Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aspen Customer Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aspen Customer Appreciation
    Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 11:38pm
I have had several conversations with Aspen lately over my avionics shop's murder of my Aspen 1000 Pro.  Just suffice it to say that suddenly adding a 28V GPU to a 14V system while the master and avionics bus are on makes a mess.  The shop has finally agreed to pay for all of the repairs and I hope to get the plane back in the air in a couple of weeks.

What promoted this post was that I received an email from Aspen advertising the "Deal of the Decade".

Current Aspen Customers will save $4,400 in customer loyalty software upgrades:

Adds Synthetic Vision, AOA, and ADS-B capability.  Promo list pricing:  $1,295.

While I was talking to Aspen, I asked about this and about the ADS-B portion of the deal.  I was told, as usual, that the ADS-B on the Aspen doesn't work with the Skytrax 100.  Aspen needs to step up and do something about that.  I really want full ADS-B on my Aspen display.  The Aspen rep did tell me that I could request to substitute the Hazard Awareness unlock for the ADS-B one in this deal.  You would get targets and altitudes but no vector trends or weather. 

I want all three of them but will settle for two and a part for that price.  This is a serious missed opportunity for us dedicated Avidyne fans.  I wish Avidyne was on top of it's game for this.  I love the Avidyne products but for me, having the full ADS-B on the Aspen would  be great.  Once I set up a course and approach on the IFD540, I don't look at it a whole lot since it is in the middle of the panel and almost everything I need is there on the Aspen.  Come on Avidyne, don't make me regret buying the Skytrax100 instead of the Lynx or Aspen ADS-B solution.

Woo Hoo!!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 12:09am
I have to say I and many others very much agree with the above.

Many of us bought Aspens in anticipation of the DFC90 which didn't happen, but we still have the Aspens.

Interoperability should be an expectation, and there needs to be collaborative work on this from both sides.

If the goal is safety rather than proprietary protection, there is no reason that the two shouldn't completely work together.
David Gates
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 8:20pm
Maybe someone here can tell me what I will see on the Aspen from the SkyTrax100 using the Hazard Awareness unlock on the Aspen 1000 Pro.  I understand I won't get full target symbology but can anyone describe or better yet show some video of just what it will look like?  Will I see any weather?
Woo Hoo!!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2017 at 9:47pm
No weather from Skytrax to Aspen PFD/MFD.

With the unlock you will have basically the same traffic symbology you had on the IFD before 10.2.  Diamonds and arrows.  No direction vector. 

If you look at Aspen's youtube video they have a short clip showing how their display works.

Here's that link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJpZCzWTX4&feature=youtu.be

Maybe you will join in the effort to get Aspen and Avidyne working together on this. <g>

David Gates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

No weather from Skytrax to Aspen PFD/MFD.

With the unlock you will have basically the same traffic symbology you had on the IFD before 10.2.  Diamonds and arrows.  No direction vector. 

If you look at Aspen's youtube video they have a short clip showing how their display works.

Here's that link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJpZCzWTX4&feature=youtu.be

Maybe you will join in the effort to get Aspen and Avidyne working together on this. <g>

It's a shame that something like this comes along from Aspen and we are not fully able to take advantage of it.  This is the first time in Avidyne ownership that I am disappointed in Avidyne's performance.

I have an IFD540, AXP340, and SkyTrax100.  I did my research when I was searching for a new panel and to me the IFD540 wins the show, hands down.  The interface is fabulous, they support us on this forum, and they do listen to us and make updates to reflect what the actual flying mission needs in the unit.  I have several friends with GTN750s that I razz all the time about how forward looking and responsive Avidyne is compared to Garmin.  Unfortunately when it comes to supporting the ADS-B interface with Aspen, Avidyne has dropped the ball.

It's not like the Aspen EFD1000 is a fringe product with a small customer base.  They are everywhere and a fantastic product.  I have been talking to lots of different Aspen folks lately and they don't understand Avidyne's reluctance to develop to the standard interface for ADS-B that Garmin already has with them.  One of representatives that I talked to this week has a Cirrus with a three tube Aspen and is installing two IFD440s.  He obviously loves the Avidyne units but he understood the lack of Avidynes empathy and support for this area and bought the Lynxx ADS-B system.

If I had known that Avidyne was not going to follow through with this, I certainly would not have installed the Skytrax100.  I had lots of other choices and made the wrong one.  Now we are presented with a great opportunity from Aspen to buy the unlock codes for our Aspens for  AOA, synthetic vision, and ADS-B at a fraction of the usual cost, and we can't realize the full potential of that opportunity.

I still love my IFD540 but my wide open cheering section in relation to all things Avidyne has been muted somewhat.

Aspen has stepped up and will allow those of us with less than compatible interfaces (Avidyne) to swap the ADS-B uinlock for the Hazard Awareness one.  We will still get basic symbology like in the early days of ADS-B but none of the 3-D or advanced symbology nor weather that you would get with a Garmin GTN unit.

Who, at Avidyne do we direct or frustration, hopes, and wants towards over this?  Do they even care that we are unhappy with this outcome?  I really hate it when my buddies with the big "G" equipment can point to something theirs can do that ours can't.  Fix it!
Woo Hoo!!!
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:18pm
Although it would be nice to have all options available (and for the record I don't have an Aspen) I have to ask how desirable it is to have ADS-B information on the Aspen.  I mean those screens are relatively tiny.  I can't imagine wanting anything other than the EFIS info and HSI.  The Skytrax 100 sending traffic and wx to my IFD 550 and/or the IFD100 app is much more desirable IMHO.  I would want to keep the Aspen (or dual G5's for that matter) as clean as possible.

Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:49pm
I'll answer that.

It is very desirable to have WX on the Aspen MFD.  That is the flight display right in front of the pilot.

Secondly, the nexrad of ADS-B displays on the EFD, and is useful in that sense.
David Gates
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:52pm
I just completed an upgrade to my panel, adding the L-3 9000 and 1000/500 Aspen MFD's to my 1000PRO PFD. The ADSB interface between the two is great. The traffic well displayed on a more than adequate screen size, with all the info you need. The weather/TFR's/METAR's and such are just as robust. And I love the detail of the maps. I live in North AZ and fly to Colorado regularly, so appreciate the detail.  And the L-3 is much more accurate than the Stratus I previously used. Love it!
kansasdoc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 10:57am
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

Although it would be nice to have all options available (and for the record I don't have an Aspen) I have to ask how desirable it is to have ADS-B information on the Aspen.  I mean those screens are relatively tiny.  I can't imagine wanting anything other than the EFIS info and HSI.  The Skytrax 100 sending traffic and wx to my IFD 550 and/or the IFD100 app is much more desirable IMHO.  I would want to keep the Aspen (or dual G5's for that matter) as clean as possible.

I second DDGATES' opinion.  Once I set up my flight plan or approach in the IFD540, I rarely look at it since it is in the center stack and not as easy to see as the Aspen unit that is right in front of me.  Traffic info shouldn't be too much clutter, especially when you are zoomed in to a decent area.  Since I'm focused there, I want to see my traffic there too.  I can't say about wx, that might be too much but I would like to have the option.

Aspen sent the unlock codes by next day air and I am hopeful that I will be picking up the plane today.  Weather is good for some test flights.  The AOA has to be calibrated in the air.

After the UVE (unfortunate voltage event) there will also be a lot of testing of equipment.  The first indicator we had that something was wrong, a tone in the pilot side headset generated by the Aspen, is gone.  That's good.  In addition to the Aspen getting fried, the autopilot was suddenly tracking one and a half dots to the right once inside the IAP.  Hopefully that will be corrected today also.
Woo Hoo!!!
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:31am
Thanks for the explanations.  I guess as someone that hasn't used an Aspen before I was only considering the single PFD installation.  With the MFD as well there would be additional screen real estate for sure.  I appreciate the answers.  Very legit.  
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:37am
Full weather on the single PFD would be cramped. But traffic and lightning data (wx500) works very well.

Although the Aspen seems small, it really isn't. Very easy to read all the data, with SV, even if you are presbyopic.

* Orest
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Full weather on the single PFD would be cramped. But traffic and lightning data (wx500) works very well.

Although the Aspen seems small, it really isn't. Very easy to read all the data, with SV, even if you are presbyopic.

* Orest

Not full weather, just the NEXRAD image on the PFD.  I won't post a photo here of a competitor's product but Aspen's website shows the PFD with nexrad on the HSI depiction.  It can be zoomed in and out and does show precip in relation to your current track.

Not essential, but if you are receiving the information anyway, why not have the option to display it?
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 2:40pm
Yep, nexrad would be useful, and workable.

* Orest
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2017 at 9:43pm
Larry,
Great to hear of your Lynx upgrade and display on Aspens.  
I also use dual Aspens and dual 540's and would love to be able to see Nexrad and ADSB traffic on Aspens as well as on 540's. 

So, to accomplish this on our Aspens and 540's, we need Avidyne to add RS232 115,200 baud format to the RS232 inputs...

Hope this is part of v10.2.1, and soon.

Tom W.

P.S.  I just sent you a P.M. as well.
Cruiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 3:51pm

I just installed the Aspen Evolution 2500 and a set of Avidyne IFD540/440 to my panel.

Unfortunately I find out after the purchase that only one can be connected the Garmin GTX 345. I can get weather and traffic on Aspen or Avidyne but not both !

Why can't everyone cooperate and provide a standard interface to configure with?????

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by Cruiser Cruiser wrote:

I just installed the Aspen Evolution 2500 and a set of Avidyne IFD540/440 to my panel.

Unfortunately I find out after the purchase that only one can be connected the Garmin GTX 345. I can get weather and traffic on Aspen or Avidyne but not both !

Why can't everyone cooperate and provide a standard interface to configure with?????

Amen, brother.

I would be happy if just the MLB100 would play on the Aspens.

Too much to hope for, I guess.
David Gates
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2017 at 7:32pm
Lots of prior threads on this...

We have all been holding our breath (or not) that the promised "end of summer" (Q3-4 2017) 540/440 v10.2.1 will allow high speed RS232 inputs (115,200 baud) from ADSB units like Lynx9000, GTX345, and Skytrax100 (MLB100) so at least all can receive together.

It would ALSO be nice if Avidyne/NavWorx would develop an Aspen interface Unlock for the Skytrax100!!

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 21 Sep 2017 at 7:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic