Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back Course Reverse Sensing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back Course Reverse Sensing
    Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 7:10pm
When I installed my IFD (software 10.1.x.x) there was something in the Pilot's Guide about how to fly a back course approach and not deal with reverse sensing.  The technique was to dial the HSI or CDI to the front course heading, and the IFD was supposed to recognize this (plus the BC approach in the flight plan) as a signal to flip the deviations around for the pilot.

The last time I tried this in the airplane (probably October?) I couldn't get it to work.  That would have been before I did the 10.2 upgrade.

The 10.2 version of the Pilot's Guide has a much shorter section on flying back course approaches, and it does not appear to mention any way around the reverse-sensing needle.

Was this feature removed in 10.2?  Did it not exist in the first place?  Was it only a technique for those lucky enough to fly behind an HSI?  There is only a lowly CDI in my panel, but there is a convenient back course approach for me to practice here.

David

skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 5:29pm
The way I read it, setting the front course on the CDI is supposed to give "front-course" sensing. Last time I tried it was also in the September / October 2016 time frame and had reverse sensing. Much has changed since then.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic