Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 540 Install Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrywin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 540 Install Issues
    Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:09pm
I recently installed an Avidyne 540 in place of my trusty Garmin 530W.  I made the first flight the other day, and I was overall impressed with the 540, but there was some weird happenings during the flight that I need to resolve.

Keep in mind, all I did was remove the 530 and install the 540.  My installer and I carefully copied the 530 settings into the 540, and everything seemed fine on the ground check.

The first thing that happened while taxiing out to the runway, was that the 540 displayed an "Integrity Error", but that yellow box disappeared and I never saw that again.  The next thing was that my G500 displayed a big red X on the PFD and said Attitude Failure. I've never seen that before.  

In the run-up area, I cycled avionics power and the RED X went away.

During the flight, I was able to navigate with the 540, and setup an approach, etc.  That went pretty well, except it was a little bit bumpy and my fingers were moving around on the screen.

The next thing that happened is that I got a Datalink failure message on the 540.  I was seeing traffic on the screen, so I assume it was something to do with the GDL-69A XM datalink.

After landing, as I was taxiing back to my hanger, the G500 Attitude Failure RED X reappeared on and off a couple of times.

I guess overall, I was a little disappointed since before switching out the 530, everything worked perfectly.  I was hoping for a true "Plug and Play" experience, but the 540 has so much capability as compared with the 530. I am hopeful that these minor issues can be resolved easily.

Yesterday, I did some ground testing to see if I could nail down what is going on both with the 540 and the G500 Attitude failure.

The first thing that I checked was the GPS signal strength screen, and that seems to be good, however, the GPS indicator in the upper right hand corner of the 540 screen is Yellow.  In reading the 540 documentation, isn't that supposed to be Green indicating a GPS Lock? I only saw green for a few moments.

The next thing I did was check the status of the G500 LRU's and they all showed Green.  I taxied the aircraft to the fuel farm for fuel and while doing that, I once again got the RED X Attitude Failure on the G500, but the LRU's were all green.  Is it possible that the Attitude Failure has something to do with the installation of the 540 GPS? All we did was remove the 530 and install the 540.  I have never had an Attitude failure before. 

While doing the ground test, I did not see a Datalink Failure message, however I was not able to see the XM weather products.  

After some additional reading, I have discovered that there is a Datalink Status page and I am going to do another ground test and check the status of the XM datalink on this page, however I have also discovered that my GDL-69A software version is 3.20.  The Avidyne Documentation says that I need GDL-69A version 4.01, but not the latest software which is 5.xx.  Will the XM datalink work with 3.20 on the 540?

The next issue is that I set the 540 to Track Up.  The Map screen is following the heading.  Is this something to do with the GPS not being locked?

I have the Garmin GTS-800 TAS.  During my test flight, I was receiving traffic, however, I did not see the Traffic thumbnail.  How is that set up?

Is there special settings for the GTS-800 or the GDL-69A other than the setting that we copied from the 530?

So, to sum up my questions:

(1) Should I be getting a "Green" indication on the GPS indicator?
(2) Is my Attitude Failure on the G500 some how related to the 540 GPS install?
(3) Why is the Track Up on the Map not working?
(4) Will my XM datalink work with GDL-69A version 3.20?
(5) How is the Traffic Thumbnail setup?
(6) Are there special installation settings for the GTS-800 or GDL-69A other than the settings copied from the 530?

I am new to the forum, so thanks in advance for any suggestions.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:35pm
Welcome to the forum, Jerry!

For 1), you won't get a green GPS indicator until you have an active PFL. Was that the case? Often, people enter a FPL but don't activate it. It will activate automatically on take-off, but I like to activate it manually as soon as I've finished entering it, just to see GPS turn green :-)

For 3), North Up / Track up is toggled with the Enter knob lower right. But Track or Heading is selected via the SETUP page in AUX. It is called Map Orientation and Heading-Up or Track-Up toggles. I suspect you need to change that.

Vince
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 12:50pm
That's quite a list, good on you for spotting them all on one flight.  Were you and your avionics tech unable to resolve any of those questions with Avidyne tech support over the phone? If you haven't done that, I'd suggest starting there.  

Here's just my own opinion, others here may have a different take or might know immediately exactly what your solutions are - I don't I'm sorry to say.  So for what it's worth, it's always going to be tricky to get a new box with advanced software to work with older, out-of-date and/or obsolete equipment that an older box was designed to work with, plug and play or not.  And getting anything Garmin currently has on the market now to work with any competitor's products will require defeating all the barriers Garmin has put up to prevent that success.  Avionics shops have the IFD install manual that lists what other manufacturer's products and versions of products it is compatible with, and hopefully such shops make their customers aware of any such issues before the commitment to install the IDF box is made.  Avidyne tech support is a good resource to use when any such issues arise.  Have your avionics tech give them a call if you haven't already.  I would expect every problem you have can be tracked down and fixed, provided you are willing to do some updating you might not have been told would be necessary.  In that sense, the IFD is plug and play compatible, but it's not a copy of the 530W entirely or none of us would buy it.  Come back here with any unresolved issues.  Good luck!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 2:51pm
(1) & (3) are solved (above).

(5)  You can place the traffic thumbnail anywhere you want, it is in the datablock setup page. 

(6) Don't think so.

(2) & (4)  I would not be a bit surprised if you have some backplane connectivity issues. Have your shop try pulling & reseating the IFD540 again. The Garmin trays can be a little wonky.

* Orest

jerrywin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerrywin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:11pm
To all,

Thanks for the reply's.  

Haven't spoken to Tech Support yet.  Just made the flight and it is a holiday weekend.  I did send in my email above.

I did solve 1 and 3.  Thanks for those suggestions.

Regarding the XM datalink.  I did verify that I am receiving the XM signal, but it isn't being decoded, so the answer is apparently, I will need to update to version 4.01 on the GLD-69A. My G500/530 was working just fine with 3.20, but I will talk with tech support.  Hopefully, version 4.01 is still available from Garmin since they are now up to 5.xx and the Avidyne doc says that version will not work.

Yes, we did have trouble with the Garmin 530 rack.  It took several tries  to get it seated.  Maybe it still isn't seated properly and that is causing the intermittent G500 Altitude Failure issue?

I agree, there is a lot to learn on the 540.

Thanks again for the help.

George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2017 at 5:21pm
I just replaced my 530 with an IFD540 about a month ago.  Had the same issue with the GLD69 software ver. 3.2, which does not work.  Had the software updated to ver. 4.02 and it works perfectly.  Checked it out on a rainy day last week and everything (text weather as well as graphics) worked perfectly.  The update was done on the bench so the GLD69 has to be removed (easy).  If you need a avionics shop to do it, let me know.
OliverBucher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 4:30am
Hello,
I have the same problems with my 540/440 and Garmin G500 combo.
Sometimes I have a red "X" in the artificial horizon while rolling or during the take-off. New Avidyne racks have been used to install the Avydines 540/440! The G500 says sometimes HDG Failure or Attitude Failure. My Garmin G500 has the software version 7.12.
The installer has already calibrated the G500 twice, nevertheless the failures are here and there again and again!
The 540/440 use new GA35 antennas, acc. the installation manual. The position on the roof is given by Diamond for the DA40-180.
I have over 35 ° inclination failures on both navigators (after approx. One full circle)! Avydine says the wings would shadow the GPS antennas - but is a GFK Tiefdecker !!! With the Garmin 530/430 this was never a problem!
Also, both navigators often display different times. Difference often up to 15 seconds, respectively it was indicated a completely wrong time. The 440 was then repaired. This lasted about 6-7 weeks. According to Avidyne nothing was found, however, according to the report of the supplements were exchanged. The time problem still exists (but now in the seconds range, and after a certain time the 440 has adapted to the 540). Genderell finds the position 540 faster than the 440.
I would be interested if this is a problem in Europe (curve flight) or my installation or a general problem. According to Avydine it is because of my Tiefdeckerkonfiguration and the antennas on the roof of the DA40.
PS: Also every WAAS DA40 with G1000 has the antennas exactly at this location. I have also retrofitted a Garmin TRX335, this has a single WAAS receiving unit with the same GA35 antenna. This has no reception problem on the turn!

Greetings Oliver Bucher
Oliver Bucher
Plane: DA40-180

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 4:36am
Wrong time, after the Repair! Difference about 15Sec!

Oliver Bucher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliverBucher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2017 at 4:45am
GPS Fix Lost
Oliver Bucher
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic