Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD100 Changed Active Frequency on 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD100 Changed Active Frequency on 540
    Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:00pm
Flying along to Kansas City the other day talking to KC Center when I decided to fire up the IFD100 on my iPad to play with it. After a few minutes I noticed that my IFD540 was now tuned to Memphis Center. I had last used the IFD100 on a trip home from Sun N Fun the week before and Memphis Center was the tuned ARTCC at that time. Somehow my IFD540 synched Comm Freqs from the IFD100 when pairing instead of the other way around. All map and FMS info was correct, but the Comms were not. 

Has anybody else experienced this? Maybe I touched something on the IFD100 to change the frequency, but I didn't think you could change the Active Frequency from the IFD100.

Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:11pm
Yes happened to me twice yesterday. First time was unexpected and I just happened to catch the change on the 540 out of the corner of my eye. If not, I could have flown along ignorant of the change for a long time. 
On my return trip it happened as well but this time I was expecting and programmed the frequencies to the #2 Comm before starting the IFD100.
Definitely would classify this as a 'critical' defect in my mind unless there is some way to turn this automatic sync off - if nothing else it should default from the 540 to the 100 not the other way around.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:13pm
Call Support at Avidyne and let them know!
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2017 at 5:20pm
I have sent an email to Avidyne Tech Support with the information.
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 11:29am
Happened to me too!  Not good.  I was taking off from Watsonville and turned on the IFD100 during runup.  As I entered the runway I wondered why the guy landing on the cross runway stopped talking, especially as I announced.  I could see him so I took off, but I probably really pissed him off by taking off on a cross runway without any radio calls. But when the guy took off behind me, all in silence, I looked down and some strange freq (some SFO ground freq) was in the 540.

I put it down to not knowing the IFD100 yet but I read later you are not supposed to be able to change the active frequency with it.  There is CTAF there so I didn't not change the active frequency myself as I took the runway.

So if you remember some A*hole taking off on a busy day from Watsonville without a radio, sorry.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by flybikeski flybikeski wrote:

I put it down to not knowing the IFD100 yet but I read later you are not supposed to be able to change the active frequency with it.  
Somehow I also had it in my head that you couldn't swap freqs from an IFD100.  I found this post from last year shortly after the IFD100 was announced that indicates Avidyne was still thinking about how to handle that, and it appears that they decided to change that behavior.

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Com freqs are a little different.  We don't have a Swap function on the IFD100.  We are debating adding one (there are real pros and cons to each position).   So in that case, you can use Freq List on the IFD100 to find a freq and push it into standby but you can't get it into Primary and then over to the panel mount IFD.  Note that with dual panel mount boxes, you don't share com freqs between the two IFDs either.</span>

I vote for the freq swap function.  I understand not swapping from the 100 to the 540 primary (although that option would be nice).

Yeah, we'll probably change to do both. Maybe initial release of IFD100, maybe a follow-on release.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 1:58pm
The IFD100 should not be tuning the active frequency.

In the cases reported, have you put the IFD100 into the background (either by navigating to another app or placing the iPad into the sleep mode)? If that is the case, you should NOT put the app into the background as it sounds like it is trying to sync the last known frequencies.

If you plan to navigate away from the app or are opening after it hasn't been running in the foreground in the case of the OP, ensure that you are fully closing the app (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330) before reconnecting it to the IFD network.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 4:00pm
iOS sure is clunky.

* Orest

LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

iOS sure is clunky.

* Orest

Congratulations Oskry! You went out and bought an iPad so you can enjoy the IFD100! 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

iOS sure is clunky.

* Orest

Congratulations Oskry! You went out and bought an iPad so you can enjoy the IFD100! 

That's a negative, just commenting on what was noted in the post above.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Apr 2017 at 6:25pm
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2017 at 10:56pm
Well, that brings up another issue I've been having with the IFD100. I have not found an option to prevent the iPad from going into sleep mode while using it. ForeFlight has that option. Shouldn't the IFD100 also have the ability to keep itself "alive".
Ron L
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 12:38am
Originally posted by ronl ronl wrote:

Well, that brings up another issue I've been having with the IFD100. I have not found an option to prevent the iPad from going into sleep mode while using it. ForeFlight has that option. Shouldn't the IFD100 also have the ability to keep itself "alive".

Under "Display and Brightness", AutoLock, you can select Never ... but yes it would be nice if it was built into the program like ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot.
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:36am
Ron L
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:09am
Is there an echo in here?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by LANCE LANCE wrote:

Is there an echo in here?

Gee, the forum sure is clunky.
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 3:37pm
The IFD100 should be robust enough, in my opinion, that you can switch apps without fully shutting it down.  That is kinda what is expected of modern apps...  

I accept that there might be an issue in the short term and this is a workaround, but this is not a minor issue.  I don't remember what I did with the iPad in Watsonville.  I also use WingX and may have brought that up.  But what happened to me, departing "without a radio" at a busy airport with two cross runways in use, could have been a serious situation. 

Maybe it was and I just couldn't hear the yelling on the radio.
vcollazo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vcollazo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 8:42pm
I had this happen to me today with an IFD 540. I was tuned to McGuire approach and turned on my IPad and opened up the IFD 100. About 10 minutes later co pilot noticed we were on a New York Center freq, and asked if I had changed over from McGuire approach, and I said no. I called center and asked if we should be on their freq and they said yes.  A minute later they called us and gave us a phone number to call McGuire approach after landing. When I phoned them, they said that they had been trying to contact us for over ten minutes on the approach frequency as well as on guard with no response. On the next leg I turned off the IFD 100 and then turned it on while watching the frequencies on the  540 and sure enough they changed to what had come up on the  IFD 100. The odd thing is that these were frequencies that I had not used on my previous flights, but they were the right center freqs for our location. I had not had this problem before I downloaded the recent update to the IFD 100 software. (the one allowing transfer of flight plans and allowing traffic to display.) 
vcollazo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic