Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Calculators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calculators
    Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 11:43am
I noticed two things the other day while trying to use the Calculators function in my IFD.  Maybe I knew about this before (when the pilot guide was freshly-studied material in my mind) but not now.

When setting up the Air Data Calculator, the heading won't go through zero.  My heading was something like 020 on this flight, and the last time I used the calculator it was 350.  The IFD would not let me go "right" through 359 to get from 350 to 020.  I had to go "left" all the way around the dial.

Once I had it set up, my Headwind was shown as -17 Kts.  Why doesn't it change to "Tailwind"?

Maybe some details to consider for a future software release?

David Bunin

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 7:22am
I use the calculator on every flight, and yep, it works exactly as you describe.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 9:35am
Hi David,

That is how it indicates a tailwind.  It displays with a "minus" sign. -17 is a tailwind and if it were a headwind it would be just 17 (no minus sign)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 9:42am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Once I had it set up, my Headwind was shown as -17 Kts.  Why doesn't it change to "Tailwind"?

That is kind of a convention with FMSs.

* Orest

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2017 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Why doesn't it change to "Tailwind"?

That is kind of a convention with FMSs.

That's a shame.  Maybe it's time to change the convention.

David
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic