Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Confused on Stratus, IFD440,Ipad setup.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused on Stratus, IFD440,Ipad setup.
    Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 2:25pm

Ok folks, I worked on this for about 2 hrs last night trying to get things to talk to each other.

First, based on the answer to the first question, that may explain my issues.  I'm going to list my steps as well, in case I'm missing something.   I followed the IFD Install manual.

I had the plane in the hanger with doors open, wasn't getting a great GPS signal, but the Avidyne did recognize my location, stratus showed green for GPS.  Did I need to be outside to have this function normally.  I'm talking to everything through WiFi, so why would GPS signal matter?

1. Following Install manual to set IFD as client.  Went to config menu in Maint mode.

2. Setup my Stratus2s in the plane. It showed as Stratus2s014464 on the Wifi network. I selected the Startuss for my WiFi network.  Foreflight showed connected, everything looked good.

3. Selected the WiFi screen, set the IFD to show remote. It showed remote at top left of screen, is that the correct display for being in remote mode.  I had 2 empty boxes below the remote display that had SSID and PSK. I then entered Stratus2s014464 into the SSID box, for the time being left the PSK blank.

4. Fired up my avionics, after Stratus connected on WiFi.  Avidyne showed both WiFI and Bluetooth icons upper right. 

5. I then used FF to create a flightplan, I never saw a panel send to/from button in FF. Double checked settings in foreflight, WiFi network wassetup properly.  I even addeda password to the stratus, same as IFD abcdef1234. 

6. Returned to Config setup in IFD440, entered the stratus password. rebooted everything.

Restarted Stratus, selected the Wifi for stratus, tried another Flt Plan in FF. Still no button to send to panel.

7. Tried the IFD 100 app, it had no data at all, after loading the the current databases.  All units had up to date databases.

Tried sending data to/from IFD 100 app, would not talk to IFD440 at all.

What am I missing here folks? Do I have to have a full up GPS signal for this to work properly?  Am I missing some steps on the config?  I'm out of ideas here. Any input appreciated.

Thank You

Best,

David

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 3:28pm
First things, first.

Get an app like FING, log into the Stratus network with your tablet, and ensure that the IFD is on it. If you see the Stratus hotspot, obviously that connection is fine.

If the IFD is there, then just be a bit a patient, the IFD takes a little while to be recognized. Sometimes you need a tablet restart. Look at the Devices page, you should see both the Stratus & the IFD.

I would suggest you remove the password, it just adds another layer of complexity and potential for error when you are first setting it up. And really is not necessary.

The GPS or ADS-B status makes no difference to all this.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Dec 2017 at 3:30pm
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:11am

Orest, Thanks for your input.

Hmm, have to ask.   97 views, yet 1 reply. Does this mean that 90 of you were having the same issues?

Will get it worked out sooner or later.

Best,

David

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 7:46am
Well, no need for more than a single reply.

And, as you know, most folks tend to be lurkers.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Dec 2017 at 7:47am
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 7:56am
I had a lot of issues getting  it to work at first. Get Fing like Orest says to make sure the IFD is active. Make sure FF is the current version. I've seen the IFD 100 app partially work and I noticed that if it and the database in the unit aren't matching it won't show a course and gives an error.  When it is working you will see the Stratus and the Avidyne in FF and you will have one more little button along the top to send/receive plans.

I do use a password in the Stratus and thought it was necessary but can't confirm.  I thought psk was where you inserted the password for the Stratus but can't find documentation.  there is an older thread on this that might help
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 10:09am
lurking: to be present in a latent or barely discernible state, although still presenting a threat. 
Did I just get called
perfidious?  ( : > )
Jim Patton
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by dwbarnett dwbarnett wrote:

Orest, Thanks for your input.

Hmm, have to ask.   97 views, yet 1 reply. Does this mean that 90 of you were having the same issues?

Will get it worked out sooner or later.

Best,

David

I doubt it means that 90 have your issue.  There aren't that many posts on this Forum, and thread titles aren't always fully descriptive about the content of all the messages posted by everyone to the thread.  So, it doesn't take much time to scan all new posts in hopes of learning something - 95% of which I would not have bothered to look at if I knew what they said before I looked.  In particular, I read your post but do not have your issue (I have an IFD and an iPad, but ditched my Stratus).  So no, # of views don't mean that many people have your problem, and I suspect only a few of the 97 views do have your problem.  Hope the other posters can help you.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by dwbarnett dwbarnett wrote:

Um, no...not even close.  I took a look at it, saw that it dealt with something I knew nothing about, and moved on to the next new message, simple as that.
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:18pm
This forum has been around for a while and there are many "Senior Members" that know way more that most owners will ever regarding the 540/440 boxes short of Avidyne tech support itself. Unfortunately I am not one of them and cannot help resolve your current issue. If you take the time to search a topic on avidynelive.com it is typically out there, if not give the brains a few days to think about it and respond. From my experience they always come up with a solution. 
GDC25
MarcDMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcDMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 11:34pm
I have a similar problem uploading flight plans from ForeFlight to IFD 540.   I can do uploads and downloads when the IFD is set for local wifi.   But when I try to go through the Stratus 2 WiFi, I don't get the upload to panel symbol ((+)) on Foreflight.   Ive tried  everything listed by DWBarnett in the first post on this string.   Any solution on this?   I have not tried Fling yet to see if the IFD is on the Stratus network.....but assuming it is not on the Stratus WiFi.....what is the solution?

Thanks for any advice
Marc
McD
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 7:28am
Follow Oskrys advice and get Fing.  You can ping and figure out what is happening. There is also a Wifi fixer file that Christene provided; that may help.  I had the exact problem you describe but now it's rock solid.  Until you get Fing working, you are pretty much in the dark.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 9:45am
+1

It took me three tries to get the Stratus SSID correct in the little entry box of the IFD, there were some ambigious characters (1 vs I etc.)

Fing ensures you are actually on the network, the rest is straightforward.

* Orest

wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 12:52pm
I get the connection but I get errors when I try to transfer a flight plan.   BH
BH
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by wookie wookie wrote:

I get the connection but I get errors when I try to transfer a flight plan.   BH

Which iPad app and which direction - from the IFD or to the IFD?

Edited by LANCE - 21 Jan 2018 at 1:28pm
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:11pm
-Make sure you have the latest version of Foreflight and that both Foreflight and the IFD have current NAV Data.
-If everything is connected properly you should see "Avidyne" and "Stratus" under "Devices" on Foreflight, it may take a couple of minutes for Avidyne to connect
-If the flight plan transfer fails, which is common soon after everything is turned on, just try to send it again.

dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 3:15pm
ok, got everything squared away. In my case, I had to have GPS signals. Once aircraft was outside, everything worked as advertised.
Thank You
David
MarcDMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcDMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 3:26pm
David,  Are you saying that the Foreflight "send to panel button" ((+)) started appearing when the airplane was out of the hangar and has a GPS signal?   I agree with your previous comment "why would a GPS signal matter?".  

In my case, I can upload and download with the IFD in local mode (the send to panel button appears on Foreflight), but not in remote mode using the Stratus as a WiFi hub.   I found was hopeful that it using the Stratus as a hub would work after updating to the latest version of Foreflight, but that didn't help.  In both cases, the plane is in the hangar without a GPS signal.  

Looking at the Fing app, the Stratus is not seeing the IFD on the network, but I can see my iPad and iPhone on the network, so I know that the Stratus is working.    I'll trying moving the airplane outside the next time..... although it does not make sense ...stranger things have happened.    
McD
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:51am
Hey Marc, yep confused me aswell. Once I fired up the Stratus,FF,IFD100 outside yhe hangat; it worked fine.

Not sure why, but it,s working fine now. Now if we could just ffix my pressurization issues, all will be well.
Best,
David
MarcDMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcDMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 5:02pm
David, thanks for the reply.  I tried pulling airplane out of the hangar, still no joy when I use the Stratus as a hub.   It works fine in the local mode with the IFD acting as the WiFi router.   Using the FING app, I can't see the IFD on the Status network....so that is the source of the symptom, but I'm stumped as to why the IFD link up to the Stratus.    

Good luck on your pressurization problem   What type aircraft?  Mine is a P210.
Marc
McD
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 11:29pm
Its a dumb question but do you see the green "allow" or "deny" come up when you start the IFD, I have 2 440's and have wifi on one and bluetooth on the other.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 8:58am
Originally posted by MarcDMcD MarcDMcD wrote:

It works fine in the local mode with the IFD acting as the WiFi router.   Using the FING app, I can't see the IFD on the Status network....so that is the source of the symptom.

Triple check the SSID. It took me two tries to get it right, with the ambiguous characters and little input screen.

If it works in local mode, then obviously it is enabled.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Feb 2018 at 5:42pm
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 1:59pm
I had a 540 connected to Stratus network. Worked fine.   Then I removed 540 and slid in 550, configured for stratus network but I now can't get connectivity.  Going to try Fing.  Is it possible there is a 540/550 pattern?  Did not see in messages above which unit is installed and whether it was successful or not.
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2018 at 9:39pm
Also you can download your logs and see a WiFi.txt file that that shows the configuration
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2018 at 5:32pm
Hi Marc, agree with Oskry. Double check your SSID on the IFD. It has to be exactly as it is listed in foreflight.

Do you have the ifd installation manual.? It gives a good step by step on setup. I also removed the PSK from avidyne and ipad, perhaps made a diff, not sure. Double check you are in remote on the ifd. Can you see the stratus on fing? Can you see the avidyne on Fing, when in local? I just ask, because I had inialy set mine up wrong, these were lessons learned.

Still no go on press. issue. I own an Aerostar 601P. Using installation manual, with airplane outside, try and restart from scratch, then work through step by step. Hope you have sucess.
Best,
David
MarcDMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcDMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 6:05pm
David,  thanks for the advice.   It may be something stupid, but I still can't figure it out.   To answer your questions:   Yes I have the IFD installation manual.   No password on the Stratus,  Yes I rebooted in maintenance mode and verified the IFD is in remote mode.   I can see the Stratus on Fing and on my iPad and get weather/traffic info.   I can see the IFD on my iPad and Fing in Local mode, but not in Remote mode.   I can transfer flight plans to/from Foreflight using the ((+)) button when the IFD is in the local mode, but not in the remote mode.  I've triple checked the SSID and verified there are not blank spaces or typos.   I wish I had access to another IFD 540 to slide in and see if the problem is with the unit.     Thanks for all your advice.
Marc
McD
dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 7:37pm

Hey Marc, sorry you are having such difficulty. I feel your pain.

I see you are in Central TX, I'm in the Dallas Ft Worth area.  If your close enough, perhaps we could hook up and work together to try and resolve this issue.

Let me know your thoughts. Send me a PM, and give you my phone contact.

Best,

David

psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 7:52am
I don't know if this would make a difference but I put a password in the Stratus and the IFD. Also there is a wifi cal file I got from tech support that I can send you if you want to PM me.

I have had all the headaches you have, it would work in local but not remote. You are about 95% there but something is not quite right.
MarcDMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcDMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2018 at 2:39pm
PSimpson,   Thanks for the offer.  I just got the WiFi cal file from Tech Support.   But I'm skeptical that it will work since the instructions say that if the WiFi is visible in the local mode, "there is no reason to run the calibration procedure."   

Are you saying that putting in a Stratus password make a difference for you?  

Marc
McD
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2018 at 11:45am
A few things to be aware of:

1)  It is apparently a long-time and still unresolved issue that putting a password into the Stratus 2S will cause it to lose its connection with the iPad periodically.  For me, that was about every 45 minutes or so.  Very annoying and obviously disruptive, so the best advice is to NOT use a password in the Stratus if for no other reason than to avoid having this periodic disconnect problem.  Also, it does nothing to facilitate connecting the IFD to the Stratus network.

2) Based upon my experience, the WIFI on the IFD series can be a bit flaky on a box-by-box basis.  Prior to the warranty swap-out to my current IFD540, I was not getting reliable WIFI to/from the previous IFD540.  Because there were other issues necessitating the swap-out, I didn't get around to applying the file that supposedly resolves the WIFI issues.

Frankly, I'm skeptical that it's merely a file issue.  I suspect, as with other issues with the swapped-out IFD540 in my plane, that there are variations between boxes sufficient to cause unreliability of some functions in certain boxes.  The aggravating part of this is that at least some of these issues (such as the sometimes-flaky WIFI) are apparently known at Avidyne, but there appears to be no consistent protocol for getting that information out to the installers or end users.  So instead, we end users end up wasting a lot of time and money trying to get things resolved that, in my opinion, should have been proactively addressed by Avidyne in the first place.

3) The good news is the WIFI in the warranty-replaced IFD540 now in my plane seems to be pretty solid. 

BTW, so far as I am concerned, the traffic information from the Stratus on Foreflight is far more useful than the traffic displayed on the IFD540 from the Skytrax 100.  While it may be useful to see the Skytrax traffic information on the IFD540 for situational awareness when looking at that screen, in hindsight I'm not sure it was worth the $2,500 plus installation to see the limited traffic information shown on the IFD540.  By comparison, I can see far more traffic information on Foreflight generated by the Stratus, including the target aircraft's tail number, make/model and groundspeed in addition to the relative altitude and direction of flight shown on the IFD540.

Stan

Edited by AZ Flyer - 17 Mar 2018 at 8:12am
psimpson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 9:51pm
I do lose the connection periodically, never knew the password makes the link unreliable. I will delete it and see what happens.

FWIW I also have FlyQ and it shows an Avidyne connection as well as a Stratus connection although I haven't found anyplace to upload or download flight plans.
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 11:37pm

I'm not familiar with FlyQ.  Supposedly, Flightplan Go also has upload/download capability with the IFD540, but I have not yet confirmed that.  The upload capability from Foreflight to the IFD540 does seem to work well, although never, it seems, on the first attempt.

As noted, getting rid of the Stratus password should solve the problem with periodic disconnects.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 20 Feb 2018 at 11:38pm
Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:38am
AZFlyer, You might check with tech support, I think you are missing some software upgrades, possible wiring update and 540 setting update to display traffic like the Stratus does. I can see what you describe on our 540 for ads-b out traffic.

Edited by Dlesh123 - 21 Feb 2018 at 12:40am
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2018 at 12:50am

The point I was making, and which is why I prefer the Stratus traffic, is that I can select a Stratus-identified aircraft target and obtain additional information that is not available on the IFD540 showing Skytrax 100 traffic.  That option (seeing more information about the target) is not available by selecting the target on the IFD540.

For instance, I find it useful to see that the traffic behind me flying the same direction at the same altitude is a Cessna 172 travelling at 100 knots gs (compared to my Cessna 182 traveling at 120 knots gs), while the aircraft crossing over my projected course at 500 feet below is a Bonanza travelling at 160 knots gs.  It was even helpful when I was approaching abeam the flight path of a Class D commuter airport to see that the jet ascending in front of me was an Allegiant Air flight with a ground speed of 350 knots.

Edited by AZ Flyer - 21 Feb 2018 at 12:55am
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:31am
I just got my IFD-540 working with Foreflight on my iPad Pro last night, after installing 10.2.1 a few days ago. I had to wait a couple of minutes after power for the WiFi network to show up, but once it showed up, I was able to transfer a flight plan from the IFD to Foreflight. However, there was no button to go from FF to the IFD. I was in a hangar with no GPS reception, so I suspect the issue is as described above. A GPS connection is required on the IFD. I would also like to know why the requirement for GPS lock for data to transfer in one direction but not the other.

I also did not get data transfer to the IFD100. The IFD-100 didn't show the radio frequencies ar any other information from the IFD-540.

The weather hasn't been cooperating around here. Hopefully I can try things out more thoroughly outside the hangar over the weekend.    
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 11:54am

Because others seem to be having difficulties with WIFI after the upgrade to 10.2.1, I am electing not to upgrade for now.  I simply do not want to go through the hassle again of trying to get the WIFI to work now that is working fine after the original IFD540 in my plane was swapped for a warranty replacement (and what a frustrating and time-consuming process that was!).  Besides, there isn't anything in the 10.2.1 revision that I've been anxious to receive so I'll be perfectly content for now to stick with version 10.2. 

BTW, I just tested using the Stratus2s as the WIFI server (with the IFD540 in remote status), and that seems to be working great as well, including full functioning of the IFD100 app on my iPad and reliable uploading of flight plans from Foreflight to the IFD540.  Traffic and weather from the Stratus2s still show on Foreflight while the IFD540 provides GPS data to Foreflight.  The only thing to be aware of is that you have to sign on to the IFD100 app while still connected to the internet (to verify the Jeppesen subscription) before swapping over to the Stratus WIFI network on the iPad.

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:19pm
Just to clarify, I'm not sure that any of my issues are 10.2.1 specific. I did not try any of this with 10.2.0.

Anybody know how the position source is selected when you have an IFD connected to a Stratus network and an iPad with built-in GPS? How does ForeFlight or the iPad determine which GPS data to use?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:21pm
Actually, my wifi connectivity seems a little more solid with 10.2.1. Works every time, before it sometimes needed some jangling of the cords. I use remote mode to a Stratus 2S.

Some folks have seen a disabling of their wifi/BT unlock, but a quick boot with a USB key loaded with the enabling flie, is generally all that is generally needed. That was not an issue for me.

The maintenance page is a little different for WiFi, but essentially equivalent, you will need to input your SSID/password again.

And actually, as long as you have data loaded you do NOT need to confirm a Jepp subscription in the IFD100 app, just hit cancel at the Jepp dialog, and it will start up fine. I often start up the IFD100 when already in the air.

For me, 10.2.1 is transforming, because it provides the Boeing Banana.

* Orest

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:23pm
Orest,

Can you confirm whether GPS lock is required for the IFD-100 to work, and for data transfer from ForeFlight to the IFD to be enabled?
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

And actually, as long as you have data loaded you do NOT need to confirm a Jepp subscription in the IFD100 app, just hit cancel at the Jepp dialog, and it will start up fine. I often start up the IFD100 when already in the air.

* Orest

Good to know, thanks!

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:31pm

* Orest

I have to confess that I don't know the significance or utility of the Boeing Banana.  Would you mind explaining what that is?

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Anybody know how the position source is selected when you have an IFD connected to a Stratus network and an iPad with built-in GPS? How does ForeFlight or the iPad determine which GPS data to use?

Just as Foreflight uses the Stratus GPS over the internal iPad GPS (when an IFD is not connected to the network), Foreflight will use the IFD as the GPS position source when connected through the Stratus WIFI network.  To verify this, you will see the Stratus and the IFD icons in the devices tab of Foreflight, and the icons indicate what each device is being used for (i.e., Stratus for traffic and weather and IFD for gps source).

AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by AZ Flyer AZ Flyer wrote:

* Orest

I have to confess that I don't know the significance or utility of the Boeing Banana.  Would you mind explaining what that is?

Belay that request.  I just found your excellent explanation of the Boeing Banana in your post from 2015:  http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=242&title=a-boeing-banana
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:40pm
Rog.

That thread references my newest post on the BB, but if you didn't see that, here is the link:

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 28 Mar 2018 at 1:42pm
AZ Flyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ Flyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2018 at 1:49pm

Rog.

That thread references my newest post on the BB, but if you didn't see that, here is the link:

* Orest

Thanks, even better!

MarcDMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcDMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2018 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by MarcDMcD MarcDMcD wrote:

David,  thanks for the advice.   It may be something stupid, but I still can't figure it out.   To answer your questions:   Yes I have the IFD installation manual.   No password on the Stratus,  Yes I rebooted in maintenance mode and verified the IFD is in remote mode.   I can see the Stratus on Fing and on my iPad and get weather/traffic info.   I can see the IFD on my iPad and Fing in Local mode, but not in Remote mode.   I can transfer flight plans to/from Foreflight using the ((+)) button when the IFD is in the local mode, but not in the remote mode.  I've triple checked the SSID and verified there are not blank spaces or typos.   I wish I had access to another IFD 540 to slide in and see if the problem is with the unit.     Thanks for all your advice.
Marc
As it turned out, it was something stupid...or rather two stupid reasons I could not get the IFD in the Remote mode to communicate with my iPad using the Stratus as the WiFi hub.  First,  I did not realize that the SSID for the Stratus was case sensitive.   Since the keyboard does not come up on the IFD screen when setting up the remote Stratus SSID, you have to do the twist and push routine to put in the right SSID and I only saw the first 26 capital letters, not the lower case letters.   At one point I sent Avidyne a screen shot, but they did not pick up on this either.   For everyone else.... beware it is Stratus with a capital S.   My suggestion to Avidyne is to get the IFD to display available WiFi networks and then you can merely touch the network you want to use.   This is how phones and tablet do it, and that way you can't mess up typing in the SSID.   The second problem I had a couple of stray periods in the in the IFD box where the remote password goes.  Those periods were probably artifacts of my previous attempts to get the IFD to work in the remote mode where someone suggested you need a password.   The type is small and I did not notice the period.   I don't think that an open network is really much of a problem for hackers at 12,000 ft.    Bottom line, it now works as advertised, I can upload and download flight plans to/from the iPad and IFD 540 while still being connected to the Stratus network for traffic and weather.  
McD
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 3:15pm
will the stratus 2 also work with IFD?

Khuffine
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 3:17pm
Yes, it will work. I use a Stratus 2.

* Orest
bcarlowise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcarlowise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 11:08pm
I had the same issue and discovered that when defining the stratus SSID:

1. The SSID is case sensitive
2. You must change the setting for the stratus SSID  from local WiFi to remote WiFi.
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 3:37pm
This week, I picked up my airplane from the avionics shop with a new IFD540. I experienced the same problem outlined in this two-year-old thread: Even though both the IFD540 and my iPad are properly connected to my Stratus II, and I'm seeing both units active in ForeFlight, I cannot transfer flight plans between the 540 and ForeFlight.

I've reached out to both Avidyne and ForeFlight tech support. Frankly, they haven't been very helpful. Indeed, the Avidyne tech support doesn't seem to know the Wi-Fi networking capabilities of their own units very well. I've had to remind them that the way it works, as you all know, is that both the IFD540 and my iPad connect to the Stratus, and the Stratus acts as a Wi-Fi hub. That allows the Avidyne and the iPad to communicate with each other through the Stratus.

Even though the units are all talking with each other on the network, I still can't transfer flight plans to and from the IFD540 across the network. Has anyone found the cure for this familiar problem...?!

SoCalIFDpilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SoCalIFDpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 4:12pm
When my IFD540 was configured, we had to input the SSID of the Stratus network in the IFD540, where it asks for the network name. That allowed the iPad, the IFD, and the Stratus to all communicate with one another. Take a look at page 1-45 in the IFD Pilot Guide. It might give you and your installer some clues as to how to properly configure the IFD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic