Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD100 10.2.3 Now Available

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD100 10.2.3 Now Available
    Posted: 09 May 2017 at 4:58pm
An update to the IFD100 (10.2.3) is now available in the Apple store. 

The update contains these fixes/enhancements:

-Fix VHF frequency being updated with persisted frequency on App start.
-Fix Heading dropping to track on 64bit iPads.
-Fix data sync problems when connecting to trainer App.
-Take User waypoints from IFD on every App start to avoid overwrite even if App has newer version.
-Disable iPad sleep mode when App is running.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
195pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 195pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 9:04pm
Thanks, Simpson!
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 11:52pm
Sweet !!!
Jim Patton
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:24am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Hey Simpson, do you know if the IFD100 version numbers will carry back to the IFD540 itself so they stay matched?  In other words, if a new IFD540 software was certified tomorrow, it would be 10.2.4 or would it be 10.2.1?

If they stay matched, then the IFD100 seems like a great way to field test and shake out software issues prior to certification.

David

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Hey Simpson, do you know if the IFD100 version numbers will carry back to the IFD540 itself so they stay matched?  In other words, if a new IFD540 software was certified tomorrow, it would be 10.2.4 or would it be 10.2.1?

If they stay matched, then the IFD100 seems like a great way to field test and shake out software issues prior to certification.

David

They will not match. The next release candidate is 10.2.1 for the panel IFDs.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 11:41am
Okay.  Thanks for the quick response.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 2:57pm

The update contains these fixes/enhancements:

-Fix VHF frequency being updated with persisted frequency on App start.
-Fix Heading dropping to track on 64bit iPads.
-Fix data sync problems when connecting to trainer App.
-Take User waypoints from IFD on every App start to avoid overwrite even if App has newer version.
-Disable iPad sleep mode when App is running.

We look forward to these updates like 'manna from heaven', but not so fast -

Just flew this AM with the new and improved updated IFD100 App, and to my great disappointment and frustration, all of my panel 540 and IFD100 inserted User Wpts upon synching immediately cleared all user waypoints from both panel 540 and new user Wpts from IFD100!!

What a terrible waist of my hours of re-placing all of my User Wtps (all Colorado Mtn-Passes and lots of local Arizona Wpts).  No issues with Frequency swaps, but this is again a terrible oversight from Avidyne...

My only conclusion is that no one at Avidyne is actually testing the "fixes" before release - unbelievable.

Maybe there is another explanation from Avidyne???

Tom W.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 4:58pm
Thanks for the feedback Tom. Of course, we never want to waste anyone's time and we do test everything before it goes out the door. I have raised this issue up to the person that handles the app to see where things might have gone awry. We are glad to hear that your frequency issue has been corrected.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 5:23pm
Sounds like 10.2.4 to me.  I haven't downloaded the IFD100 in the first place.  Happy to let others blaze the trail for me.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:34pm

Thanks for the feedback Tom. Of course, we never want to waste anyone's time and we do test everything before it goes out the door. I have raised this issue up to the person that handles the app to see where things might have gone awry. We are glad to hear that your frequency issue has been corrected.

More WiFi-iPad Synch Bugs!
Again manually replaced my User Wpts yesterday into 540, and flew this AM, without IFD100.  I was using FlyQ and had booted up my 540 with WiFi ON, so FlyQ "connected" and receiving Winds Aloft.

Bad News - Again, all User Waypoints Erased (short story, from both cross synched 540's)!

So, my advice, do not use any iPad App (IFD100, FF, FlyQ, FltPln.go) Synched with your 540 if you keep any user waypoints - until Avidyne issues a fix for this X40 WiFi Synch Bug, turn off the WiFi!!

Good news, I did make a ThumbDrive Save of my User Wpts, and waiting for Avidyne's "Green Light" blessing to RESTORE User Wpts back on to 540.  Do not want to "brick" my 540 with prior Avidyne warnings to avoid restore files on new v10.2 systems.

Help, AV Simpson.

Thanks.

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 12 May 2017 at 8:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Good news, I did make a ThumbDrive Save of my User Wpts, and waiting for Avidyne's "Green Light" blessing to RESTORE User Wpts back on to 540.  Do not want to "brick" my 540 with prior Avidyne warnings to avoid restore files on new v10.2 systems.

Tom,

After I did the 10.2 upgrade, I made a thumb drive backup of all of the files.

Is your Waypoints backup from before the 10.2 upgrade?  If so then I think it is of no use to you anymore.

If your file is a backup made from version 10.2 then there is no need to wait for a green light from Avidyne.  You should be able to restore your data now from that file.

The only thing you can't do is "Restore" a 10.1.x (or earlier) file into a 10.2 (or later) unit.

I still have an archive with my saved files from 10.1 but I can't imagine when I would ever use them again.  I now have a full archive of the saved files that were created in the post-10.2 world.

David

Edited by DavidBunin - 13 May 2017 at 3:56pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

You should be able to restore your data now from that file.

The only thing you can't do is "Restore" a 10.1.x (or earlier) file into a 10.2 (or later) unit.

Yes, everything in my 540's and thumb drive "saved" files are now all in the post v10.2 world.  

However, given the history of "bricking" units during the 10.2 upgrade process, I merely posed the question to Avidyne Tech Support asking reassurance on this very question of restoring backups on to the 540.  They told me to "wait for the green light... from engineering..."

So, has anybody yet done such a restore?

Tom W.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 5:01pm
Is anyone aware of a way to get waypoints from an IFD540 running 10.1.3 over onto one running 10.2?

I have over 50 wpts on my IFD540, and am not looking forward to the prospect of having to re-enter them all one at a time by hand. There is no way to even print out a backup in readable format to allow doing this, so first step would need to be to go through the IFD540 and write down manually all the data for each wpt to allow re-entry.    :-(

If waypoints backed up onto usb from a 10.1.3 unit cannot be restored onto a 10.2 unit due to a data format incompatibility issue, then I would expect Avidyne to provide a tool to convert the backed up data to the new format that could then be restored, or at an absolute minimum to write the backup file data in a readable format.

Edited by chflyer - 13 May 2017 at 9:52pm
Vince
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:51am
I finally got into the cockpit and got current ( but not proficient) after a medical issue that left me out of the airplane for 10 months.  While I was down, I had the 10.2 update done and the SkyTrax 100 installed.  Flew ten approaches today and the SkyTrax 100 performed as advertised.  I was busy with approaches and didn't even think about the synthetic vision until now and don't even remember seeing the tab for it on the IFD.

I could not get the IFD100 to work on any of the three iPads we had in the airplane.  I was never able to get it to work at home between two iPads on the same wireless network either.

After getting home I realized that I did see the WiFi label light up on the IFD but I didn't check the wireless network that the iPads may have been connected to.  At one time I know that one or more was connected to the Stratus II.

I do know that the System ID on the IFD is 1 and that was set correctly on the IFD100 settings as well as the correct label of IFD540.  Did they move that setup in the iPad because I can't seem to find it anymore on any of my iPads?

What is the name of the wireless network on the IFD and is it password protected?

Is there any way to connect the IFD, Stratus, and the iPads to the same network?  I don't remember any provision for the Stratus to join another network instead of hosting it.
Woo Hoo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:11am
Went back through the manual and found this:

The WiFi system can be configured to work in "Local" mode where the IFD acts as a "server" or access point, or, "Remote" mode where the IFD acts as a "client" and can attach to a separate remote access point which allows the IFD to join other existing WiFi networks (e.g. connect to an existing Stratus-
ForeFlight network).

The factory default WiFi network ID (SSID) and password are “LIO_WIFI” and “abcdef1234”.

Has anyone actually tried connecting the IFD540 as a client to the Stratus network yet?
Woo Hoo!!!
rfriend View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 8:05am
Yes, I have been tried unsuccessfully several times with no joy. Talked with Foreflight techs and they have have not been successful either. I believe this is up to the 3rd party people and Avidyne to work out yet.

Hopefully Avidyne will help on this issue. Using Foreflight and being able to get Weather/ flightplan exchange/independant AHRS and charts on one iPad while running IFD100 on a second would be very nice. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Kentucky Captain Kentucky Captain wrote:

Went back through the manual and found this:

The WiFi system can be configured to work in "Local" mode where the IFD acts as a "server" or access point, or, "Remote" mode where the IFD acts as a "client" and can attach to a separate remote access point which allows the IFD to join other existing WiFi networks (e.g. connect to an existing Stratus-
ForeFlight network).

The factory default WiFi network ID (SSID) and password are “LIO_WIFI” and “abcdef1234”.

Has anyone actually tried connecting the IFD540 as a client to the Stratus network yet?

I have a Stratux, but the principle is the same.

I got the IFD100 running and talking to my IFD540, with the IFD540 set to run as a wifi client. Other apps can simultaneously  talk to the Stratux, for ADS-B and GPS location. Alternately FltPlan GO/iOS can be made to talk to the IFD540 in this configuration, but you have to switch it back & forth.

So, it is all possible, vis a vis the IFD540. The apps just need to be able to take advantage of it.

Steps are as follows ...

Configure the IFD540 for client mode, you must set your Stratux (or Stratus) wifi SSID and password (if any), all in the IFD540 maintenance pages.

Start up your Stratux/s and IFD540. Accept WiFi & BT connectivity on IFD540 bootup, as usual. The IFD540 will automatically log into the Stratux/s wifi network. Best to use an app like FING, to ensure the IFD540 is actually there, you can identify it by its appearance. Mine uses a Texas Instrument wifi chip, probably all of them do.

Done. It should just now work.

Note that apps that do not yet support two way flightplan transfer, like Foreflight, will NOT see the IFD540 to transfer plans up & down, or even down, in this configuration. They will only work with the IFD540 being the wifi provider. It is just a software thing, for the moment.

And Flightplan GO/iOS works, but Fltplan GO/android has not been updated yet, and won't work.

Hope that helps.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

I have a Stratux, but the principle is the same.

I got the IFD100 running and talking to my IFD540, with the IFD540 set to run as a wifi client. Other apps can simultaneously  talk to the Stratux, for ADS-B and GPS location. Alternately FltPlan GO/iOS can be made to talk to the IFD540 in this configuration, but you have to switch it back & forth.

So, it is all possible, vis a vis the IFD540. The apps just need to be able to take advantage of it.

Steps are as follows ...

Configure the IFD540 for client mode, you must set your Stratux (or Stratus) wifi SSID and password (if any), all in the IFD540 maintenance pages.

Start up your Stratux/s and IFD540. Accept WiFi & BT connectivity on IFD540 bootup, as usual. The IFD540 will automatically log into the Stratux/s wifi network. Best to use an app like FING, to ensure the IFD540 is actually there, you can identify it by its appearance. Mine uses a Texas Instrument wifi chip, probably all of them do.

Done. It should just now work.

Note that apps that do not yet support two way flightplan transfer, like Foreflight, will NOT see the IFD540 to transfer plans up & down, or even down, in this configuration. They will only work with the IFD540 being the wifi provider. It is just a software thing, for the moment.

And Flightplan GO/iOS works, but Fltplan GO/android has not been updated yet, and won't work.

Hope that helps.

* Orest

I did find that info last night but I'm not too happy with switching my IFD from being a router to being a client on the Stratus network. The IFD is a certified piece of equipment and the Stratus is not.

Also, my Stratus is mounted with velcro on the rear equipment shelf behind the baggage compartment.  The remote antennas are in the rear window.  If I lose the Stratus for any reason, my WiFi would be down until I can land, pull the back panel off, and reset the Stratus.

I was trying to follow the menu using the trainer on an iPad.  I'm assuming maintenance mode is not something you can duplicate there.  It leaves you at the point where you can update your Jepp data.
Woo Hoo!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:19pm

I did find that info last night but I'm not too happy with switching my IFD from being a router to being a client on the Stratus network. The IFD is a certified piece of equipment and the Stratus is not.

True, but the IFD is using the network to communicate (or accept communications) to/from uncertified products, in any case.  And, a network is a network. If you lose the Stratus/x and/or its wifi, you can just continue flying the plane.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:31pm

True, but the IFD is using the network to communicate (or accept communications) to/from uncertified products, in any case.  And, a network is a network. If you lose the Stratus/x and/or its wifi, you can just continue flying the plane.

* Orest

Too true, but if I have an issue with the IFD I could reset it because it's right there in front of me.  Resetting my Stratus would require landing, opening the baggage compartment, and removing the rear access panel.

On second thought, I would never pull the breaker on a working IFD in flight, especially while IFR, reqardless of whether I'm IMC or not.

During my instrument training, my instructor suggested that we turn of the Aspen for some partial panel training and I thought I was going to eject him from the plane right there.  Cover it up, Okay, turn it off,  no way.  We were IMC every day at that.

To be fair the the Stratus, I have had it for almost 3 years and I can't remember losing connection with it or having to reset it except when there is an update for it.   It always loses the setting where it turns on and off with aircraft power and has to be turned back on manually to access the settings.
Woo Hoo!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:40pm

During my instrument training, my instructor suggested that we turn of the Aspen for some partial panel training and I thought I was going to eject him from the plane right there.  Cover it up,

An easy way to "cover" the ASPEN, but to leave it running, is to turn the illumination right down to near zero, to night levels. You won't see anything on the screen then, in daylight.

When the partial panel is done, then just turn the illumination back to AUTO again.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:45pm

During my instrument training, my instructor suggested that we turn of the Aspen for some partial panel training and I thought I was going to eject him from the plane right there.  Cover it up,

An easy way to "cover" the ASPEN, but to leave it running, is to turn the illumination right down to near zero, to night levels. You won't see anything on the screen then, in daylight.

When the partial panel is done, then just turn the illumination back to AUTO again.

* Orest

Sure, that would have worked, if I had thought of it.  When we landed for lunch and fuel, there was a thin cardboard brochure that we absconded with and cut it to fit over the Aspen with a bend on the top to hold it in place.

Unfortunately the brochure was a Cirrus advertisement and when we cut it up and placed it on the panel,  I had to look at a Cirrus in three quarter profile right in my face for the rest of the day.
Woo Hoo!!!
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 3:11pm

...   I had to look at a Cirrus in three quarter profile right in my face for the rest of the day.

LOL.

* Orest

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:03pm
FYI - New IFD100 app update now available in App Store (6/16/2017).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:06pm
Correct. Here are some quick release notes:

Dual iPad Fix - Corrects a bug in dual IFD100s configurations.

SVS Night mode improvements - Enhancement for night ops.

Compatible with IFD R10.2.0.0 - Works with 10.2.0 IFD software

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2017 at 2:51pm
FYI, latest update for the IFD100 seems to have gone backwards a bit for me with respect to getting error annunciations on the iPad... I suddenly now get many more "heading lost", "datalink rcvr fault","com lost" faults/annunciations on the IFD100 now (nothings changed other than the new IFD100 update).  I did not see this in the previous version.

I am wondering: does the IFD100 use GDL90 packets to talk to the IFDs?  If so, the GDL90 spec calls for a special "byte stuffing" that, if not done correctly (must be exactly right in fact), can result in premature ending/beginning of GDL90 packets... I'm wondering if that's possibly what's going on with the IFD100... 

The byte stuffing mechanism has to be perfect in GDL90 if GDL90 is indeed being used.   Perhaps the de-sync is occurring because some data is being in placed in the GDL90 packets but are not being checked and potentially stuffed properly...

Secondly, I noticed that when the latest IFD100 app starts up, it sort of sets up a path that is different from what the IFDs have (i.e. I depart KHYI, then set Direct/Enter/Enter to point back to KHYI... THEN i bring up the IFD100 a bit later and it has effectively done the same... but from the current position... not from the IFD's last setting).  The IFD100 does not push its path to the IFD either on launch (a good thing I believe...).  Instead, I think the IFD100 should PULL the latest FMS data first.. and show that... on first launch.  Then, it will mirror exactly what the IFD's have. 

Lastly, it would be nice to have the option to "clear all annunciations"... they seem to "stack" and that stack gets quite deep (esp with the latest update...) ... so I have to spend time clearing them all instead of focusing on flying... it's quite a distraction.  

Doug
N208LG

Edited by ansond - 18 Jun 2017 at 3:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic