Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Clean screen 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clean screen 540
    Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 8:24am
Cleaning the 540 screen... I see that isopropyl alcohol is recommended, but...

I recently purchased Armor Wax from MyGoFlight, which they recommend for screens like the iPad. Is this appropriate for the 540 screen? Seems like it would protect from smudges, etc.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 8:41am
I wouldn't use anything that Avidyne doesn't recommend. Call them and see what they say.

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 9:35am
There are lots of screen protectant companies that recommend their products for various screens.  What does the screen manufacturer recommend?

Use the pad of your finger to touch the screen and not the point of a pencil, and gently wipe the screen with a clean cotton towel if you think the dust or fingerprints get too bad.  (They have to be pretty bad to be noticeable when the screen is on.)

Screen damage is not a legitimate concern under normal use.  Liquid products do not offer any protection from abnormal use.

Edited by MysticCobra - 03 Oct 2017 at 9:36am
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
I am sure that Avi will weigh in on this; all may recall that Avi sent out a small bottle of a cleaner (Sparkle) to early adopters.

Sparkle's product description:

Remove tough dirt, grease and grime with the Sparkle Glass Cleaner Spray Bottle and Refill Combo Pack. You can use it on glass, mirrors, windows, Plexiglas, chrome, countertops, stainless steel, appliances and other surfaces. The formula doesn't etch, pit or dry out surfaces.

• Includes a 33.8 oz. spray bottle and 1-gallon bottle of refiller
  • Ammonia-free
  • Alcohol-free
  • Non-abrasive
  • Streak-free

I also use a product called iCloth which are essentially wipes.  They sell an avionics version.
David Gates
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 12:47pm
Good Morning David,

Where do you buy the product?

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:24pm
We use http://iclothavionics.com/ on our company IFDs (both for tradeshows and in the test aircraft).
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by BobsV35B BobsV35B wrote:

Good Morning David,

Where do you buy the product?

Old Bob

Where else?  Amazon.

Regards.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 4:33pm
Spruce has it as well.

* Orest

94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

I am sure that Avi will weigh in on this; all may recall that Avi sent out a small bottle of a cleaner (Sparkle) to early adopters.

What?  I think my shop is holding out on me.  I never got that when my IFD540 was installed 2 1/2 years ago.  But then again, I never got my T-shirt either.  ; )
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 5:41pm
Didn't get mine from the shop; came in mail from Avi.
David Gates
pitchristian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitchristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Didn't get mine from the shop; came in mail from Avi.

I never got my Tshirt or Free Keyboard either :( 
cbenedikt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbenedikt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 7:59pm
Never got my t-shirt either :( I’d be happy to wear the t-shirt to advertise the Avidyne brand. Did get the keyboard though.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 12:21am
Well I got the t-shirt, the keyboard, but no sparkle.  I'm good with that. No complaints here!
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2017 at 5:36pm
We ordered our IFD 540 years before it shipped.  We got the keyboard but no t-shirt or sparkle, at least as far as I can remember.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic