Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foreflight 9.1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foreflight 9.1
    Posted: 30 May 2017 at 7:37pm
Nice... two way flightplan transfer with the IFD 550/540/440.

Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2017 at 10:53pm
Great, thanks for the news, have been waiting patiently for that.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:34am
Outstanding!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:45am
Originally posted by mkellock mkellock wrote:

How do you access that feature? Is it passive or active, that is do you push a button to sync it.

Does it work with a portable ADS-B device being the hot-spot, and the IFD in client mode?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 8:49am
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:06am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Originally posted by mkellock mkellock wrote:

How do you access that feature? Is it passive or active, that is do you push a button to sync it.

Does it work with a portable ADS-B device being the hot-spot, and the IFD in client mode?

* Orest

I believe it is both. There is a button to press for loading flight plan data to and from the panel IFD but I believe there is also a user option to accept changes coming from the IFD automatically. I can't seem to find an update to their PG to confirm this.

Not sure on your second question.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:36am
I wonder if this feature will be available when Foreflight is connected to a Stratus, and if so, how the WiFi network is configured.  Or will it connect to the IFD via Bluetooth?  Still no updated Pilot Guide for 9.1.
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:25am
exciting news!  I have to admit my head spins when I try to figure out the "network" of my panel.  My shop just installed the in/out transponders and are working on a glitch with the IFD550.  When I get my plane back I will have to look at how all the wireless/bluetooth connections are made.  

Using foreflight for at home flight planning and then pushing the FP to the 550/IFD100 will be nice.  

Is there a "map" that explains the connectivity between the IFD550 / AXP322/ Skytrax 100 / IFD100 / Foreflight / Avidyne keyboard?

I'm assuming I will no longer need my Stratus 2 as well.

Brent
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:23pm
No single map that I'm aware of.

The keyboard is by its lonesome, connects by BT. Doesn't interact otherwise.

Other portable devices on WiFi are another leg, like an android or iOS tablet, running various apps.

The IFD100 is on your tablet, and uses WiFi, but it is actually on the IFD system bus, that just happens to be routed on the WiFi connection. Very clever.

Skytrax feeds data by RS232 & ARC429 to the IFD. The IFD can then serve that same data to the IFD100 on the WiFi carried system bus. The IFD can also send FIS/TIS data, and other data and send/receive flight plans on the generic WiFi link connected to tablet software. The tablet software has to take advantage of this, it has to handshake and use the data.

No, you won't need your Stratus. You would connect your tablet to the IFD550 wifi hot spot (vice the Stratus)

Does that help?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 12:24pm
arkvet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arkvet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 12:41pm
yes it does.  If I understand you correctly the take home points are this:

The BT keyboard is all by itself connected directly to IFD via BT

The IFD is the central wifi hub/hotspot that receives wired information from the transponders.

Both the IFD100 and foreflight would connect to the IFD-550 wifi hotspot for their integration.  FWIW I use separate ipads for those apps.  

I should be able to see weather and/or traffic on the IFD550/ IFD100 / Foreflight with this setup.  Ideally spreading that info out among the displays.  

I'm sure it will all make sense once I get it all finished and get to play with it.    
Brent

PA32-301
IFD550 / AXP322 / SkyTrax100 / Dual G5's / GFC 500 / JPI 830
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 3:13pm
Terrific!  We've been waiting for this....
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 4:01pm
Does the 2 way flight plan transfer work with the IFD Wifi set up as remote client while using the Stratus as the wifi hotspot?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Does the 2 way flight plan transfer work with the IFD Wifi set up as remote client while using the Stratus as the wifi hotspot?

Yes!

Just fiddled around in my plane today, with an iPad mini, FF 9.1, IFD540 10.2.

FF will talk to both an IFD & Stratux/etc. simultaneously, if you have the IFD in remote mode, and the Stratux acting as the hot spot.

So, FF will download flight plans, while also being able to show ADS-B data on the tablet at the same time. No need to toggle connections. It can get a GPS position from either the IFD or the Stratux, not sure which is preferred.

FF can also upload a flight plan to the IFD in this setting. Uploaded flight plans to to the FMS|Routes page, where you can activate it. It does not change the active flight plan, which of course is the sensible thing to do.

With the IFD acting as the hot spot, FF with upload/download flight plans, and get a GPS location from the IFD.

Incidentally FltPlan Go, also does the same.

So, everything just works!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 6:32pm
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 7:16pm
Works bidirectionally with Stratus 2  as router along with supporting IFD100

Verified it with my setup this afternoon.

Ed
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:22pm
In this configuration, is the ADSB data also visible on the IFD?
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:25pm
I have a skytrax100 for ADSB on my IFD540 so I always had  Wx and traffic.

I don't think there is any transfer of Wx or traffic with Foreflight but since I have both already,  i cannot say for sure
Ed
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by B2C2 B2C2 wrote:

No, the portable derived fis/tis cannot populate the IFD.

* Orest
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 8:45pm
Orest,

I see you have now gone the Apple route. Interesting. Couldn't stand the wait for Android support?

I suppose I'll be waiting forever for an Android version of the IFD100.
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:00pm
I have been trying this with no success. Could you please post a picture of your maintenance page setting in order to make this work? Would be much appreciated.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by ac11 ac11 wrote:

I see you have now gone the Apple route....

I really hated spending the money on what is essentially a single purpose device, it will sit in my flight bag. But with Foreflight (absolutely an Apple fanboy) serving Jepp plates (shortly), and Jepp getting out of the app business, and looking like we will not see the IFD100 on android any time soon ...

My wife just shakes her head disapprovingly, and I hang my head in shame. Oh well. If we see movement on the android front, I can always dump the iPad.

Have to say one thing, I couldn't believe how hot an IPad tablet gets, almost too hot to pick up sometimes if it is sitting in a bit of sun. It hasn't shut down on me yet, but that may be because I use it only intermittently. And what is the deal with no BACK key! Instead you get a variety of small soft keys, usually in the top left and a reach to get to, to serve the same function. Really a half-baked notice bar too. And no "desktop" or widgets, really just an app drawer as the interface. In my view, Apple really has some design failings. 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 10:01pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 10:41pm
Orest,
Would you describe in a bit more detail how the IFD can be connected via Wifi to both an IPad (Foreflight) and to a Stratus.  Up until now I have been using ONLY the IFD as the position source but there have been times in flight my MLB 100 traffic has failed and I wanted to then connect to the Stratus.  It seems I have to go to the WiFi settings in my IPad and toggle back to the Stratus instead of the IFD.  It sounds like you are saying there is a way to be connected to both at the same time.
BTW, I have 2 IFD 540s.  My top box gets XM weather and the bottom box gets ADS-B weather via the MLB100.  Thanks for the help.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 11:09pm
Yes, you have to use the new in 10.2 "remote" WiFi mode for the IFD. The new setup page is in the maintenance pages, and it is described in the install manual. Pretty straightfoward, really just like setting up a laptop to connect to a hot spot, you input the SSID, the password (usually blank) and set the IFD to remote mode.

So the Stratus will be the hot spot (instead of the IFD). The IFD will connect to the Stratus hot spot, and your tablet will connect to the Stratus hot spot as well. That establishes a network that links all three. The topology (who is the hot spot and who the clients) makes no difference to what information can be shared, it is just a conduit. Make sense?

FF 9.1, using that conduit, will then connect to both. You don't need to do anything else. The connection to the IFD may take a little longer, and usually appears second.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 May 2017 at 11:10pm
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:14am
Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

I don't think there is any transfer of Wx or traffic with Foreflight but since I have both already,  i cannot say for sure

As of Foreflight 9.1, the app doesn't display wx or traffic from the IFD. I believe FF are planning this for a future release (since they already support wx, traffic, TFRs, and AIR/SIGMETs from the Lynx NGT9000).
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:16am

Orest,

Welcome to the dark side.  I promise, everything is going to be OK......

Edited by tony - 01 Jun 2017 at 9:16am
Phidoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phidoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:29am
When using a Stratus wifi and the IFD wifi in remote, does the IFD show up as a connected device in ForeFlight?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Phidoug Phidoug wrote:

When using a Stratus wifi and the IFD wifi in remote, does the IFD show up as a connected device in ForeFlight?

Yes, absolutely. It seems to take a little longer to handshake, but it will appear.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Jun 2017 at 9:44am
bradthepilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 3:10pm

Originally posted by B2C2 B2C2 wrote:

No, the portable derived fis/tis cannot populate the IFD. 

It can be, if the manufacturer of the aircraft approves.   And in my case, I do :-)

FIS-B info via custom stratux code as displayed on the IFD540.

Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 3:44pm
makes me want to go experimental...
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Originally posted by edanford edanford wrote:

As of Foreflight 9.1, the app doesn't display wx or traffic from the IFD. I believe FF are planning this for a future release (since they already support wx, traffic, TFRs, and AIR/SIGMETs from the Lynx NGT9000).

The same is true of FlyQ.  FlyQ has bidirectional flight plans but no wx or traffic.

They have plans to support all data streams from the IFD and are working in that direction.  They are waiting  Avidyne to provide them something so that they can finish the coding on their side.

I would bet FF is waiting for the same thing.

David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Orest,

Welcome to the dark side.  I promise, everything is going to be OK......

Hang on ..  Orest is using Foreflight?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2017 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Hang on ..  Orest is using Foreflight?

Nothing wrong with FF, nice program if pricey, just don't like the hardware. Explained my reasoning upthread. The mini iPad is an (expensive) single purpose device that lives in my flightbag, kind of kludgy interface, not multitasking, tends to really heat up, but it will run FF/Jepp and the IFD100.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 Jun 2017 at 9:24pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 12:16am
I am so proud of you!

Last weekend I found out that my oldest brother traded in his Android for a iPhone and now a few days later I find out that you got an iPad. I am starting to choke up a little  . . .
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:24am
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

I am so proud of you!

Last weekend I found out that my oldest brother traded in his Android for a iPhone and now a few days later I find out that you got an iPad. I am starting to choke up a little  . . .

Before you get too choked up ...

Actually this experience has reinforced my conviction that for me, android is the way to go for general use tablets & phones. I find the iThingy hardware dodgy, and the UI constraining and awkward.

No way in the world am I moving to iOS, just forced to use the iPad for this one application. I suppose it is mainly a testament to the "coolness" of the IFD100 app.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Jun 2017 at 10:46am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:41am
That makes sense but on my flights when I don't have the Stratus with me, will my IPad continue to get info from the IFD or is this is situation where I must have the Stratus present if that is setup as my hotspot? Ideally, I'd like all 3 to communicate but when the Stratus isn't with me, I'd like the IFD/IPad to work as it does now.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

That makes sense but on my flights when I don't have the Stratus with me, will my IPad continue to get info from the IFD or is this is situation where I must have the Stratus present if that is setup as my hotspot? Ideally, I'd like all 3 to communicate but when the Stratus isn't with me, I'd like the IFD/IPad to work as it does now.

You have to have something providing a hot spot, else the IFD & tablet can't communicate. If you had a fourth device providing a hot spot, that would work for the IFD & tablet, but NOT the Stratus, as it always insists on being the hot spot, it has no local (client) mode.

So, you can't support both setups without flipping the IFD back and forth. But to do that, all you need to do is go into the maintenance pages (CONFIG page 13), and change the WiFi mode between REMOTE (server), and LOCAL (client). Easy Peasy. You do not need to re-enter the credentials, they stay  remembered.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 02 Jun 2017 at 10:55am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:10am
Thanks. Last question. :).   I have 2 IFDs. Can I have one set to REMOTE and the other to LOCAL so the bottom box only uses the Stratus? I'm wondering if that works, how the setup would react when I don't have the Stratus with me. As far as crossfill info goes.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:50am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Thanks. Last question. :).   I have 2 IFDs. Can I have one set to REMOTE and the other to LOCAL so the bottom box only uses the Stratus? I'm wondering if that works, how the setup would react when I don't have the Stratus with me. As far as crossfill info goes.

That would create two separate networks, one a client one that would have the Stratus (server) and one IFD on it, the other a solitary IFD as the server. I don't know if that would create any confusion in the firmware. There may at the least be some signal interference with two closely placed servers, depending on how clever they are in choosing a channel.

When the Stratus is not in the plane, you could only hook up to the IFD hot spot network. But, with the Stratus in the plane, you would have to be sure to hook up to the Stratus, so you can access both the Stratus & IFD.

If the firmware didn't barf, that might work, but I'd call Tech Support about it.

And personally, I think it would be better left, and far cleaner, as only ONE IFD active on WiFi, and just flip it between REMOTE/LOCAL when needed.

* Orest

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2017 at 11:59am
Thank you. All great points. I'll give that a try.
centerforcekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centerforcekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 2:12pm
Hello, what do you mean by "if you have the IFD in remote mode", ?
I didn't see that setting anywhere...
thanks!
Pat.
Seneca II
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 3:10pm
IFD440 pilot guide, wifi ops, pg 1-38.
centerforcekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centerforcekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2017 at 5:52pm
thank you, I should have looked first.
thank you , please have a great weekend.
Pat.
Seneca II
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 4:00pm

FF will talk to both an IFD & Stratux/etc. simultaneously, if you have the IFD in remote mode, and the Stratux acting as the hot spot.

So, FF will download flight plans, while also being able to show ADS-B data on the tablet at the same time. No need to toggle connections. It can get a GPS position from either the IFD or the Stratux, not sure which is preferred.

FF can also upload a flight plan to the IFD in this setting. Uploaded flight plans to to the FMS|Routes page, where you can activate it. It does not change the active flight plan, which of course is the sensible thing to do.

With the IFD acting as the hot spot, FF with upload/download flight plans, and get a GPS location from the IFD.

I flew in a friend's plane and tried this over the weekend but could not get flight plans to transfer in any direction.  The IFD was in remote mode and apparently connected to the Stratus (I could not find any way to confirm this).  The iOS device was connected to the Stratus as well, but I see now that ForeFlight has released their Pilot Guide saying that the iOS device should be on the IFD's WiFi network, not the Stratus (which I assumed would be a hub, apparently incorrectly).

So, if I understand correctly, we should have the Stratus as WiFi host for the IFD as a client (first network), and the IFD in remote mode as WiFi host for Foreflight (second network),  passing through the Stratus information.  Though I wonder if the first network is available in remote mode.  Can someone confirm this operation with a Stratus and Foreflight, with two-way flight plan transfer and Stratus ADS-B information on the iPad?

If so, presumably IFD100 would work as well in the same configuration.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 4:33pm
No, that is incorrect. The IFD can ONLY be in remote, or local mode, not both.

You can confirm that the IFD is connected on the Stratus network by using an app like FING, available for android & iOS. This is critical, if that doesn't happen, it won't work. I had a typo in the SSID, and was going around in circles for a while before I noticed it.

FF will show what it is connected to on the devices pages, and it does that automatically. I have had instances where it just wouldn't work, but I rebooted the tablet, and then it worked.

Read through my post again. I works for me, it should work for you too. 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Jun 2017 at 4:41pm
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2017 at 8:54am
Thanks Orest.  I was puzzled by the conflict between your instructions (Stratus as hub) and the Foreflight Pilot Guide (linking the iPad WiFi to Avidyne).  Hopefully my plane will be out of annual soon so I can try it again.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Catani Catani wrote:

IFD440 pilot guide, wifi ops, pg 1-38.

Is there a reference how where in maintenance you go and how to setup this remote network?

When I went to the WiFi section on page 1-38 it referred me to:
http://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd540/wifi devices.asp

This is no longer a current link it seems and I wasn't able to find the info in the installation manual.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 9:41am
It is in the install manual, which is downloadable. Sorry don't have a page reference.

But, really, all you have to do is go the correct page in the system maintenance pages, and twiddle the settings. I show that page in this thread I think, up thread.

* Orest

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 12:02pm
Page 122 of IFD440 10.2  installation manual

7.5.14.1.2 Configuring the IFD as a Client to an External WAP
In some cases, an aircraft may have an existing WAP in use. For example, some aircraft may be accustomed to connecting 3rd party iPad applications to a Stratus ADS-B receiver. These pilots will likely wish to also have access to the IFD from their iPads. In order to achieve this configuration, the IFD must be configured to connect to the Stratus receiver. This will allow tablet devices to access data from both the Stratus and the IFD simultaneously. To configure the Wifi Mode
1. Boot the IFD to Maintenance mode.
2. Select the "Config" tab.
3. Turn the right knob until the "Wifi Configuration" Page is displayed as shown in the image below. 
4. If the "Wifi Mode" value is not set to "Remote", press the lower right know and use the outer knob to select the mode value.
a. Once selected, use the inner knob to change the value to "Remote"
b. Press the knob again to exit edit mode.

Designate the Network to Connect To:
3. Turn the right knob until the "Wifi Configuration" Page is displayed as shown in the image below. 
4. Press the lower right knob
5. Using the outer right knob, advance the selection rectangle until the Remote SSID field is selected as shown: Figure 31 WiFi Configuration Page
6. Press the right knob
7. The inner knob can now be used to advance through the available characters. The outer knob will advance to the next character in the name. Set this field to the name of the remote network to which you wish to attach. This will be provided by the device that supplies the network.

To configure the network password (PSK) NOTE: This value will be supplied by the device with which you are attempting to connect.
3. Turn the right knob until the "Wifi Configuration" Page is displayed as shown in the image below. Figure 32 WiFi Configuration Page
4. Press the lower right knob
5. Using the outer right knob, advance the selection rectangle until the Remote PSK field is selected as shown: Figure 33 WiFi Configuration Page
IFD5XX/4XX Installation Manual
600-00299-000 Page 125 of 239 Revision: 10
6. Press the right knob
7. The inner knob can now be used to advance through the available characters. The outer knob will advance to the next character in the PSK.
NOTE: One of the possible character selections is a space character. Spaces at the end of the PSK will not be contained in the final PSK. In other words, "PASSWORD<SP><SP>" will present a network PSK of "PASSWORD". NOTE: Non empty PSKs must contain at least 8 characters. If there are fewer than 8 characters, the system will fill missing characters with a '?' character. NOTE: Empty PSKs are allowed though not recommended.

JimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 12:13pm
Brad,

Can you explain (in enough detail) how to get weather and traffic from portable ADS-B device onto the IFD? 
210 Driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 1:44am
Problem with Foreflight Map...
So I just got my 10.2 upgrade last week, and hooked up the IFD100 App before taking off (very cool Avidyne BTW!) Took off, and during the climb through the Rockies opened Foreflight (current version) on the same iPad. It opened fine but as soon as I touched the map tab the program crashed! 1st time ever that I recall... I hadn't tried sending a flight plan to the IFD540, but I did click "Allow" on startup. I closed Foreflight, and shut off the iPad, restarted it, and the exact same thing happened. The IFD100 App performed well. Has this happened to anyone else?

Rob
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 10:32am
I'm new to FF, but have seen it a little unstable a few times. I don't see the consistent crash you are seeing.

There was a 9.1.1 mini-update to FF, be sure you have that.

* Orest

210 Driver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 210 Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 11:46am
I was in the same boat Orest, bought an iPad a couple years ago just for ForeFlight. It has been very solid in the cockpit for years. You can keep all your manuals in ForeFlight documents which is handy.
I touched base with ForeFlight, and it looks like they have another new update as below:

Kyle here - sorry that you're having issues. We did just release version 9.1.3 that has some bug fixes. Update your iPad to that version and see if the problem persists.

If so, please let us know and we can continue troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Kyle Eakins
Pilot Support Team
team@foreflight.com
www.foreflight.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic