Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreflight connectivity issues with 10.2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreflight connectivity issues with 10.2
    Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:26pm
After upgrading to 10.2, I can no longer display weather and traffic on my iPad. There's wifi connectivity, because I can push a flight plan from Foreflight to the 540 (cool feature, btw). Ownship display is fine, too. I know the MLB 100 is receiving ADS-B weather and traffic, because it displays on the 540. I'm just not sure why I'm getting "radar not available" at the same time on Foreflight. I know it's not the end of the world, since the 540 display is available, but I kind of prefer the way Foreflight displays precipitation - it's a bit sharper and the colors tend to be a more accurate representation of the actual weather. Any ideas what the glitch may be? 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 3:48pm
FF doesn't support pulling TIS & FIS from an IFD, yet.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

* Orest

If you route your WiFi connection from FF via the 540 "Remote" Hub through your Stratus box... I would think all FF Wx products should be intact.  I will check next flight to see if all FF and FlyQ iPad "Stratus-features" remain despite hooking up to 540 via the remote hub.  

Should be unaffected. 

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

If you route your WiFi connection from FF via the 540 "Remote" Hub...

Yes, I have my IFD (remote mode) & tablet connected to my Stratux, and it all works. I get ADS-B TIS/FIS from my Stratux to FF, and FF can up/download flightplans and location.

But, I think the OP does not have a portable ADS-B IN unit, he is trying to pull the Skytrax data down to FF.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 3:02pm

Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

If you route your WiFi connection from FF via the 540 "Remote" Hub...

Yes, I have my IFD (remote mode) & tablet connected to my Stratux, and it all works. I get ADS-B TIS/FIS from my Stratux to FF, and FF can up/download flightplans and location.

But, I think the OP does not have a portable ADS-B IN unit, he is trying to pull the Skytrax data down to FF.

* Orest

Orest,  always difficult to choose which thread is most applicable, but:

Flew this AM with my Dual 540’s un-synched.
1.  Sent a new ForeFlight FP over WiFi (remote) to 540 #1, and got familiar disturbing message that “Routes re-synchronizing… “ with progress from “0% - 100%… followed by total deletion of all Routes!!

2.  Tried same with 540#2 (Local WiFi), no issue at all.

3.  After restoring Routes from thumb drive to 540#1, entered a manual New FP without issues.
4.  Later, in flight, up-synched a New FP via ForeFlight using WiFi (remote) to 540#1, this time, No Issues.
5.  Then, in flight, up-synched a New FP via ForeFlight using WiFi (local) to 540#2, and No Issues.

My Conclusions:

1.  Deletion of Routes (sometimes User Wpts) seems related to the Synchronizing process, in general, not necessarily between cross-synching 540’s, but any synch. from an external device from - iPad App, or other 540!!

Obviously this is very concerning - can you please make engineering aware ASAP… Does this sound like I'm having a 540 hardware, or Software issue with v10.2?

Help.

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 19 Jun 2017 at 3:03pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm
I have not personally seen this disturbing behaviour, but I only have one unit, and two installed units may be a necessary condition regardless of what actually triggers it.

I think I read here that the issue has been duplicated, and that 10.2.1 may address this (?), but I may be wrong as I wasn't paying close attention to it.

* Orest

arkvet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 8:11am
Tried foreflight connection with IFD 550 for first time yesterday. iPad connected to IFD wireless network no problem. New button at top of foreflight allowed me to pull flight plan from IFD. That worked perfectly.

I was under the impression that the last foreflight update allowed biderictional flight plan transfer? Does that FF to IFD transfer need to be initiated via the IFD?

To be honest though this is mainly to satistfy my curiousity. When I was flying with my old GNS530w the idea of FF pushing a flight plan was a dream. I actually find flight plan entry into the IFD to be as easy if not easier.
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by arkvet arkvet wrote:

I was under the impression that the last foreflight update allowed biderictional flight plan transfer? Does that FF to IFD transfer need to be initiated via the IFD?

To be honest though this is mainly to satistfy my curiousity....

Yes, I can upload as well, but it pushes it to the route page, does not change the active route (which is good). In the FF 9.13 dialog on the FF MAP page I have a choice of download, or upload.

And, yes, that is exactly my experience too. Flight plan upload/download is cool, but not that important with the IFD, as it is lightning fast to enter on screen. It also reinforces the flight plan in your mind, and double checks it as you build it graphically. I use the download occasionally , if there is an enroute rerouting, I have the IFD push the new plan to the tablet.

* Orest

George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 10:07am
I also have the IFD 550. I can connect thru the local connection, but not thru the remote. Tech Support says there is a problem and a fix is coming. Can you confirm
you can connect by way of Stratus or other remote hubs?

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:09am
Originally posted by George George wrote:

I also have the IFD 550. I can connect thru the local connection, but not thru the remote. Tech Support says there is a problem and a fix is coming. Can you confirm
you can connect by way of Stratus or other remote hubs?

Yes, confirmed.

BUT occasionally (1 in 10 flights) the IFD just doesn't connect - so I may just be seeing this bug intermittently.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Jun 2017 at 11:10am
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:01pm
Thanks for the reply . My IFD 550 is a solid problem.
There is suppose to be a fix in 10.2.1, but no proposed
release date.
bwendel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 6:23pm

* Orest

Thanks, Orest. That's exactly the problem - I don't have a Stratus and was trying to pull ADS-B data from the MLB-100 to ForeFlight. Glad to know it's not supported, and not my screwing up the configuration somehow. 
psimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 11:13pm
Is there anywhere on the IFD that shows it connected to the Stratus or just in Devices in FF?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2017 at 10:41am
Originally posted by psimpson psimpson wrote:

Is there anywhere on the IFD that shows it connected to the Stratus or just in Devices in FF?

Not that I know, although you might be able to pull that out of the logs.

Easiest way to tell, is use a free app like Fing. Available in android & iOS.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic