Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

VFR Reporting Points Lists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VFR Reporting Points Lists
    Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 4:44pm
When checking the docs area for the new 10.2.1 PG, I noticed that a new version of the "VFR Reporting Points List" pdf was posted on Dec 7/2017. A bit later, on Dec 17/2017, a new "Google Earth VFR Waypoints" file was also posted, both at the bottom of this page:
http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads.asp?prod=ifdpart23

A few comments on these two entries:

1) The name of the linked file in the VFR Reporting Points List (last) entry is "VfrWaypoints1709.pdf". It could be that the wrong file was linked rather than VfrWaypoints1713.pdf, or it could be that the file name is just wrong and the data in the file is really 1713 data. The 1709 version was already posted back in August. I suspect that just the name is wrong, since the file is about 500k larger that the original 1709 file. Could someone from Avidyne please confirm and correct the file name?

2) The name on The Google Earth VFR Waypoints file link is wrong, since the linked file is in Excel format not Google Earth kml. I suggest to just correct the link name. The file name is "VfrWaypoints1713.xlsx". This file has 5 tabs with each tab having the waypoints sorted by one of the various headings (Airport ID, Region/Country, ID, Name, Airport) as well as a 6th tab with the country codes. While not the Google Earth version as indicated in the entry label, this file is very useful indeed, more so than even the pdf version, so please keep providing it !!! 

3) A 1713 file in Google Earth kml format seems to still be missing, to replace the previous one posted for 1709.

4) These files are extremely useful for those of us in Europe, so please keep providing updated versions as the data changes.
Vince
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 4:51am
I'm also Europe based and wondering how I can use these VFR reporting points in the IFD?

Version 10.2.1.0 release notes say there is now support for VFR reporting points but I can't find any reference to it in the pilot's guide. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Jorgen
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 5:38am
Jorgen, the VFR waypoints listed in the download file mentioned in my post above are already in the IFD, but pre-10.2.1.0 they just aren't visible on the map. You can find and add them like any other waypoints via the 5 letter identifier. That is why the tables are so useful, since the ID's aren't otherwise published anywhere AFAIK.

With support for VFR reporting points listed in the 10.2.1.0 release notes in the map section, I assume that to mean they will now also appear on the map. We won't know whether that map label will be the waypoint name or ID until one of us gets 10.2.1.0 installed, unless someone from Avidyne chips in with the answer.

Edited by chflyer - 26 Feb 2018 at 6:11am
Vince
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 7:21am
vince,

will it not work on the IFD trainer? Are those VFR reporting points not part of the NAV-data?

Placido
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 7:30am
Ok, I tried myself on the trainer and punched in the identifiers for Zurich W and S which are VP066 and VP067 respectively and they are not where they should be, they are completely off so not usable on the trainer at least. Whether they appear at the right position in the boxes I don't know but really doubt they will.

Placido
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:58am
Yes, they are part of the Jepp Navdata so any errors should normally be reported to them.
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:06am
It's no fun being the bearer of bad news, but the Excel/KML files were generated as an interim solution until we could get VFR waypoints fully implemented in 10.2.1.  Now that 10.2.1 is available, we don't plan to continue generating those files.  As you've discovered, the data can change with every database cycle and having old data out there is worse than having no data at all.

Theoretically. though, now that VFR waypoints are visible on the map, the need to have them in an Excel and/or KML file no longer exists.  The original problem was that, even though they existed in the nav database, there was no way for a pilot to know their names by identifier.  Below is an example shot of the waypoints south of the Zurich airport as of database cycle 1713.

Now that you can see the identifiers, you can enter them into the flight plan on the Plan page as you would any other waypoint.  Alternatively, you can user rubber banding to add them into your flight plan from the Map page.

Edited by AviSteve - 26 Feb 2018 at 11:08am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:29am
Steve, 

on your screen the identifiers are at the correct location which was not the case on my Trainer app which has been updated to 10.2.1. Will those flags always appear or is there a setting to make them appear?

thanks
Placido
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:36am
Thanks Steve. Understood and agree. Great to see they're now on the map.

I'm trying to duplicate your picture on my trainer and am unable to get them to appear. I can adjust the map setup so the intersections can be seen, but not the VFR waypoints or the obstacles. Is there a trick? I've got the 1802 navdata downloaded.

Luchetto,

What's your map setup config to get the VFR waypoints and obstacles to appear on the map page? I have 40nm, labels checked, nav priority square full (all 3 areas filled in).

Edited by chflyer - 26 Feb 2018 at 11:45am
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:38am
Originally posted by luchetto luchetto wrote:

Steve, 

on your screen the identifiers are at the correct location which was not the case on my Trainer app which has been updated to 10.2.1. Will those flags always appear or is there a setting to make them appear?

thanks
Placido

A line has been added to the Map Setup page to control VFR waypoints.  You can turn them on/off, adjust the range, etc. just like other map layers.

Make sure you have current data on the trainer app.  When you first start the app, you'll be presented with a screen allowing you to enter your Jeppesen credentials so that you can go download the nav database.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Thanks Steve. Understood and agree. Great to see them on the map.

I'm trying to duplicate your picture on my trainer and am unable to get them to appear. I can adjust the map setup so the intersections can be seen, but not the VFR waypoints or the obstacles. Is there a trick? I've got the 1803 navdata downloaded.

Yep, the trick is the new VFR Waypoints line on the map setup page.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
luchetto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luchetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 12:20pm
Vince,

I just punched in a FP with the Identifiers that I saw on the PDF and that put the points completely off of where they should have been.

On Steve's print screen the points look correct.
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 3:00am
After the update to 10.2.1.0 I still don't see VFR waypoints on my IFD540 using March 1st 2018 International NavData. I have switched them on on the map setup page, leaving the default settings.

Does anyone else see them?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:48am
Have you tried playing with the zoom level? Many map items only appear at certain zoom levels, and this can also be controlled to some degree on the map setup page. I plan to check this out too next visit to the plane. I also can't get them to appear on the IFD Trainer or IFD100.
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 8:59am
Like user waypoints, do they have to be linked into a flightplan to be visible??

* Orest

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 9:33am
I just looked at the raw international nav data for cycle 1803 and VFR waypoints are indeed included.  They do not have to be in a flight plan in order to be visible on the map.  As Vince suggested, try playing with the settings on the Map setup page.

Sorry, at this point you can't get to them on the IFD100 because of the lack of touch control on the Map setup page.  We're aware of this and just haven't had the bandwidth to implement those controls yet.  I'm not sure why VFR waypoints wouldn't be showing up on the trainer, though.  You can change the map settings on that app.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:18am
No, Orest. Their appearance on the map is new with 10.2.1.0. Steve posted a screenshot above on Feb 26 where you can see them. You perhaps missed that when you were skiing in Switzerland near where the screenshot shows. ;-)
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:33am

... You perhaps missed that when you were skiing in Switzerland near where the screenshot shows. ;-)

LOL.

We took in Crans-Montana this year. Switzerland was lovely as always.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 06 Mar 2018 at 10:37am
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 9:41am
I have actually tried all zoom levels and also played with the map settings line for VFR points but I don't see them. Has anyone actually seen the VFR reporting points on the IFD540 itself?
Arrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:52pm
I also donˋt see them on the IFD440 SIM
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 1:26pm
OK, I'm afraid this one is on me.  I did verify that the raw navigation data does contain VFR waypoints.  When I run the software in the office, I'm using the latest tools to process that data.  However, I totally forgot that the processing VFR waypoints to drive the map had not been included in the previous version of tools provided to Jeppesen.  We're in the final stages of getting those tools to Jeppesen, but it will probably be a month before we actually get it to them.  Then, it will be a cycle or two before the updated data sets are available from them.  Bottom line is that 10.2.1 does indeed support VFR waypoints as I illustrated, but you don't have the data to drive the software yet.

In the meantime, I've updated the VFR waypoints files available on the website for cycle 1803 (http://www.avidyne.com/support/doctype.asp?doctype=vfr+waypoints&list=doc).  The zip file that you'll download contains the spreadsheet and also a KML file that will drive Google Earth.

I apologize for the time that you spent trying to figure out why you couldn't see the waypoints on your map.  Once they're available from Jepp, they will magically appear on the map, no further updates required.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 5:49am
Thanks for getting to bottom of this and communicating it, Steve, and for posting the latest list in the meantime. Much appreciated.

You can be sure there'll be a group of us in Europe keeping a lookout after each new cycle. From your message, sounds like that'll be somewhere around 1805-1806.
Vince
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 5:20pm
I was wondering if there was any update on when this might be arriving?

Thanks!
Terry
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 9:05am
Good question. They're not on the map in 1806.

Steve, when did you get the tools to Jeppesen? I see that the latest file you posted in the link above is now for the 1805 cycle, so at least we have that.
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 2:09am
Originally posted by terryp terryp wrote:

I was wondering if there was any update on when this might be arriving?

Thanks!
Terry
New tools have been delivered to Jeppesen for integration into their process.  That happened the first week of May.  They always like to run a few cycles before making data produced with new tool versions available to customers.  We do internal testing during those cycles.  I think I can trim that to two, so I'm expecting 1808 at the latest.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 3:30am
@AviSteve, any updates on where Jepp are with this process?
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by jhbehrens jhbehrens wrote:

@AviSteve, any updates on where Jepp are with this process?
I'm happy to report that we are on schedule for an 1808 rollout.  So you should see VFR Reporting Points magically appear on your map when you load the next cycle in just a couple of weeks (assuming you've configured the map setup page to show them).  Post a picture when you can (along with any feedback)!
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 9:16am
That's great news Steve. Wilco on the pic & feedback.

Just to confirm, this is purely a function of navdata and doesn't have any software release pre-req?
Vince
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:09am

Just to confirm, this is purely a function of navdata and doesn't have any software release pre-req?

He just said that. "Points magically appear on your map when you load the next cycle in just a couple of weeks (assuming you've configured the map setup page to show them).  Post a picture when you can (along with any feedback)!"
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:11am

10.2.1 is a requirement.  But if you have that release, then it's purely a function of nav data.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 10:50am
Yes, I can read Lance. But you'll notice that the question wasn't unfounded as you implied. I haven't yet upgraded to 10.2.1 so they won't "just appear" until I do that, even with navdata rev 1808.

Edited by chflyer - 03 Jul 2018 at 10:52am
Vince
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:33pm

Yes, I can read Lance. But you'll notice that the question wasn't unfounded as you implied. I haven't yet upgraded to 10.2.1 so they won't "just appear" until I do that, even with navdata rev 1808.

I think, since we're all on an online forum, we all can read. It's whether we needlessly question AviSteve when the answer is obvious that I was pointing out. That's all.

Since this capability wasn't available until 10.2.1 (according to your first post above on February 22) everyone that's read the thread, including you, realized you would need to update to 10.2.1 to get VFR reporting points. But if verifying that makes you more comfortable then go for it.
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 5:46pm
Steve, I have 1808 loaded and don’t see any VRPs unfortunately. 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 11:24pm

Hmmm...  I just downloaded an 1808 international database via JDM and verified that the VFR waypoints are indeed there.  I tested around Zurich and saw the magenta flags along with names and identifiers on the map.  Can you verify that your database is valid through August 16, 2018 by looking at the AUX-SYS-Status (Databases) page?

I'm catching up after Oshkosh right now, so I was only able to test it on my computer.  Tomorrow I'll try it on a real box back at the show and report again.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Arrow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:47am
i can confirm, vfr points are there for Austria Sinne 1808!
But i donˋt see intersections.

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Arrow Arrow wrote:

i can confirm, vfr points are there for Austria Sinne 1808!
But i donˋt see intersections.

I verified that the VFR waypoints were there using a box here at the show 
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 10:00pm

Any update on your end?  Let me know if we need to start digging into it deeper.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 9:54am
Hi Steve, 

I have loaded and can confirm I can see the VRP's on the map page.  One thing I'm unclear on is that I was under the impression you could find or enter the description of the waypoint.  If I try to select the waypoint on the map page I don't get any information on the VRP, also if I'm creating a route in FMS seems I still have to know the VP code?  Am I missing something or do I still need to know the Jeppesen VP code to enter it into my route?

Any light you can shed on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Terry
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by terryp terryp wrote:

...I have loaded and can confirm I can see the VRP's on the map page.  One thing I'm unclear on is that I was under the impression you could find or enter the description of the waypoint.  If I try to select the waypoint on the map page I don't get any information on the VRP, also if I'm creating a route in FMS seems I still have to know the VP code?  Am I missing something or do I still need to know the Jeppesen VP code to enter it into my route?

I think you're not seeing the labels for the VRPs because they are getting decluttered.  You can zoom in a little further or you can turn off labels of some of the other map features in order to make room.  See the screenshot below.  

You must still use the identifier when entering into the FMS (e.g. VP352).  That's why we put it on the map label along with the long name.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 10:47am
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. I did try zooming in fully though that in itself didn’t make a difference. I also tried Nav declutter and no difference either. Can you advise what labels you decluttered to get the VRP label to show?

Thanks
Terry 
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 10:55am
To generate that particular picture, I didn't do anything special.  I had factory settings and then enabled VFR Waypoints labels.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 4:50am
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Any update on your end?  Let me know if we need to start digging into it deeper.

Yes I see them now. Somehow they had been switched off in map settings. I don't see labels though, not even at the highest zoom level.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2018 at 8:55am

Yes I see them now. Somehow they had been switched off in map settings. I don't see labels though, not even at the highest zoom level.
Make sure the "Show Labels" column for VFR Waypoints has a check mark next to it.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic