Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Jepp Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 10:43am
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

Yes, that applies to IFR (and in Europe VFR/Bottlang) plates but not to navdata and obstacles as these are never part of an 'iPad' subscription, only of an 'avionics' subscription. Correct, I don't have 'iPad' plates installs remaining, but why does that mean I can also not load 'avionics' navdata and obstacles into the IFD100?

Jorgen
There is no distinction between iPad and avionics subscriptions that I know of.  Access to all of your Jeppesen data is provided via the same JDM-based interface on the iPad.  Jeppesen only allows it to be active on the limited number of devices.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 1:25pm
OK, I've had the 540 data . My renewal was due in 3 days, so today I called and spoke to Jacob (I referenced the other sales person "Barbara" who had given this deal to another member (paulr). I told him I wanted the 440 bundle, even though I had the 540, and he said that the data was different, I sent him a screen shot of the Steve Lindsley comment (AviSteve engineer that said all data was the same); so he went off and pushed some buttons for a few minutes and came back to tell me the 440 bundle was $545   (not the 580 because in MT we have no sales tax.. I bought it........Yea.

Get r done, but you have to be specific and know what you want, I was insistent and they came around.

Edited by nrproces - 06 Apr 2018 at 1:31pm
Sauce
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

There is no distinction between iPad and avionics subscriptions that I know of.  Access to all of your Jeppesen data is provided via the same JDM-based interface on the iPad.  Jeppesen only allows it to be active on the limited number of devices.

So the IFD100 is only usable if one has a Jeppesen chart subscription?

JDM is just an app for retrieving databases and it runs on a Mac or PC. It doesn't need or have a device count associated with it. The device count is associated with a JeppView/JeppFD chart subscription. For example, it is possible to have JDM installed on a Mac and PC and use one or the other to download navdata, obstacle, and/or terrain onto a USB stick for installation on an IFD540/440 without subscribing to Jeppview/JeppFD charts with the associated device count. One doesn't need to subscribe to charts to use JDM to get navdata into the IFD540/440.

So let me see if I understand this correctly, Steve.

From your comments, you have a JDM-like function built into the IFD100. However, if it needs an "available device" to function and there is no JeppView chart subscription (only navdata, obstacle, and/or terrain data), then you are saying that the IFD100 cannot be used without adding (paying for) an additional Jeppview/chart subscription. Without one, navdata can't be loaded into the IFD100 and it is essentially useless. Is that correct? If not, what am I missing?

Edited by chflyer - 06 Apr 2018 at 3:11pm
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

No, that was specifically answered upthread.

From your comments, you have a JDM-like function built into the IFD100. However, if it needs an "available device" to function and there is no JeppView chart subscription (only navdata, obstacle, and/or terrain data), then you are saying that the IFD100 cannot be used without adding (paying for) an additional Jeppview/chart subscription. Without one, navdata can't be loaded into the IFD100 and it is essentially useless. Is that correct? If not, what am I missing?
I'm not sure about any relationship between JeppView and the "seats" required to support the IFD100.  All I know is that when you install the IFD100, you have to "Activate" the device in order for us to be able to retrieve the data from the Jeppesen servers.  But, again, you specifically do *not* have to have charts in your subscription in order to download nav data into your IFD100.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
GBSoren71965 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBSoren71965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2018 at 5:25pm
The IFD100 can be used with the "demo" nav/terrain/charts with the IFD440/540, but you will not be able to share flight plans. I used mine that way until I got my IFD440 bundle, basically you can still use the IFD100 for "situational awareness" by entering the flight plan in the 100 and 440. You can enter frequencies in the 100 and it will share those with the 440, just not flight plans.

I will say that having matching data is awesome! No more double entry! 
jhbehrens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 3:14am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

No, that was specifically answered upthread.

The IFD100 is only usable if you have at least one free seat in your Jeppesen subscription. Outside the IFD100 these seats are used by Jeppesen only for (typically IFR) plates in apps such as JeppFD, Foreflight and Garmin Pilot but in the case of the IFD100 the navdata and obstacle databases also require a free seat.

So, even though you can load a single navdata or obstacle database in multiple IFDs in your panel, you require a IFR plates seat to load them into the IFD100

Edited by jhbehrens - 10 Apr 2018 at 3:16am
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

So, even though you can load a single navdata or obstacle database in multiple IFDs in your panel, you require a IFR plates seat to load them into the IFD100

I don't think that's correct.  I can load the navdata for my subscription and I only have Western US navdata.  No charts/plates.
jhbehrens View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 3:53am
Ah. In that case, if you DO have plates in your Jepp subscription, you need a free plates seat to load navdata into the IF100. If you DON'T have plates you don't (technically you still do probably but none of them will be in use)

Edited by jhbehrens - 12 Apr 2018 at 3:54am
Craig767 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 7:28pm
Bought the IFD-440 bundle yesterday at Sun n Fun. Show special was two additional months for free.
Price was $550 plus state sales tax which came to $590. Good deal considering that I was paying $480 for just the nav data on the 540. Rep did question whether 440 would work on 540 but told him that Avidyne said they were the same so he was satisfied.

Craig
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 9:49pm
When I called Jepp a few months ago they told me about the Sun n Fun deal and said that if a friend attended he could get it for me.  A friend was going so I asked him to take care of it.  He sent me e-mail saying that Jepp would not give me the discount unless I was there in person.

I also heard that COPA (the Cirrus Owners and Pilots Association) gets a discount from Jepp.  I could join COPA.  But the discount only applies if the aircraft is a Cirrus.

If a non-Jeppesen alternative becomes available, even if it is the same price, I will buy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic