Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Release 10.2.1 Available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 10:59am
The Navworx issues were with the ADS-B Out portion of the box. The Skytrax 100 is only a receiver, and thus not the subject of the FAA AD.
zsoszu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsoszu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 3:10pm
Hi, 
I am new kid on the block, who recently placed an order for an IFD 540/440 combo to replace my old GNS rack. My question is, if the unit comes with the new s/w version, or I have to arrange it with my local dealer to up upgrade it. 
 I think, it will be shipped out by tomorrow to Hungary...
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by terryp terryp wrote:

Hi Steve,

Looks like the formatting is all over the place in the updated pilots guide, Ive only looked at the IFD440 guide, all the images with captions / frames are out of alignment which subsequently forces the page layout format to be off.

Best,
Terry

I'll look into it.  Stand by...
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
jimmyz80 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyz80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 12:04am
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

Is the issue with the Skytrax that it was the Navworx box, which the FAA declared inadequate, and now Navworx is no more?   I wasn't tracking that issue.   I did think that use of an external certified GPS (like the IFD) addressed the FAA concerns, but perhaps there were additional issues with it.

I'm in the opposite camp.  The excessive traffic aural alerts in 10.2 were flat out dangerous in my opinion.  I could never focus on radio calls in the pattern with "caution, traffic!" blasting in my ear over and over again no matter how many times I tried to silence it.  If this was a result of the MLB100, then yes I'd hope they fix it the correct way.  But in the meantime I'm so glad they just removed the useless and dangerous alerts.
2006 Cirrus SR22 - IFD540 IFD440 DFC90 AXP322 MLB100
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 1:50am
BTW, can 10.2.1.0 be installed by owner with A&P or must the avionics shop do it? Can the owner get access to the update instructions via myavidyne or must we go through our avionics dealer?
Vince
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:11am
Originally posted by jimmyz80 jimmyz80 wrote:

The excessive traffic aural alerts in 10.2 were flat out dangerous in my opinion.  I could never focus on radio calls in the pattern with "caution, traffic!" blasting in my ear

Does anybody know if we will still get the CAS alert?  Or does the 10.2.1 software treat ALL traffic as non-threat traffic with the MLB100?

On my flight yesterday, I experienced several traffic alerts that were a nuisance AND one that was real.  Getting that one real alert (from a target climbing from below me) was in my opinion entirely worth tolerating the nuisance alerts.

In a perfect world, we would only get alerts from truly alarming scenarios, but if the choice is all or none, I'll take all.

I was glad I had 10.2.0 yesterday.  And like I said, that's disappointing.  I like everything else about 10.2.1 better.

I know that in NavWorx's last push at fixing everything, they were working on a newer software version "5.0" and I wonder if Avidyne might have a copy of that software they can push through certification.  (I do not know if traffic alerts were a factor in that software change.)  With NavWorx gone, I would assume that Avidyne is exploring their options for ADS-B In equipment.  Obvious options might be: re-branding a different piece of equipment like FreeFlight or uAvionics, designing Avidyne's own product, or improving the interface capabilities for third-party equipment like the GTX345 or Lynx 9000.

But this is a real blow to those of us to equipped as "all Avidyne" unless there is a fix coming for it.
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by zsoszu zsoszu wrote:

Hi, 
I am new kid on the block, who recently placed an order for an IFD 540/440 combo to replace my old GNS rack. My question is, if the unit comes with the new s/w version, or I have to arrange it with my local dealer to up upgrade it. 
 I think, it will be shipped out by tomorrow to Hungary...

All new products are shipped with the latest and greatest software installed.  I know in the past many shops in EU would order units through DAC International, who would in turn ship stock they had on hand.  If your unit is coming from DAC, the shop will likely need to do the upgrade upon arrival.  If it is coming directly from us, it should have 10.2.1 installed already.
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Where can I get the software in instructions for my mechanic to install?

David,
Have your mechanic reach out to tech support.  We can get them access.
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:54am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Tom,
That's the rub, and that's where the limitation kicks in.  The 429 data stream is not going to give you the full ADS-B traffic symbology.  For what it's worth this limitation exists, even if interfacing a 345 to a G1000 system...

Again, TJ - Very helpful info.
Presently I display full UAT Traffic from SkyTrak 100 to my dual IFD's on RS232 with full speed vectors, etc, and display TAS605 active traffic on Aspens via ARNC429 (I believe).

If not able to merge full display icons with GTX345, then is the Lynx9000 capable of output to display full ADSB & Active traffic icons on the IFD540's, using any of the available channels to the 540's?

Tom W.

Unfortunately not, Tom.  The same limitation is there as well.  We are working on a Skytrax200 (Date TBD) that will merge active traffic with dual band ADS-B traffic.  We're not close enough on it yet for me to say with certainty what this will look like, but it may be the answer to what you're looking for.
AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 8:56am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

BTW, can 10.2.1.0 be installed by owner with A&P or must the avionics shop do it? Can the owner get access to the update instructions via myavidyne or must we go through our avionics dealer?

Vince,
If you will be signing the logbook for the maintenance action, contact us in Tech Support and we can get you the needed SB and access to the software.  Outside of our dealer network we prefer to keep this fairly tightly controlled, and handle these on a case by case basis.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:18am

Hi Steve,

Looks like the formatting is all over the place in the updated pilots guide, Ive only looked at the IFD440 guide, all the images with captions / frames are out of alignment which subsequently forces the page layout format to be off.

Best,
Terry

Why the 540 would be good and all of the others bad is just another unexplained mystery of Microsoft Word.  Updated PDFs have been uploaded and are now available on the website.  Sorry for the inconvenience.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
terryp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 10:24am
Hi TJ,

I am in the final stages of my engineering company (RGV in UK) installing my IFD’s, should be finished in next day or two.

They have emailed Avidyne about the update, though believe they might need to order it? I’d really like to get this update done before we pick the aircraft up later this week. Can you help get them access?

Many Thanks
Terry

AviTJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 2:08pm

Hi TJ,

I am in the final stages of my engineering company (RGV in UK) installing my IFD’s, should be finished in next day or two.

They have emailed Avidyne about the update, though believe they might need to order it? I’d really like to get this update done before we pick the aircraft up later this week. Can you help get them access?

Many Thanks
Terry

Terry,
I don't see anything in our tech box from RGV.  I know Alec has my direct contact info.  You can have him get in touch with me directly if he needs any assistance.  The software can be downloaded from the dealer site, so there is nothing they would need to order for 10.2.1.  
zsoszu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zsoszu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 2:10pm
Thanks for this. :)
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by AviTJ AviTJ wrote:

Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Where can I get the software in instructions for my mechanic to install?

David,
Have your mechanic reach out to tech support.  We can get them access.

I understand the desire to improve quality control by requiring a "mechanic" or "A/P" to do the update. However, I find it somewhat frustrating that many of us owners are equally if not more capable of performing this update process with meticulous care.  I think it's goofy that I have to get my A/P to contact Avidyne to obtain the update for a gps that he is not familiar with at all.  I am very familiar with my plane and my GPS and can read and follow directions just as well if not better than anyone else.  My A/P is great but he knows nothing about my GPS.

The first thing my A/P would do is have me go and walk through the procedure with him. 

If the restriction was to have avionics shops perform the update then it would make more sense (Not that I'm advocating this!) as they should be more familiar with items of this nature.

I was looking forward to the update but having to pay my mechanic to do this is just goofy and that's just my opinion. 

rant over.

Brent  
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 5:28pm
I have a couple of initial impressions regarding sw 10.2.1 on my IFD540 with MLB100/Skytrax100 installed using the common RS232 connection for both TIS and FIS:

Generally, sw 10.2.1 is running as advertised; the "Set Course to XXX" I mentioned earlier in this thread is working as advertised in the IFD540 PG. I finally had conditions set today to experiment with the "banana"...once again, this works as advertised even on my airplane that does not have any baro correction input to the IFD. The "banana" also displays on the updated IFD100.

I created a user waypoint on the IFD100 yesterday and noticed it did not transfer to the IFD540, even when I tried using it in a route modification initiated from the IFD100. On the other hand, my user waypoint was not wiped from my IFD100 either. I still need to test whether the stored routes sync between the IFD100 and the IFD540 as they did previously with sw 10.2.0.

As advertised, the ADSB “Traffic” callout is gone but the CAS cautions remain.

Both yesterday and today, I had an advisory CAS message and blue AUX light shortly after departure. Yesterday, the CAS was indicating that AIRMETs had not been received and stayed that way for the entire 1.5 hours operating the airplane. When I checked the Datalink Status, it indicated that SIGMETs were being received. Today, the CAS message was for both AIRMETs and SIGMETs not being received. Once again, this displayed shortly after departure and remained for nearly 2 hours until shutdown.

All other functions of the FIS and TIS worked well (ADSB traffic, METARs, TAFs, radar, etc.) The weather in my local area didn't have any SIGMETs or AIRMETs today. This leads me to several questions: Are FIS broadcast AIRMETs and SIGMETs only for the local region (similar to regional radar)? Improved decoding of AIRMETs and SIGMETs is listed as one of the sw10.2.1 changes; did Avidyne also change the way it handles non-reception of FIS-B SIGMETs and AIRMETs as I have flown on some very nice regional days and have never seen either of these CAS messages before; I have also recently seen AIRMETs and SIGMETs graphically displayed on my IFD540 and IFD100 prior to the sw10.2.1 upgrade. Did the FAA make any recent changes to how SIGMETs and AIRMETs are broadcast over FIS-B?

The link with FlyQ efb broke with this update; GPS latitude and longitude are about the only info coming through. GPS track, altitude, flight plan transfers, and ADSB (FIS & TIS) seem to be broken.

One other observation regarding the latest version of the IFD100; I noticed while they are listed as a "bright green" items, FLTA and Terrain Awareness (TA) is Off and cannot be turned On in the User Options on my IFD100 running on an iPad mini with iOS 9.3.5. Both of these options can be toggled On/Off on my IFD100 running on an iPad Pro 9.7 with iOS 11.2.6.

Edited by dmtidler - 26 Feb 2018 at 11:19pm
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

I understand the desire to improve quality control by requiring a "mechanic" or "A/P" to do the update. However, I find it somewhat frustrating that many of us owners are equally if not more capable of performing this update process with meticulous care.
I don't think this gripe is on Avidyne.  As I understand it, the FAA regs prohibit pilots who are not mechanics from making modifications to certified equipment.  You can do it under the supervision of someone who is authorized to make modifications and is willing to sign your work off as his own, but with or without your help they are probably going to charge you.

The FAA allows pilots to update nav databases now.  Maybe one day they will let us update the software.  I think the rules should allow us to trash our certified boxes if we want to take that chance, and flag them inop if that's what happens.  Forcing us to hire somebody to do it just puts the blame for messing up the box on somebody else (although it probably would make it cheaper to get it fixed since it wouldn't be our own  fault).  As you said, your mechanic is no better at this than you are, and probably not as meticulous as you would be.  I doubt an avionics shop doing a first-time 10.2.1 update would be any more meticulous than you would be either.  But at least its legal for them to brick the box.

Having said that, it's not Avidyne's violation or fault if you choose to do it yourself and screw it up.  In the past Avidyne has sent software updates straight to pilots who are willing to waive warranty claims if they brick the box, maybe because Avidyne knows the FAA will go after the pilot for the violation, not Avidyne.  Maybe Avidyne is willing to do that for 10.2.1 also.
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:00pm
"The FAA allows pilots to update nav databases now".  Pilots have been able to update nav databases ever since downloadable updates became available.  There is no reason that updating software should be any more difficult than updating nav databases.  There are a whole host of things pilots are permitted to do, that if done wrong, will lead to a whole bunch of trouble.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:03pm
In basic terms, Pilots cannot perform software updates because it isn't listed in CFR part 43 - Preventative Maintenance.  Period...That is an FAA regulation, like it or not.

In my opinion, it does make some sense to have someone who is authorized perform the update.  It can be quite technical because it might deal with all of the settings in and out of the box and other items that an avionics shop would be knowledgeable about.  

The fact that Avidyne has loosened up their control from "Authorized Dealers" to A&Ps is quite impressive.  We should thank them for that.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

I understand the desire to improve quality control by requiring a "mechanic" or "A/P" to do the update. However, I find it somewhat frustrating that many of us owners are equally if not more capable of performing this update process with meticulous care.
I don't think this gripe is on Avidyne.  As I understand it, the FAA regs prohibit pilots who are not mechanics from making modifications to certified equipment.  You can do it under the supervision of someone who is authorized to make modifications and is willing to sign your work off as his own, but with or without your help they are probably going to charge you.

The FAA allows pilots to update nav databases now.  Maybe one day they will let us update the software.  I think the rules should allow us to trash our certified boxes if we want to take that chance, and flag them inop if that's what happens.  Forcing us to hire somebody to do it just puts the blame for messing up the box on somebody else (although it probably would make it cheaper to get it fixed since it wouldn't be our own  fault).  As you said, your mechanic is no better at this than you are, and probably not as meticulous as you would be.  I doubt an avionics shop doing a first-time 10.2.1 update would be any more meticulous than you would be either.  But at least its legal for them to brick the box.

Having said that, it's not Avidyne's violation or fault if you choose to do it yourself and screw it up.  In the past Avidyne has sent software updates straight to pilots who are willing to waive warranty claims if they brick the box, maybe because Avidyne knows the FAA will go after the pilot for the violation, not Avidyne.  Maybe Avidyne is willing to do that for 10.2.1 also.

That makes sense, and I'm sorry if I came across as pointing a finger at Avidyne for the hassle.  I honestly didn't know who was behind the reasoning and decided to vent a little.

So other than telling my A/P "contact Avidyne..."  can I give him a specific phone # or e-mail to eliminate any extra hassle of him having to look for the info?  Also, how is the update supplied to my mechanic?  Email?

Thanks
Brent

PA32-301
Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:08pm

I understand the desire to improve quality control by requiring a "mechanic" or "A/P" to do the update. However, I find it somewhat frustrating that many of us owners are equally if not more capable of performing this update process with meticulous care.  I think it's goofy that I have to get my A/P to contact Avidyne to obtain the update for a gps that he is not familiar with at all.  I am very familiar with my plane and my GPS and can read and follow directions just as well if not better than anyone else.  My A/P is great but he knows nothing about my GPS.

The first thing my A/P would do is have me go and walk through the procedure with him. 

If the restriction was to have avionics shops perform the update then it would make more sense (Not that I'm advocating this!) as they should be more familiar with items of this nature.

I was looking forward to the update but having to pay my mechanic to do this is just goofy and that's just my opinion. 

rant over.

Brent  
How does Avidyne figure out who is capable and who isn’t?  If they give it to you, they have to give it to EVERYONE and what a nightmare that would be!  There are plenty of folks who think they are capable but can’t read and follow the simplest of instructions, or, even worse, they just plow full speed ahead without reading the instructions.  So, Avidyne lets licensed A&Ps figure out who can be trusted.  My A&P mechanic would get the software load for me and then give it to me and wouldn’t charge me a cent.  Is that not an option for you?  This approach makes perfect sense to me, especially since the software is free.
Bob
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:13pm
Where in Part 43 does it say that pilots can update nav databases?
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

rant over.

Brent  
How does Avidyne figure out who is capable and who isn’t?  If they give it to you, they have to give it to EVERYONE and what a nightmare that would be!  There are plenty of folks who think they are capable but can’t read and follow the simplest of instructions, or, even worse, they just plow full speed ahead without reading the instructions.  So, Avidyne lets licensed A&Ps figure out who can be trusted.  My A&P mechanic would get the software load for me and then give it to me and wouldn’t charge me a cent.  Is that not an option for you?  This approach makes perfect sense to me, especially since the software is free.

Like I stated in a previous reply I wasn't sure where the restriction / allowance came from other than I don't believe most mechanics are more familiar with the update process than the owners of the equipment.  I may be wrong.

I'm honestly not sure what my personal options are.  I wanted to get some more specifics to forward to my mechanic before proceeding.  It's no different than myself researching AD's before the annual.

Again, no attack on Avidyne, just the process.  I completely understand not all owners are created equally... nor are mechanics. 
Brent

PA32-301
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by George P George P wrote:

CFR part 43 Appendix A (c) Preventative Maintenance (32)

(32) Updating self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted Air Traffic Control (ATC) navigational software data bases (excluding those of automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)) provided no disassembly of the unit is required and pertinent instructions are provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, an operational check must be performed in accordance with applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

You also need to look at the beginning pf Part 43 to see "Who" is authorized to do PM

FAR Part 43.7 (f)

(f) A person holding at least a private pilot certificate may approve an aircraft for return to service after performing preventive maintenance under the provisions of §43.3 (g).

This means recreational pilots, and student pilots cannot perform Preventative Maintenance, and therefore, cannot update panel mounted navigational databases.  Sport pilots have some additional restrictions - see Part 43.3 (g) below

(g) Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

Edited by Gring - 26 Feb 2018 at 6:55pm
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:59pm

In 43.3 (k), which I have copied and pasted here:

(k) Updates of databases in installed avionics meeting the conditions of this paragraph are not considered maintenance and may be performed by pilots provided:

(1) The database upload is:

(i) Initiated from the flight deck;

(ii) Performed without disassembling the avionics unit; and

(iii) Performed without the use of tools and/or special equipment.

(2) The pilot must comply with the certificate holder's procedures or the manufacturer's instructions.

(3) The holder of operating certificates must make available written procedures consistent with manufacturer's instructions to the pilot that describe how to:

(i) Perform the database update; and

(ii) Determine the status of the data upload.

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 7:49pm

[QUOTE=arkvet] In the past Avidyne has sent software updates straight to pilots who are willing to waive warranty claims if they brick the box, maybe because Avidyne knows the FAA will go after the pilot for the violation, not Avidyne.  Maybe Avidyne is willing to do that for 10.2.1 also.

Perhaps some have waived their ability to file a warranty claim, but this was never a blanket requirement.

What they have said before is that they don't have a way to pay your personal A&P for warranty labor in case they run into a problem.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Steve,

For the 10.2.1 release features, under Weather, found the following statement

"Removed "Traffic" aural for ADS-B traffic"

Does that mean that there are no longer aural warning for conflicting traffic with the Skytrax 100? 

My previous response was imprecise, so I took extra time to research back to the beginning of this issue.  It's not that the Skytrax100 (MLB100) doesn't fully meet the TSOs that it claims to meet.  Instead, it's that the 10.2 version of the IFD was generating an aural alert that is associated with a portion of the TSO not claimed by the IFD.  Once we realized that, on 12 June 2017 we issued Service Bulletin (SB) 601-00182-041 to disable that aural alert.

From the service bulletin:
The Avidyne IFD4XX/5XX, when used in conjunction with SkyTrax100, will cause "Traffic" aural to play. The volume setting for this aural provides insufficient range to mute the aural. Moreover, the playing of this aural is not required by the TSO's met by the IFD series products.

The change in 10.2.1 is just a formalization of the service bulletin. If you have updated to 10.2.1.0, it is no longer necessary to apply SB 601-00182-041.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 11:24am

"The FAA allows pilots to update nav databases now".  Pilots have been able to update nav databases ever since downloadable updates became available.
Correct.  I should have said "The FAA allows pilots to update nav databases now, without having to make a logbook entry."

There is no reason that updating software should be any more difficult than updating nav databases.
Can't agree with that.  Doing the last IFD update on my own took over an hour, after spending a couple of hours in advance making sure how to do it correctly without bricking the box.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 7:13pm

"The FAA allows pilots to update nav databases now".  Pilots have been able to update nav databases ever since downloadable updates became available.
Correct.  I should have said "The FAA allows pilots to update nav databases now, without having to make a logbook entry."

There is no reason that updating software should be any more difficult than updating nav databases.
Can't agree with that.  Doing the last IFD update on my own took over an hour, after spending a couple of hours in advance making sure how to do it correctly without bricking the box.

The Service Bulletin to upgrade to 10.2.1 is 15 pages. It is more complicated that a nav data update by at least a factor of 10.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Steve,

For the 10.2.1 release features, under Weather, found the following statement

"Removed "Traffic" aural for ADS-B traffic"

Does that mean that there are no longer aural warning for conflicting traffic with the Skytrax 100? 

My previous response was imprecise, so I took extra time to research back to the beginning of this issue.  It's not that the Skytrax100 (MLB100) doesn't fully meet the TSOs that it claims to meet.  Instead, it's that the 10.2 version of the IFD was generating an aural alert that is associated with a portion of the TSO not claimed by the IFD.  Once we realized that, on 12 June 2017 we issued Service Bulletin (SB) 601-00182-041 to disable that aural alert.

From the service bulletin:
The Avidyne IFD4XX/5XX, when used in conjunction with SkyTrax100, will cause "Traffic" aural to play. The volume setting for this aural provides insufficient range to mute the aural. Moreover, the playing of this aural is not required by the TSO's met by the IFD series products.

The change in 10.2.1 is just a formalization of the service bulletin. If you have updated to 10.2.1.0, it is no longer necessary to apply SB 601-00182-041.

When and where was the SB published, can't find it on the Avidyne IFD website documentation section, never received a notification as the unit is registered on our Avidyne online account.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 11:27am

When and where was the SB published, can't find it on the Avidyne IFD website documentation section, never received a notification as the unit is registered on our Avidyne online account.
SB 601-00182-041 was published on 12 June 2017.  It was posted to the dealer website since it requires an authorized installer.

Edited by AviSteve - 28 Feb 2018 at 11:30am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 4:37pm
Steve,

I understand that a dealer may be required to install a service bulletin, but not publishing the SB or alerting the aircraft owners about new SB is bad practice and deprives owners from critical and important information. Cirrus aircraft publishes all their Service bulletins on their website and alert registered owner of any new ones, so does TCM for the Continental engines. AD's are published on the FAA website.

Avionics dealers never contact the owner after they do an install, and the owners may never go back to the same installer. 

It may be beneficial to add a section on the Avidyne website for the service bulletins and other critical information, and contact the registered owners of the specific avionics with that information.

Ibraham
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 4:51pm

Steve,

I understand that a dealer may be required to install a service bulletin, but not publishing the SB or alerting the aircraft owners about new SB is bad practice and deprives owners from critical and important information.
I've got the same gripe, and wish SBs were accessible on the company website.  But Avidyne is not alone, and it's better than some.  Try getting SBs from L3 for example - no way.  Probably based upon the faulty notion that avionics shops automatically remember and notify all their previous customers of every SB applicable to each one.  Tall order.  Better model is the recall for autos - registered owners are notified (even though like pilots most can't do their own maintenance) who in turn make arrangements with their shops to get the work done - if they want to.  Things actually get done that way.  Avionics SBs not so much.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2018 at 6:15pm

Steve,

I understand that a dealer may be required to install a service bulletin, but not publishing the SB or alerting the aircraft owners about new SB is bad practice and deprives owners from critical and important information. Cirrus aircraft publishes all their Service bulletins on their website and alert registered owner of any new ones, so does TCM for the Continental engines. AD's are published on the FAA website.

Avionics dealers never contact the owner after they do an install, and the owners may never go back to the same installer. 

It may be beneficial to add a section on the Avidyne website for the service bulletins and other critical information, and contact the registered owners of the specific avionics with that information.

Ibraham

+1, I never knew about this.  I wouldn't say that I have a specific avionics shop, I go to different ones based on what I'm trying to do.  Maintenance is an owner's responsibility, not the shop's, these should be posted and an email sent out notifying the registered owners of the SBs.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 7:03pm
Today I tested a clean install of the latest IFD100 with current data loaded. Before connecting it via WiFi to my IFD540 (sw 10.2.1), in the AUX - SETUP User Options, the FLTA and Terrain Awareness (TA) were able to be toggled On and Off on my iPad mini running iOS.

After the IFD100 was WiFi connected to my IFD540 and "Config Modified" was displayed, I closed then reopened the IFD100 app per the first time connecting procedure. Now, both the FLTA and Terrain Awareness (TA) options are defaulted to Off and can no longer be toggled to On even though they are not grayed out as shown below for all users. With these options Off, the IFD100 map does not show any FLTA or Terrain Awareness displays on the map.

Has anyone else seen this IFD100 behavior?

Bob H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 12:13pm
My Avionics shop just did 10.2.1 install on Wed.  They put the IFD on the bench, started the process and walked away to do something else.  Came back when necessary to check on progress and keep it going, but then walked away again.  The time they actually spent in front of the box was trivial.  They also updated my Nav Data.  All at NO CHARGE!

One minor nit when I updated IFD100 to 10.2.1.  On the flight home, I couldn't find the App on the iPAD.  I let it go until I was back on the ground and then found that Avidyne had changed the App's icon.  :-)
The brain looks for a familiar picture!
Bob
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Bob H Bob H wrote:

.... On the flight home, I couldn't find the App on the iPAD.  I let it go until I was back on the ground and then found that Avidyne had changed the App's icon.  :-)
The brain looks for a familiar picture!

LOL! 

Yep.

* Orest
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:22pm
Question for those with 10.2.1. Does the release change the behavior of the keyboard popping up when selecting the standby 1 frequency?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 10:40pm
I also agree that the aural warnings were very annoying and requested the SB to turn them off. I even got warnings on the ground when trying to do a run up. The yellow CAS message is plenty for me.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 11:23pm
The sound of metal would be more "annoying" if you have a mid-air collision, that would definitely ruin your day!

Avidyne should have provided the option of turning the aural warnings off, and turn the aural warning off on the ground since the IFD is smart enough to know when you ground speed is less than 30.

In high traffic suburban areas, seeing traffic at slightly lower altitude is almost impossible, that is why you need ADS-B traffic warnings.  It is not a convenience, it is an essential safety aide, otherwise the FAA would not have mandated the ADS-B. 

Avidyne must fix the issues and not completely remove the aural warnings. What's the point of having traffic advisory without the warning!
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 11:27pm

SB 601-00182-041 was published on 12 June 2017.  It was posted to the dealer website since it requires an authorized installer.

Some service bulletins are posted on the Avidyne website, why not all of them?

http://avidyne.com/support/doctype.asp?doctype=service+bulletins&list=doc
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 1:56am
"In high traffic suburban areas, seeing traffic at slightly lower altitude is almost impossible, that is why you need ADS-B traffic warnings.  It is not a convenience, it is an essential safety aide, otherwise the FAA would not have mandated the ADS-B."

Well, not exactly.  ADS-B OUT is mandated to reduce the burden on ASR (radar), which exists for (fundamentally) the FAA's benefit, as ATC.   ADS-B IN is the benefit to entice us as operators to participate.  The burden on ASR is saturation - number of operations per unit time, and ADS-B Out significantly improves the statistics on this.

It's extremely valuable, and I'm glad Avidyne supports ADSB-In.  While an intelligent advisory is a great idea, please define the exact criteria that the intelligent advisory should use.  You cannot.

Instead, you can enable/disable alerts as appropriate for your flight regime by connecting the alert audio to a selectable input on your audio panel.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 6:29am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I also agree that the aural warnings were very annoying and requested the SB to turn them off.

So it's your fault?  (LOL)

In my airplane I do have the ability to turn it off because the alerts are on a switched input at my audio panel.

I guess I'd like to hear what the plan is to turn the audio alerts back on again before I "upgrade" towards turning them off permanently.

Edited by DavidBunin - 05 Mar 2018 at 6:30am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 7:00am
I didn’t mean I requested the SB be made. That was done, I assume, due to all the complaints. Once there was this SB, I requested it be installed.   I yellow CAS message and yellow intruder on the display, catches my attention every time.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 9:39am
Originally posted by AzAv8r AzAv8r wrote:

"In high traffic suburban areas, seeing traffic at slightly lower altitude is almost impossible, that is why you need ADS-B traffic warnings.  It is not a convenience, it is an essential safety aide, otherwise the FAA would not have mandated the ADS-B."

Well, not exactly.  ADS-B OUT is mandated to reduce the burden on ASR (radar), which exists for (fundamentally) the FAA's benefit, as ATC.   ADS-B IN is the benefit to entice us as operators to participate.  The burden on ASR is saturation - number of operations per unit time, and ADS-B Out significantly improves the statistics on this.

It's extremely valuable, and I'm glad Avidyne supports ADSB-In.  While an intelligent advisory is a great idea, please define the exact criteria that the intelligent advisory should use.  You cannot.

Instead, you can enable/disable alerts as appropriate for your flight regime by connecting the alert audio to a selectable input on your audio panel.

With 10.2.1, Avidyne removed aural alerts completely for their own Skytrax 100 ADS-B in instead of providing the option to turn it off, that's my concern.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 7:35am

Steve,

That explanation made sense to me until I gave it more thought.  If the IFD is the problem, why are the aural alerts only removed for the Skytrax100, and not for other ADS-B receivers?

By the way, if you say it's because the other boxes produce their own aural signals, I will point out that the SkyTrax100 box has a connector pin designated "audio out" and that pin is wired up to the audio panel in my airplane.  Maybe Avidyne can enable that feature in the SkyTrax software.

Next question: Does the logic for the traffic alert (either audio or CAS) come from the IFD or does it come from the Skytrax?

David

AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Steve,

That explanation made sense to me until I gave it more thought.  If the IFD is the problem, why are the aural alerts only removed for the Skytrax100, and not for other ADS-B receivers?

By the way, if you say it's because the other boxes produce their own aural signals, I will point out that the SkyTrax100 box has a connector pin designated "audio out" and that pin is wired up to the audio panel in my airplane.  Maybe Avidyne can enable that feature in the SkyTrax software.

Next question: Does the logic for the traffic alert (either audio or CAS) come from the IFD or does it come from the Skytrax?

David

You hit it on the nose, other boxes produce their own aurals.  I'm not familiar enough with the pinouts on the Skytrax100 to comment on the effect of wiring the audio out signal from the Skytrax100 to your audio panel, that's more up TJ's alley.  I can tell you, however, that it's not in our plan to modify the software in the Skytrax100.

The traffic alerting logic is done in the Skytrax100.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 10:42am
I contacted my A/P to have him obtain the update.  After about a week of me waiting he sent me a text saying he didn't think he was going to be able to do it.  He called tech support 3 different times and was told he had to speak with the head tech for central N America.  He left 3 messages and never received a return call.  The tech he was able to talk to said he had to contact that specific person to obtain the update.   

I guess my 550 functions fine without the update.  Moving on. 
Brent

PA32-301
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:23am

The banana is still beckoning ...

* Orest

arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 11:39am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

The banana is still beckoning ...

* Orest

I'd love to have the banana but I'm not going to make my A/P go crazy trying to get a return call over a banana.

My other option is to take a day off work to fly over and sit and wait at my avionics shop for them to do the update.  The $ they'd charge isn't the frustration.  It's the wasted time which is a precious and limited commodity.  My mobile A/P is the preferred method. 
Brent

PA32-301
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic