Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD100 Mobile App
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD100 bugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD100 bugs
    Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:01pm
Thought I'd start a thread on bugs that I've stumbled into on the IFD100 (9.7" iPad Pro + iOS 10.3):
  • Rubberbanding course changes does not seem to work very well with the IFD100... you can rubberband a change... but the name of the new waypoint is not conveyed to the IFD's and the PFD does not see the new waypoint name either... (I have twin IFD0440s).
    • Furthermore, the new waypoint is far away from the waypoint that is created in the IFD100.. to the tune of 1000's of miles... so, I guess the waypoint record is getting munged somehow or is being interpreted incorrectly. 
  • I seem to get some alerts about issues with the traffic sensor (I have a SkyTrax100 running 4.1.0
    • the IFDs do not appear to have the issues and the traffic seems to be fine... 
  • Esp when I am on the ground and taxing around, the heading on the IFD100 can get off from the heading value in the IFDs (which are always identical to the MFD and PFD)... in flight I rarely see this but I suspect that perhaps my IFD100 instance is somehow using the heading information from the iPad?  Not sure why its off...
  • The IFD100 should disable the screensaver... there is a simple programmatic way to do that in iOS...
I am running the latest available version of the IFD100. 

Doug
N208LG
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:22pm
I agree with the screen saver disable issue.

I noticed that while testing IFD100 the other day.

Screen going blank after timeout is annoying
Ed
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 10:03pm
When I use the IFD 100, I just increase the auto lock time on the iPad to 15 min. Each time the screen is touched, it starts the timer again. Not a big deal.
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:49pm
There is a call you can make in xcode to simply disable the screen saver while the application is running in the foreground... its super simple... I can dig up the call if needed... its literally a 1-liner. I have it set in my own iOS app... works great. 
ansond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ansond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:51pm
FYI: it's literally a 1-liner (or two...)!

Just put it in the overridden callback within your top level view controller:

// this is called when the application is placed into the foreground

-(void)applicationWillEnterForeground:(UIApplication *)application {

// disable the timer that causes the iOS device to sleep

[[UIApplication sharedApplication] setIdleTimerDisabled:YES];

}

And, actually, you want to "undo" this when the IFD100 gets placed in the background:

// we must explicitly handle sending the application into the background

-(void)applicationDidEnterBackground:(UIApplication *)application {

// re-enable the timer that causes the iOS device to sleep

[[UIApplication sharedApplication] setIdleTimerDisabled:NO];

}

Doug

Edited by ansond - 15 Apr 2017 at 12:01am
Bill CFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill CFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:07pm
Both Avidyne IFD100 and IFD Trainer do not reflect the up date to Version 10.2.1
Both list Ver: 10.2.0.0  Are others seeing the same thing?

Bill Schwabenton CFI-I
Beechcraft BE33
Aspen 1000 IFD540 Century 2000
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2017 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Bill CFI Bill CFI wrote:

Both Avidyne IFD100 and IFD Trainer do not reflect the up date to Version 10.2.1
Both list Ver: 10.2.0.0  

There is no release IFD firmware version 10.2.1, the most up to date is 10.2.0.

* Orest

glasairnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glasairnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:53pm
Not quite right - the latest release as at 7th April 2017 was 10.2.0 Update 3_16

MarcosMarchese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcosMarchese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 10:31am
Last Flight I was using only the IFD540, in course direct to a user waypoint.
I decided to turn on my Ipad mini IOS 9.3.5 and start the IFD100 App, when it goes in, synchronized with my IFD540 it simply deleted ALL my user waypoints, including the one I was flying to, disengaging the auto-pilot etc. Fortunately I have a portable GPS with my user waypoints back-up, otherwise I couldn't proceed with my flight. This is definitely dangerous.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 11:02am
Originally posted by glasairnz glasairnz wrote:

Not quite right - the latest release as at 7th April 2017 was 10.2.0 Update 3_16

I wonder if the OP was talking about the IFD firmware, which is at 10.2.0 since earlier this year; or updates on the IFD100/simulator, which I understand was updated once (don't use it).

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 11:03am
Originally posted by MarcosMarchese MarcosMarchese wrote:

Last Flight I was using only the IFD540, in course direct to a user waypoint.
I decided to turn on my Ipad mini IOS 9.3.5 and start the IFD100 App, ...

Agreed, there is something not quite right with the startup/sync behavior of the latest IFD100 drop. Others have reported an uncommanded change of the primary frequency in some circumstances.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Apr 2017 at 11:04am
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2017 at 1:47pm
I have experienced both of these glitches recently with IFD100 upon synching with 540's WiFi:

1.  Waypoints and FP's briefly dissappeared, but I just waited, and re-synching occurred showing progress-% until complete.  Then OK.

2.  Frequency in 2nd Stby position on IFD100 switched same on the 540, but no ill effects on frequency actually being used. With the IFD100, I have 3-display screens, so I resolved the issue by only having 2 freq's on the #1 540 - Active and 1 standby.

3.  IFD100 still not able to control Winds Altitude, or display ADSB Wx products.

Tom W. 
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

I have experienced both of these glitches recently with IFD100 upon synching with 540's WiFi:

1.  Waypoints and FP's briefly dissappeared, but I just waited, and re-synching occurred showing progress-% until complete.  Then OK.

2.  Frequency in 2nd Stby position on IFD100 switched same on the 540, but no ill effects on frequency actually being used. With the IFD100, I have 3-display screens, so I resolved the issue by only having 2 freq's on the #1 540 - Active and 1 standby.

3.  IFD100 still not able to control Winds Altitude, or display ADSB Wx products.

Tom W. 
#1 - Today synched IFD100 to my 540's (hangar flying) and low and behold, all of my pre-entered (at home) IFD100 Wpts disappeared!

I manually entered a bunch of Wpts in the 540, and these seemed to remain permanently, despite synching.

So, the IFD100 glitch seems to be:
1. Routes entered from either 540 or IFD100 remain in both devices, synched.
2. Wpts entered from IFD100 are not retained in 540
3. Wpts entered from 540 are retained and synched across both devices.

Hopefully this will be addressed soon by Avidyne.

Tom W.

Edited by n7ifr - 06 May 2017 at 7:20pm
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:00pm
Had my first IFR cross-country since upgrading to 10.2.

I fired up the IFD-100 while in flight and received an uncommanded change to the ACTIVE frequency.  THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM.

I was tuned to Polk Approach at the time.  I was not landing at Polk, and did not have Polk Tower in either standby window.  But, I have concluded that starting the IFD-100 put the Polk Tower frequency in the active window - without any action from me, and without my knowledge.

I noticed the communications didn't sound quite right for an Approach Control.  I looked at the frequency and saw that it was identified as Polk Tower, and that it was NOT the last frequency I was on.  I quickly switched back to Approach, and checked in to make sure that they hadn't missed me.  

I was IFR, and this could have been a serious problem.  Luckily it was VMC, and I was in level cruise, but having the frequency change like that is ridiculous.

I said in a post about a year ago that I didn't see any reason for the IFD-100 to have any COMM functionality.  I specifically mentioned that possible problem that could occur if a passenger accidentally changed the active frequency.  What I didn't consider was that it might happen all by itself due to some glitch.  

Edited by pburger - 07 May 2017 at 11:01pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

I fired up the IFD-100 while in flight and received an uncommanded change to the ACTIVE frequency.  THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM. 

These squawk descriptions are helpful - Thank you for posting.
I thought I had noticed a frequency change on my 540 on booting up the IFD100, but could not confirm...

I will be watchful for this particularly nasty glitch (among many other minor ones)

Tom W.

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:37am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

These squawk descriptions are helpful - Thank you for posting.
I thought I had noticed a frequency change on my 540 on booting up the IFD100, but could not confirm...

I will be watchful for this particularly nasty glitch (among many other minor ones)

Tom W.

We've identified the issue with The update to the IFD100 is in final testing and will be available in the app store shortly after testing has concluded.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Bill CFI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill CFI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:52am
Placing odd numbered Loc Freqs into the IFD100 enters an incorrect Freq in both IFD100 and IFD Trainer!  The IFD 100 subtracts a tenth digit from the Freq.  Even ending Freqs work OK!

Bill Schwabenton CFI-I
Beechcraft BE33
Aspen 1000 IFD540 Century 2000
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Bill CFI Bill CFI wrote:

Placing odd numbered Loc Freqs into the IFD100 enters an incorrect Freq in both IFD100 and IFD Trainer!  The IFD 100 subtracts a tenth digit from the Freq.  Even ending Freqs work OK!

That's a very weird/unusual squawk...  The recent post above from Orest suggests a "fix" coming down the pike. 

Tom W.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic