Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Update panel IFD databases from IFD100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Update panel IFD databases from IFD100
    Posted: 06 May 2017 at 12:42pm
The IFD 540 only stores one set of charts.  So I don't think there is any possibility of updating in flight.  Doing it on the ground is another story.  I suspect it would take a lot of work for Avidyne to implement because WiFi would have to be configured during the update and I doubt that it is now.

But it is an obvious thing to do.  Maybe Simpson will add it to the "wanted features" list.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by vuk3@me.com vuk3@me.com wrote:

the IFD100 could seamlessly update our Panel IFD Jepp databases in the background while we're enjoying our flight. Is this possible?

Andy,

I'm with you, right up to the last few words.

I don't know any piece of avionics that can absorb new software during flight.  That is a maintenance function (even when performed by a pilot) and typically only enabled on the ground.

I'm sure Avidyne is considering all kinds of interface possibilities, but I don't think that updating software (or databases) during flight is expected.

David Bunin
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by vuk3@me.com vuk3@me.com wrote:

Hi guys,
The IFD100 easily downloads the latest Jepp nav/map/chart/obstacle/terrain databases at home.
The IFD100 easily connects to our panel mounted IFD units and enjoy two way conversations with each other. So it stands to reason the IFD100 could seamlessly update our Panel IFD Jepp databases in the background while we're enjoying our flight. Is this possible? If not, then I vote this functionality is a candidate for 10.2.1.
Cheers
Andy.

Good suggestion!
David Gates
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 7:36pm
Hi guys,
The IFD100 easily downloads the latest Jepp nav/map/chart/obstacle/terrain databases at home.
The IFD100 easily connects to our panel mounted IFD units and enjoy two way conversations with each other. So it stands to reason the IFD100 could seamlessly update our Panel IFD Jepp databases in the background while we're enjoying our flight. Is this possible? If not, then I vote this functionality is a candidate for 10.2.1.
Cheers
Andy.

Edited by vuk3@me.com - 05 May 2017 at 7:42pm
VH-UAR YMMB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic