Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > TWX670 Tactical Weather Detection System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TWX operation with IFD550

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TWX operation with IFD550
    Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 8:34pm
I just installed my new IFD550 and it seems like everything booted up just fine, except for my TWX 670, which is giving me 'lightning sensor' errors.

There are a couple of storms passing by today, and at one point I heard an audio 'lighting at 8 O'clock' notification, which suggests to me that the lightning might be working but flagging the interface as a fail.

The RS-232 config has that port set to TWX for both input and output, just like it was on the IFD540.

This seems similar to the old data framing issue that a few of us saw on the MLB100 for a while...

Has there been any engineering or other discussion about potential issues in this area? Is there a new TWX670 software version I need to load? Different config I should use?

Thanks,

Keith Peterson
Cardinal Flyers
Cardinal RG N177KP
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 8:48pm
I would like to see a TWX670 Sensor test with the IFDXxx boxes.  I am at 10.2 and wired on RS232 (I assume like you) and I am not getting errors, however, I have not been in an area that has TSRA to test it.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 10:06pm
Very interested in this as I have access to purchase a 670.

My shop is trying to get me to buy a WX-500.

Edited by ddgates - 09 Jun 2017 at 10:07pm
David Gates
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 11:08pm
I don't know about a TWX670, but I can test my 500 stormscope with a 9 volt battery and a piece of wire.  Just arc across the terminals with the wire several times and you will have lots of "strikes"
petersk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 7:33am
As it turns out, Avidyne will be glad to sell you a hand held strike generator. It's a little plastic box with a label and a button, as I recall... not a terribly impressive piece of gear.

However it will generate strikes on the unit much better than a spark gap. The TWX670 is a pretty good box... where a stormscope or strikefinder can be tested with a noisy electric drill, I'm told, the Avidyne will reject those kinds of electromagnetic noises as not being lightning.

We did a lot of work on my installation in initially, based on some additional recommendations from the factory, which greatly increased it's sensitivity and performance. So I'm not worried about the detector, in fact last weekend it did a great job of seeing lighting 150 plus miles away while on a trip to Kansas.

It's just the data transfer errors that I'm hoping to resolve.

Thanks,
Keith Peterson
Cardinal Flyers
Cardinal RG N177KP
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2017 at 8:48am
There is no question that the TWX670 is a better unit than the WX500.  It has far less false positives especially out to the 200nm distance.  I had hoped that the EX500/600 cell mode would be added to the IFD540 as that is a cool feature the WX500 lacks.

TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2017 at 11:27am
Any one willing to share how much it cost to install the x670?  I like the concept, but will would like to know what one really cost to install.

Thanks,
Tom Goodwin
Tom G
Mkramer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mkramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 2:02pm
I purchased 2 IFD 440's. And was told it is a complete swap out with all functionality that is in the Garmin 530.
Problem:
I have a storm scope WX 500 in my PA32  & EX5000 display. With the Garmin I had control of the storm scope in all phases, i.e Range 20 mls to 200 mls, 120 or 360 degree zones display and most important strike count.
The IFD 440 do not show strike counts. The display does show strike areas but without the count, you cannot validate the timing & proximity of the strikes. Hence it is not a true Strike finder. For those of us that use a storm scope for it's intent, strike  count and zone control is critical.
Does Avidyne have any intention to TSO this unit for count display? 

PS a battery operate drill does just fine
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic