  If it said Databases, I would know that pressing it will show me the database currency.

After years of flying with an IFD 540 it finally came to me watching tonight's webinar that this is the reason I have had trouble finding things on the SYS page in particular!

Thanks.
John
John
A36
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:53am
Here's a big one - request, that is.

I believe the best traffic solution is just that, the TAS output <which does display on the panel mount IFD).

The ability to port that to the IFD100 by WiFi would be providing the best traffic solution on the IFD100 display.

So that is my ask.
David Gates
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 1:02am
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

* Audible callouts for "approaching FAF" and "approaching MAP" when flying an active approach. (I'm not asking for vertical callouts for altitudes, as I understand that's a complex and liability-prone issue)
* Audible callouts for "approaching waypoint"-- any time the airplane is about to change course or a new altitude restriction is in the FMS, give me a noise, much like TOD works now
* audible tone any time a CAS caution/warning message appears (thanks to dmtidler for the suggestion)
* hit Foreflight with a stick until they support streaming from the IFD

If this is possible, that would be awesome.  With my Aspen 2000 MAX you get approaching minimums and a minimums call-out.  Having an approaching FAF, and/or other fixes call-outs would be another step forward.
Woo Hoo!!!
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 12:43am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Hi Steve,

2) On approaches where a procedure turn (hold) is included, I'd like a prompt for yes / no to fly the procedure turn rather than having to delete it from the flight plan.

I was a controller is a busy radar facility for 27 years and if I was vectoring an aircraft for an approach, I based my separation on the fact that the aircraft was not going to do a procedure turn and vectored them to a point where they were within the no PT area.

I would really like to see this feature also, thanks.
Woo Hoo!!!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:45am
+1
Vince
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 5:33pm
would be great to get support for Aviation HS as an RS232 protocol so European customers can hook up an ADL device and send both the flightplan and bring weather into the IFD with the same baud rate. 
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 3:30pm
Here is a PDF Linked on my DropBox with some UI improvement requests. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqxadgo7bb3bina/IFD440%20UI%20Improvements%20.pdf?dl=0

Edited by skybum02 - 30 Apr 2020 at 3:34pm
paul_deb@yahoo.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_deb@yahoo.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 2:52pm
This NAV/HSI screen from the GNS480/CNX80 was useful as a backup to Primary HSI.  Would be nice to see this as an addition to future software update.

NAV/HSI Screen
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 1:27pm
Great idea
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 1:00pm
Here is another old request (2012), you will find a FIX page on the Smith & Honeywell FMS to add such FIX/circle defiinitions. Very handy.

Topic: Feature Request: What about a FIX page?

Quote This is a "big boy" feature that allows you to draw on screen radials and circumferences from a waypoint. They are persistent, and not specifically related to your flight plan. (there were several on the MFD page, in my post asking about the BB)

Superb for spatial orientation, especially in busy airspace, or on final approach. At a glance you know you should be close to the OM, or when to drop your speed, or gear or whatever.

Also excellent when performing complicated SIDs by hand. You can draw in a DME x.x nm circle where you might need to start a turn as you ascend, and then draw in a VOR radial (like an OBS display, but not linked to the flightplan) that you need to intercept.

I routinely draw in a 10nm and 20nm circle around my destination aiport, and then I think 6000 AGL at 20, and 3 at 10, makes sure you are on track. Just add 3000 ft AGL for an approach to an airport in the opposite direction from the active runway.

"Fix" circles have been drawn in at 10nm & 20nm, centered on KSEA (737 MFD)

Very simple user interface, you just specify a radial (optionally), a distance, and the reference waypoint.

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Apr 2020 at 1:05pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:57pm
Here is a copy of that post (2015):

Topic: Feature request: special waypoints

Quote Yes, you can use the "create user waypoint" dialog to first create all of the below format waypoints, before using them, but when entering a flightplan it would be much faster if you didn't have to sidetrack to that function. Why not just allow them to be entered directly in a special format.

Fairly typical in an FMS is the below approach:

Crossing radials:
JFK190/CYN100

rad/dist:
JFK190/25

5nm before a waypoint (eg. HOPCE) already in the flightplan:
HOPCE/-5

lat/long, N 47.0, W 080.0
N470W0800

Lat/long in flightplans is becoming more common, especially out west. Being able to enter them directly on the fly, would be much more efficient. Really, the same with all the above.

Using the above construct, you also wouldn't litter the user waypoint list with obscure waypoints.

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Apr 2020 at 1:05pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:52pm
I asked for the addition of a feature to allow for flexible addition of waypoints, relative to waypoints in the flightplan as well as direct entry of rad/dist type waypoints, years ago. Don't know if it is in the database still. Maybe we will see it some time.

But, from one of the comments below that youtube video, a nice tip ...

..... think I found a slightly easier method. As you demonstrated, we can easily set a crossing altitude at 15nm prior to our fix. That point is not in the waypoint list so we can not set a hold there but the point is depicted on our map screen along the route. Where that point is on the route, press and hold for a moment to activate the "rubber band" function and then release your finger while still on the altitude crossing point. You will then be prompted to name the new point or accept a default name of "RB001" where the number is how many rubber band waypoints you have created during your flight. Once the waypoint is created, you can now easily program your holding pattern. A nice feature of this method is that if you keep the generic name of "RBxxx" it will not save that as a user waypoint and clutter up your IFD.

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 Apr 2020 at 1:03pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:30am
New request:
Add the capability to create a hold along the currently active leg x miles before the active waypoint. As I understand, such a request from ATC currently requires creation of a usr waypoint using rad/dist from a fix (active wpt in this case) that then needs to be added to the route before defining the hold at it. A lot of typing especially if no a/p & bumpy.

For extra points:
- also allow adding hold x miles after active waypoint on next leg.

Much more elegant today with the GTN:

Edited by chflyer - 29 Apr 2020 at 3:40am
Vince
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 6:28am
Originally posted by skybum02 skybum02 wrote:

NRST isn’t on the IFD440. Only the bigger IFD5xx
Ah, gotcha. 
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Originally posted by Aerochip Aerochip wrote:

On IFD440, make a long hold of the Direct button bring up Nearest Airports.
Er, why not just use the NRST button that already exists?

NRST isn’t on the IFD440. Only the bigger IFD5xx
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Aerochip Aerochip wrote:

Er, why not just use the NRST button that already exists?
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:06pm
Some ideas for 10.3:

Would be nice to be able to change sensitivity of FLTA.  IFD FLTA is much more sensitive than KGP560 in same airplane.  

When using the left knobs to change the frequency, it's annoying that you have to clear the frequency list.  This should automatically clear when you hit the swap button.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 5:11pm
A request about user waypoints.  Currently the only use for user waypoints seems to be for creating Routes/Flight plans.

I request a checkbox/switch on the user waypoint creation page that in effect means "show waypoint when in MAP mode".  (If practical, the same feature could/should apply to any waypoint.)

This would give a user the ability to define waypoints that show up in the airspace in either of the MAP modes for better situational awareness.  The default display should be minimal size, just discernible.

(I'm not suggesting the ability to show all or nothing.  That would be WAY too cluttered.

Other's thoughts??

Jim Patton
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 4:57pm
This is more for 10.4 as it certainly wouldn't make it into 10.3.

There is a lot of traffic on the forum about IFD hardware interconnection to ADS-B In and Weather devices. There are also a lot of reasonably priced portable devices that provide the same information over wifi, but the IFD doesn't support them probably due to certification issues.

However, ForeFlight does support most of them and the IFD also currently exchanges flight plans (send/receive) with ForeFlight.

If would mean some collaboration between Avidyne and FF, but it would be very useful if this information could also be passed on by ForeFlight to the IFD via the wifi connection. In particular, the traffic information on the IFD could be presented exactly as with the hard-wired interconnections today without the high purchase & installation costs of an ADS-B In system.
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by 2thomas 2thomas wrote:

i totally disagree....maybe avidyne is able to put this item in for customizing? then everybody can set it up how he likes it. :)

Well, that is why we have 29 flavors of ice cream.

* Orest
2thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 5:43pm
i totally disagree. we should minimize workload, especially in this phase of flight. in +30.000 ifr hours i never was reverted to a fix or waypoint, just rh. and if, you still can request rh or punch in this fix. sequencing means an other task to do in most, not to say on all approaches. and maybe with a new rh you have to sequence it back to the old one. same with the default hold by activating app. i never flew this hold and with avidyne you need to clear it everytime. even the systems at airbus, boeing etc don't create a hold by default and they are painting an extended center line to reduce workload for the most critical phase of flight.
but maybe avidyne is able to put this item in for customizing? then everybody can set it up how he likes it. :)
“Respect others and their views. And demand they respect yours”
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

If feasible, design the units so they won't brick themselves during updates and upgrades because of power interruptions:

Buffer the upload of databases so that the box does not enter "update mode" status (and potentially brick itself if power is interrupted), and remains status quo until the entire file is uploaded to the unit.  

Make navdata updates robust by having the unit abort and return to its known prior good state after a power interruption, so as not to brick the unit.  Do not allow the unit to "forget" its prior valid state until a new update has been installed and verified.

Do the same for software upgrades, if possible.

+lots and lots
Having been recently bitten by this and the associated impossibility to get this problem resolved before a big trip, this really needs attention. Coming from a GNS480 where I could load the next cycle in advance of needing it this really hurts
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I’d like to see the aircraft stay centered on airport taxiway charts as it proceeds along. This was a nice feature on the EX500  airport charts but on the IFDs, it’s necessary to keep moving the chart on the touch screen to follow the aircrafts progress and keep it in view. 

+1
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

I would like the IFD540 to pass TAS traffic, not just ADS-B traffic, to Foreflight over wifi.

+1
Somewhere the consolidation of TAS and ADSB traffic needs to occur,. and weather too. I don't care where this happens so much, but connected devices need to be able to display it!
Originally posted by DH82FLYER DH82FLYER wrote:

A suggestion:
A single aural callout of “Altitude” as you approach an ‘altitude constraint’ in the FMS. It could occur as the ‘Boeing Banana’ disappears, ie approx 150 ft from the target altitude. 

Thomas

+1

1. would like to see kind of custom sort ability of the flight plans and/or also favorites beside the stored ones...

+1
Eg I have my home 'drome arrivals via VRPs and a couple of other waypoints defined for activation when I get close - personally I'd like them always at the bottom of the list, but I'd like to have genuine x-country routes in eg last modified or by "title" sequence (and then I'll define the title to suit the sort)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2019 at 2:27pm

2. when activating VTF, i should have an extended magenta center line to the runway. often, the vector leads you between the FAF and runway and mostly you do it on VFR App also. default looks like the leg to FAF turns magenta.

I would not want to see the G style of removing all the other waypoints when activating VTF. ATC can always change their mind, and in any case, I prefer not to lose the additional SA.

If the leg you want active, isn't, you can easily sequence it, or it should sequence on its own as you approach it.

* Orest
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic