Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Release 10.2.1 Available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

I contacted my A/P to have him obtain the update.  After about a week of me waiting he sent me a text saying he didn't think he was going to be able to do it.  He called tech support 3 different times and was told he had to speak with the head tech for central N America.  He left 3 messages and never received a return call.  The tech he was able to talk to said he had to contact that specific person to obtain the update.   

I guess my 550 functions fine without the update.  Moving on. 

Brent,
I'm not sure who he spoke with.  We are split up into regions, so that may be what he's getting at.  I can get him access to the download and SB.  Have him email me at tjsutton@avidyne.com I'll get him setup.
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 1:15am
Can we please have a posting of the version 13 installation manual for 10.2.1? 
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 2:44pm
601-00182-034 SERVICE BULLETIN, IFD5XX-4XX SERIES UPGRADE TO 10.2.1.pdf is included in the zip file with the 10.2.1 upgrade files. It includes the instructions for installing the update as well as a form to fill out when done.
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

601-00182-034 SERVICE BULLETIN, IFD5XX-4XX SERIES UPGRADE TO 10.2.1.pdf is included in the zip file with the 10.2.1 upgrade files. It includes the instructions for installing the update as well as a form to fill out when done.

My question relates to the entire installation manual for the IFD, not the instructions for the software update. There are things that change in the instruction manual, such as the WiFi setup, that we users need to have in hand so we can be informed before we try to make user-configurable features such as WiFi and Bluetooth work. And, it is nice to have the manual handy when one makes a query of an installer who might not have the latest version available, such as when integrating G5 electronic instruments that depend on many settings that are only contained in the installation manual. If the G5 installer is not an Avidyne dealer, he has no access to the installation manual that is currently posted only on the dealer site. Incidentally, the early versions of this manual were on the documents site of Avidyne and were not restricted access.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2018 at 3:49pm
Are you sure that a new IM has been released for 10.2.1 and moved to restricted access? I suspect that there is just the service bulletin for the upgrade, but not (yet) an updated IM.

My recollection is that the IM was publicly available in the downloads section because I always downloaded it when a new one came out, but it definitely has disappeared.

I don't know why the SB's aren't also publicly available. They can't be used without the new software, and that can be restricted to Avidyne approved avionics shops.

Both the IM and SB contain important information for owner/operators when planning panel changes (e.g. adding or changing external interfaced equipment) and trouble-shooting issues before paying an avionics shop to do work. 
Vince
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 9:34am
The r13 version of the IM that pertains to 10.2.1 does exist.  I've seen it.  I don't understand why it's not publicly available, at least to registered owners if not everyone.  It would be very helpful in planning panel upgrades, and even in deciding to buy an IFD or not, to have access to the IM so that a buyer can know (for those that want to know) what the shop knows and be able to speak intelligently with them.  I like to be an informed buyer and owner.

Avidyne, why the change?
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2018 at 5:31pm
I will add to the voices that would like the updated IM.  These details are important for us that tend to not work with a shop so much as have a A&P/IA look over our shoulder.
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 9:52pm
I met up with an A&P friend of mine today, and we went through the 10.2.1 installation procedure on my 440/540 units.  Everything went well, and I'd say it only took 30-40min per unit, coming from 10.2.0.  The only sticking point for us was that the Service Bulletin requires the installer to do a post-install check based on the IFD Installation Guide version 10 or later.  My googling around only turned up version 9.

I put a call into to Avidyne tech support and TJ was awesome enough to help us get our hands on the latest copy of the document.  So far it looks like everything is functional as before, and I'm looking forward to doing some flying with the new version later this week.

Big thanks to the team!
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 10:56pm
Yes, there are three or four values that have CHANGED from the prior version. If using the old version, they will apparently not match in the conformity test. But, they actually do.

* Orest

George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 7:58am
So why the secret IM. I received the update 10.2.1 and it went fine. 
I'm am A&P and have done all the releases. I see the IM as an
integral part of the install. I wasn't given access to the new IM. I 
suppose it just worked out. 
George
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 5:01pm
Shoot us an email to techsupport@avidyne.com
We can send you the IM if you need it.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

it's not in our plan to modify the software in the Skytrax100.

The traffic alerting logic is done in the Skytrax100.

I will be as polite as possible and simply say that I am very unhappy.  This change in the behavior of the avionics was/is a real surprise.  I do not recall ever before losing an expected safety feature in an "upgrade".

Also, I have yet to see a real reply from Avidyne stating that the CAS logic and messaging remains the same.  Will I still get "traffic 12 o'clock high" for example?

Honestly, this is stopping me from doing the software update right now.

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:30pm
The CAS logic and messaging appears to be the same...just no “Traffic” aural. I still get the full caution (yellow) CAS message including relative o’clock position, distance, and high/low. I’m running sw 10.2.1.0 with a SkyTrax100 (RS232 for both traffic and weather).

If “Traffic” will not be specifically announced, I think it would be great to have a user specific optional caution distinct aural tone to bring any IFD generated caution CAS message to the pilot’s immediate attention.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 6:49pm
The Skytrax 100 was built by Navworx before they went out of business, which is the reason Avidyne can't update the software on the MLB/Skytrax 100.

CAS without the aural alert defeats the purpose of having traffic alert. If you are looking outside (which is what you are supposed to be doing in VMC even under IFR flight plan to "see and avoid"), you are not going to see the CAS alert and miss a traffic warning. 

That is a big failure on the part of Avidyne. The Garmin GTX 345 has aural alerts including position and altitude.  I wish it was fully compatible (or future compatible) with the IFD 440 and EX5000 MFD, otherwise I would dump the AXP340 and Skytrax100 and install the GTX 345 (one less antenna and dual link ADS-B in) 

The AXP340 is manufactured by TRIG avionics. 

Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:15pm
can someone share the correct configuration between the Garmin GTX 345 and the Avidyne IFD 540 for TRAFFIC over the ARINC 429 line?

I had traffic over this connection with version 10.2.0 after the upgrade to 10.2.1.0 I no longer get TRAFFIC. The configuration settings were not changed.

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 9:48pm
On the RS-232 Channel Input and Channel Output

Capstone Trfc+Wx:  Garmin GTX 345 and other 3rd party compatible ADS-B traffic and weather devices.
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 11:22pm
still looking for some help on the traffic configuration.
My IFD 540 is showing TFC with a red circle w/slash thru it in the upper center of the screen.
IFD 540 ARINC 429 IN is set to GDL 88 Traffic
GTX 345 ARINC 429 OUT is set to TRAFFIC

This configuration worked BEFORE the 10.2.1.0 upgrade.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

My IFD 540 is showing TFC with a red circle w/slash thru it in the upper center of the screen.

Here are some things from engineering to check.  If those don't pan out, you should consult either with tech support or your shop about that configuration.

• Make sure you don't have a serial port configured for ADS-B traffic or TAS
  • Are there any alerts regarding the traffic sensor that may give a clue?
  • Do the the GTX345 diagnostic menus give any clues?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:18pm
Steve,

Will the Freeflight ADS-B in that is being promoted by Avidyne have the TSO to allow the IFD 440 the option for aural traffic alerts?

Thanks

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Steve,

Will the Freeflight ADS-B in that is being promoted by Avidyne have the TSO to allow the IFD 440 the option for aural traffic alerts?

Thanks

The Freeflight unit does not provide aural traffic alerts.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 5:06pm
Steve

The Skytrax 100 we have installed is providing traffic information to the IFD 440, with revision 10.2 we have been getting aural traffic alerts that were removed by rev 10.2.1 due to TSO as was reported by Avidyne.  

With the Freeflight unit that is now being promoted by Avidyne, will the IFD 440 rev 10.2.1 provide aural traffic alerts for TIS-B traffic from the Freeflight unit as described in the IFD 440 Pilot Guide rev 10.2.1 PAGE 3-35, or is the info in the pilot guide incorrect?

TRAFFIC DISPLAY
When integrated with an optional traffic system (e.g. TAS, TIS,
TCAS, TIS-B), the IFD will display traffic information for sensed
aircraft and provide aural and visual alerting for traffic considered
a threat
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2018 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Steve

The Skytrax 100 we have installed is providing traffic information to the IFD 440, with revision 10.2 we have been getting aural traffic alerts that were removed by rev 10.2.1 due to TSO as was reported by Avidyne.  

With the Freeflight unit that is now being promoted by Avidyne, will the IFD 440 rev 10.2.1 provide aural traffic alerts for TIS-B traffic from the Freeflight unit as described in the IFD 440 Pilot Guide rev 10.2.1 PAGE 3-35, or is the info in the pilot guide incorrect?

TRAFFIC DISPLAY
When integrated with an optional traffic system (e.g. TAS, TIS,
TCAS, TIS-B), the IFD will display traffic information for sensed
aircraft and provide aural and visual alerting for traffic considered
a threat
Depending upon your installation, the pilot guide could be incorrect.  If your traffic system generates aural alerts and the audio output from the traffic system is wired into the audio system, you will get aural traffic alerts.  Otherwise, you will not.  I'll take the action to clarify the pilots guide.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 10:03am
That is totally unacceptable, the fact that Avidyne does not have a traffic alert system based on TIS-B.  Yet they advertise total  ADS-B solutions. that is a total fail on the Avidyne's part. 

We invested a large sum of money in Avidyne avionics  based on the information available at the time indicating aural traffic alerts on the IFD 440, then Avidyne removed that essential function.

What's the use of a traffic system with no aural alerts. 
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

Here are some things from engineering to check.  If those don't pan out, you should consult either with tech support or your shop about that configuration.

• Make sure you don't have a serial port configured for ADS-B traffic or TAS
  • Are there any alerts regarding the traffic sensor that may give a clue?
  • Do the the GTX345 diagnostic menus give any clues?

I turned OFF the RS-232 INPUTs for weather and this seems to have solved the traffic problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic