Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Setting up cleared visual app without IAP navdata
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Setting up cleared visual app without IAP navdata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setting up cleared visual app without IAP navdata
    Posted: 12 Sep 2017 at 1:32am
I'd be interested in suggestions from such an experienced bunch on how to set up an IFD to fly Jepp charted visual approaches such as this that aren't in the IFD navdata, for whatever reason.

The only way I can imagine is to enter all the WPTs manually (they ARE in the IFD navdata).

This appears to be another case, like the NZ RNAV 1 one for a while, where Avidyne has given Jepp navdata rules that exclude this approach from the data. My suspicion is that it is related to the note about RF coding, even though RF capability is not required to fly the approach.

Another IAP that isn't in the IFD navdata is the Larnaca, Cyprus LCLK ADLAS to RNAV VISUAL Rwy 22 approach. This has a note that RNAV 1 is required, so that might be the reason, but I thought the RNAV 1 issue was addressed since an NZ user reported it as being solved, I believe.

Edited by chflyer - 12 Sep 2017 at 6:52am
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 6:30am
Simpson,

Any indication when these and similar approaches will appear in the IFD navdata?

What limitations, specifically, is Avidyne providing to Jepp that causes them to be excluded? Or put otherwise, what in these approaches can the IFD not do and why?
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2017 at 8:57am
As an additional comment, I do note that the IFD540 AFM Rev 06 (10.2) specifically indicates under Section 2 - Limitations, point 6 on p10, that use of RNP IAPs containing RF segments is prohibited.

This suggests that a new software release would be required to support these and also answers my question along the lines that flying the above approaches with the IFD is prohibited so I guess the topic title should be changed to something like "Adding support for RF legs to IFD's".

It would seem that the existing IFD systems comply with the criteria of chapters 8 & 9 of AC20-138D chg 2.

So does the IFD today not comply with the criteria of Appendix 3, A3-2 (dealing with RF capability) or has Avidyne just chosen not to demonstrate it in order to obtain approval?

I realize that most USA IAPs with RF legs are also AR and therefore not a priority for most light GA aircraft there. However the IAPs above are NOT AR and as far as I can tell there are no limitations on use by your standard Beech, Cessna, Piper, etc as long as the IFD has the capability, is approved, and the IAPs are in the navdata.

At the moment, this would be an advantage over the G* 750/650. The G1000 has the support but is not really direct competition to the IFD.

Edited by chflyer - 16 Sep 2017 at 11:13am
Vince
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 1:51pm
These are visual approaches and visual approaches are not in our databases.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 2:31pm
Are there no plans to include them? If not, why not?

They are, in fact, charted Instrument Approach Procedures including IAF and missed approach procedure (for LOWS also a FAF and MAP) and as such can and will be assigned by ATC when on an IFR flight plan. At the moment they cannot be accepted by a pilot if cleared, per IFD AFM. 

In the case of Salzburg this is the only IAP for runway 33 that doesn't require dual GNSS plus IRU and it is the preferred approach to R33 as indicated in the note. The only alternative is an approach to R15 with circling to R33.

Edited by chflyer - 18 Sep 2017 at 2:40pm
Vince
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 1:16am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Are there no plans to include them? If not, why not?

They are, in fact, charted Instrument Approach Procedures including IAF and missed approach procedure (for LOWS also a FAF and MAP) and as such can and will be assigned by ATC when on an IFR flight plan. At the moment they cannot be accepted by a pilot if cleared, per IFD AFM. 

In the case of Salzburg this is the only IAP for runway 33 that doesn't require dual GNSS plus IRU and it is the preferred approach to R33 as indicated in the note. The only alternative is an approach to R15 with circling to R33.

Print these two visual approach plates and take them with you. No one is stopping from flying the approach. If you have the plates and you're cleared you're legal to fly the approach - it doesn't have to be in your IFD database and it doesn't have to be a coupled approach - this is the way people did it for years.

Edited by LANCE - 19 Sep 2017 at 1:17am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic