Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Class D Airspace

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class D Airspace
    Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 10:01am
I noticed on a flight yesterday that the depiction of a Class D airspace on the IFD did not match what I saw on my portable GPS or on my Sectional chart or TAC chart.  Is this a limitation of the IFD or is this a database error on the part of Jeppesen?

Here is the IFD airspace, nearly all a nice round circle.  Not correct.

Here is the airspace as seen on the portable GPS.

Here it is on the Dallas TAC chart.

If this is a Jeppesen issue, is there a special email address for providing this kind of feedback?  All I found on their web site was a general customer feedback form, which I filled out but you can't include pictures.

David

Edited by DavidBunin - 20 Aug 2017 at 10:02am
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 11:27am
Jepp listens with their pockets.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2017 at 12:19pm
That's fine.  I have recently lined their pockets, so they should be in a listening mood.  I just want to know how to reach out to them.

Years ago I had a similar issue at CXO (when that airport first became a towered field and got their D, which was also irregular in shape).  In that case, the feedback path was through the equipment manufacturer (Garmin), so I'm not sure if I need to involve Avidyne on this.

Also, this is not a case of a new airspace or a recent change.  So I have a certain amount of doubt that I could be the first one to report it.

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 11:31am
Jeppesen has been notified of the issue from our end. We are waiting on a response.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 9:30am
From Jeppesen:

In many cases the FAA source documentation does not provide exact coordinates defining the area for which airspace is excluded. An example of this would be “exclude the airspace west of the Rio Grande”. Most times Jeppesen would have no way of obtaining the coordinates for the exclusion so they have historically handled these exclusions by capturing them in textual form only.  In the case of this airspace, however, the FAA source has provided the line of coordinates defining the edge of the airspace.  They also noticed that the KDFW Class B was not excluded from this airspace either.  Jeppesen will attempt to get the airspace updated for cycle 1710, but it may slip to 1711.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 7:22am
Thanks Simpson!

Funny that Jepp figured it out more than a year ago for their brand-G customers, but not for their Avidyne customers.  As far as I know, both of my systems get their source data from Jeppesen.

Not sure what they mean about the class B.  The Class B goes to the surface starting at the VA Medical Center, so the air north of that point/line is class B.  It can't be both B and D airspace, so the D must be excluded.

I'll look for it in November and see what it looks like.  Maybe I'll make another post here to close it out (or to keep it open).  Thanks again!

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 7:58pm
Looking at the sectional that is current today (Aug 27), the Class D depicted on both the sectional and the DFW terminal chart is identical to the IFD picture you posted above, and in conflict with both the Garmin and Sectional picture you posted.  Did all three of your databases have the same effective date?  It looks like the depiction for the KRBD Class D changed with the latest cycle.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 8:22am
Here are the current VFR sectional and TAC for KRBD effective 02 MAR 2017 through 14 SEP 2017 from the FAA download site: http://aeronav.faa.gov/ - these clearly depict the Class D airspace as originally described in this thread.

BTW the VFR sectional and TAC charts effective 14 SEP 2017 through 01 MAR 2018 are also downloadable and show no change to the shape of the Class D surrounding KRBD.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic