Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arrival Procedure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckGell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arrival Procedure?
    Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:07am
I have twice been assigned an arrival procedure beyond an initial fix and I do not see how to load this on the 10.2 software. The only options to load an arrival procedure seem to make you use the initial fix and then will not let you clear out the subsequent fix points that are in front of the fix that ATC has assigned. My only solution so far was to load manually all of the fixes beyond the direct fix that ATC assigned, which is beyond the intial fixes of the published procedure. Any suggestions?
Chuck Gell
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:40am
The IFD will not let you modify a published procedure. That means that you can't delete unused waypoints that are part of the procedure.

The only way that I know of to join an approach inside the initial approach fix is to load the entire approach and then go direct to the point you want. 

It's not pretty but it does the job. And it's easier than keying in all those waypoints.

Mike
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:41am
Load the arrival procedure, select one of the transitions that is most appropriate to your current location. 

If you are being vectored, when cleared to join the transition, select the waypoint that is at the end of the leg being intercepted and activate the leg.  That leg will turn magenta.  If you are using an autopilot using heading mode for the vectoring, arm HDG to NAV, then the autopilot will intercept the leg.

If you are cleared direct to one of the waypoint, then just go direct to that waypoint and it will sequence. The nice thing about the Avidyne is that it will show the active leg in magenta, and the next leg in white/magenta.

Once you activate a leg on an arrival procedure, some of the initial distant waypoints may disappear.

ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:00am
Just FYI, when I tried to "activate leg" on STAR, my Avidyne PFD and MFD both seem to loose the entire path... 

When I enter the STAR, all equipment sees the STAR path... and I can choose "direct <waypoint>" for any waypoint along the STAR... that's all good.

Its when I "activate leg" for one of the legs of the STAR that everything goes south - both the MFD and PFD loose the entire path (IFDs seem to retain it and "magenta" the appropriate leg). 

Doug
N208LG
SR20 G2
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:10am
That seems odd, the MFD/PFD should display what's on the IFD.
What Software revision do you have on the MFD/PFD. Did you contact Avidyne tech support. We fly a 2006 SR22 G2 and it seems to work fine on ours.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:32am
Originally posted by mfb mfb wrote:

The IFD will not let you modify a published procedure. That means that you can't delete unused waypoints that are part of the procedure.

The only way that I know of to join an approach inside the initial approach fix is to load the entire approach and then go direct to the point you want. 

It's not pretty but it does the job. And it's easier than keying in all those waypoints.

Mike

I totally agree with the above.

To expand on this method, if you have routing that intercepts an arrival inside the arrival transition fix, build the route to the arrival intercept fix as well as the destination airport, then select an appropriate arrival and transition that includes the arrival intercept fix.  You will see a route GAP created between the arrival intercept fix you programed as part of your route and the arrival transition fix because the last enroute waypoint (the arrival intercept fix in this example) does not correspond to the initial arrival transition fix. The IFD doesn't know how you want these linked so it creates a route GAP.

Leave the GAP alone...don't try to close it.

As you progress along your route, at some point the arrival intercept fix will become the IFD's active waypoint. While on this active leg (and presumably centered on course), select that same fix from below the GAP (in the arrival transition of your IFD FPL) and have the IFD go direct to that point. This will sequence the IFD to go direct to that same fix on the arrival transition and continue the arrival.

Along the same lines, if for some reason you are vectored prior to the arrival intercept, when you are cleared to that fix or any other fix on the arrival make sure to select that direct fix from the arrival transition of your IFD FPL.

Regards,
Darren

ChuckGell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckGell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:36am
Chuck Gell
ChuckGell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckGell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:37am
I will try the direct too method. It's funny that you never tink of this stuff until you need it!
Chuck Gell
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:40am
Originally posted by ansond ansond wrote:

Its when I "activate leg" for one of the legs of the STAR that everything goes south - both the MFD and PFD lose the entire path (IFDs seem to retain it and "magenta" the appropriate leg). 

Which waypoint is highlighted when you press the Activate leg button?

Before you activate a leg, you should put the cursor on the TO waypoint of the leg you want to activate. When you push the Activate button, that leg should turn magenta on the MAP page, which indicates that it's active.

If the IFDs are doing that, it seems like you're doing the right thing.

Mike
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 3:14pm
I think I am putting the cursor on the waypoint that terminates the leg I want to activate...

I believe that gives me the LSK key "activate leg" which I then press...

Once pressed, my MFD and PFD both seem to loose sync with what to do... 
- on the MFD, the entire route goes away... gone
- on the PFD, the targeted next waypoint goes away... (as if you only have an origin set on the FMS)

The IFD's properly show that the requested leg is set to magenta. 

Doug
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 3:16pm
I have 10.2 on both IFDs

My PFD is at 8.0.6 I believe (I have the DFC 90 AP so the PFD is running the latest stuff I believe...)

My MFD is 8.1.6 I think... not completely sure... but its also pretty much current (8.1)

Doug
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 12:15am
Quick update... so... on a whim, I completely removed and re-installed the IFD100 app on my iPad

Presto!  Everything seems to work perfectly now (almost...):
- rubberbanding now properly creates new temp waypoints that both the MFD and PFD "see"
- I can now intercept STARS via intermediate leg activations
- I no longer get all of the strange disconnect annunciations on the IFD (lost heading, etc...)
- My only remaining issue is that I still do not see any traffic on the IFD100... I see it perfectly on the IFDs and my MFD... works great there (I have my Skytrax connected to IFD2 via Serial, then IFD1 gets the traffic over the sync channel). 

Seems that, for some reason, my original install of the IFD100 app had its application database corrupted through some means... de-installing it removes it completely and a re-install re-installs a fresh database for the app... 

FYI.

Your mileage may vary.

Doug

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic