Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

LDA approach missing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LDA approach missing
    Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 9:50am
I'm hoping to do some IFR currency training today if the winds don't interfere and one of the approaches the instructor said to review is the VNY LDA-C.  The approach isn't in the IFD database (at least not in the trainer) and although I've never flown a LDA, I don't see anything unique about it for why it wouldn't be in the database.  I was able to create the approach easy enough by punching in the individual waypoints for situational awareness.  The approach uses VLOC for final navigation so I don't need to worry about not pulling it from the database, but I'm curious as to why it's not in the database.
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 10:24am
Dunno. Maybe because the IFD Trainer has no VLOC functionality? I bet the approach is in the actual IFD's NavData.
Ron L
Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 12:51pm
During my IFR training I recall flying the LDA-C into KVNY and I seem to recall the approach not being in the database for my Garmin 430W either.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by ronl ronl wrote:

Dunno. Maybe because the IFD Trainer has no VLOC functionality? I bet the approach is in the actual IFD's NavData.

I don't see the LDA being any different than the other VLOC approaches that are in the database so I don't think that would or should be it.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2017 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Flying_Monkey Flying_Monkey wrote:

During my IFR training I recall flying the LDA-C into KVNY and I seem to recall the approach not being in the database for my Garmin 430W either.

Thanks Flying_Monkey, I searched for LDA missing garmin 430 and this popped up - you may need an account for the link to work.   https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=120712

They say the issue is that ARINC 424 coding rules will not allow for the capture of an LDA approach into one location which uses a LOC facility at an entirely different location (this LDA uses the LOC from Burbank) so they believe it is a database coding issue.
skyking00a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyking00a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 12:12am
Darn it! My plan was for you to not discover that until after going missed at KCMA.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic