Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD-driven HUD for GA?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD-driven HUD for GA?
    Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 4:36pm
This month's AOPA Pilot (turbine edition) carries a feature article about an IPAD-based HUD for GA, driven by the IFD series navigator.  The device projects an IPAD image onto a HUD "combiner", and apparently the device isn't vaporware, it already exists.  The device comes from Epic Optic, and the article features comments from Steve Jacobson.  Quote the article, "Avidyne Avionics has been working especially closely with Epic Optix because officials at the Massachussets firm believe their IFD series nav/coms are particularly well suited for the HUD.  Each Avidyne IFDF has an internal air data computer that transmits information via Wi-Fi."

There's much more to the article.

Also quote: "Epic Optix plans to begin manufacturing HUDs this year and will set an initial retail price of about $2000."

Any more info, Simpson?

Edited by ddgates - 17 Jun 2017 at 4:37pm
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2017 at 5:55pm
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/july/pilot/hud-for-light-ga
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:21am
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 9:23am
Talk about a future-istic article!  Note the date on the article.. LOL!... ;-) 

Exciting!  Hope to see that kind of cool stuff available for my IFD440s someday... looks neat!

Doug
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 12:02pm
The AOPA article says Steve's flying one at Hanscom, KBED.  Time for a road trip?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 9:28am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

This month's AOPA Pilot (turbine edition) carries a feature article about an IPAD-based HUD for GA, driven by the IFD series navigator.  The device projects an IPAD image onto a HUD "combiner", and apparently the device isn't vaporware, it already exists.  The device comes from Epic Optic, and the article features comments from Steve Jacobson.  Quote the article, "Avidyne Avionics has been working especially closely with Epic Optix because officials at the Massachussets firm believe their IFD series nav/coms are particularly well suited for the HUD.  Each Avidyne IFDF has an internal air data computer that transmits information via Wi-Fi."

There's much more to the article.

Also quote: "Epic Optix plans to begin manufacturing HUDs this year and will set an initial retail price of about $2000."

Any more info, Simpson?
Nothing more to include other than it's just one example of a company thinking outside the box when utilizing our SDK. It will be very interesting to see where something like this goes.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
nrproces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrproces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 3:25pm
I didn't realize the SJ was a subsonic hog driver, although he would probably give me a hard time, cuz I am so old, I actually flew the 106, before the viper.

Edited by nrproces - 20 Jun 2017 at 3:26pm
Sauce
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 3:23pm
I have a 540; does that box have an air data computer inside?  I don't believe it's currently connected to the pitot/static system.  And would the Epic Optix system work on a 540?  Or is a 550 required?  Just curious about options when this HUD hits the market.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2017 at 9:10am
No, there isn't an ADC in the 540. It will accept Air Data from a few vendors. To replicate what AOPA had flown with Steve, their flight had an IFD550 and an IFD100.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 1:19pm
So the IFD550 has an ADC whereas the IFD540 doesn't? I thought the IFD550 just had an AHRS in addition to IFD540.

If so, does that mean that the IFD550 will also sequence to the next leg after a missed approach to altitude leg, whereas on the IFD540 leg sequencing is manual unless there is a baro input?

Vince
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

So the IFD550 has an ADC whereas the IFD540 doesn't? I thought the IFD550 just had an AHRS in addition to IFD540.

If so, does that mean that the IFD550 will also sequence to the next leg after a missed approach to altitude leg, whereas on the IFD540 leg sequencing is manual unless there is a baro input?

Not sure where you got that a 550 had an Air Data computer - Simpson's comment said that a 540 would accept Air Data from certain vendors, not that a 550 has an Air Data computer. A 550 also will accept Air data from certain vendors.

Also the 550 does not have AHRS (Attitude Heading Reference System) it has ARS (Attitude Reference System). Both the 540 and 550 will accept heading from certain vendors. 

Edited by LANCE - 09 Jul 2017 at 7:58pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2017 at 4:43pm
The juxtaposition of IFD540 and IFD550 in Simpson's comment led me to the conclusion... a bit presumptuous I guess...
Vince
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2017 at 2:28pm
As I recall, the AOPA article incorrectly stated that there was an air data computer inside the IFD. Doesn't matter if we're talking 540 or 550 in that respect.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic