Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-B Degraded

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-B Degraded
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 12:52am
Is anyone else seeing this or is it just me? After updating the IFD's to 10.2 and enabling ADS-B traffic from an MLB-100 (upgraded software to 4.1), traffic seems to be functioning normally but this message is always displayed:
Ron L
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 3:49am
From the 10.2 IFD540 Pilot Guide Map Section 3-47: ADS-B Degraded "Indicates the receiver has not yet acquired a good enough GPS lock to update its internal clock or there is a problem with the ADS-B receiver’s GPS position"
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 12:22pm
Simpson, 

With the 10.2 update, when selecting SkyTrax Trfc+Wx  in the RS232 configuration, de-selected traffic advisory in the ARINC 429 port, had the same alert ADS-B degraded, and "No traffic"and icon on the map page.

After selecting only Skytrax Wx in the RS232 Config, and Traffic Advisory in the ARINC 429 Port Configuration, everything seemed to work, got the weather (including TFR) and traffic to work, but the traffic was not showing track lines. The ADS-B Degraded alert does not seem to be related to the GPS lock or the ADS-B receiver's GPS position, as everything seemed to work with the settings change.

By the way,  The IFD was announcing aural "Traffic" alerts, not only a "bing", which is much better.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 1:54pm
Were you getting the aural traffic alerts on the ground also? I get traffic from the MLB 100 and was getting annoying multiple traffic alerts at a towered field from planes in the pattern. It seems the alerts should only come when airborne, maybe, based on groundspeed?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 3:23pm
OK, lots of us are seeing the "ADSB Degraded" yellow alert now, with good display depiction of Traffic with speed vectors, etc.

1.  Avidyne Tech Support has been aware (personal photo documentation) for some time now.
The UAT Traffic ICons with Speed vectors is very useful and cool to see, so I would not be willing to give this up just to avoid the Yellow Alert Message.

2.  The Aural alert saying "traffic" does seem to occur with all traffic, until the clear button is pushed.

3.  Despite my turning the Aural Alert Volume way down, on 540 startup each time, the volume preset seems to be Very Loud - How can we keep this set to a low volume??

Hoping for a timely fix from Avidyne to these problems.

Tom W.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 6:32pm
Below is the guidance for the Skytrax100/MLB100 software version 4.1.0 configuration prior to the release of IFD software version 10.2.0. Do any of these Skytrax100/MLB100 Inputs or Display values need to be configured different after the upgrade to IFD sw 10.2.0?

Specifically, does the Aviation Format GPS source automatically use the ADS-B Out+ protocol now supported by the both devices running the latest software? Is that necessary or even preferred?

Is the Display Port 1 (Avidyne, 38400) setting still correct?

If configured for input and output of SkyTrax Trfc+Wx via RS232, should the ARINC 429 still be activated or does that setting not matter since it will be turned off on the Main ARINC 429 Config page of the IFD configuration?

My aircraft was wired with and has been using both RS232 and ARINC 429 per the orginal MLB100 specifications; however, it reads as though the ARINC 429 is no longer recommended as everything is recommended to work through RS232. Still a couple of weeks from my 10.2.0 upgrade.

3.3 System Configuration

The MLB100 may need to be re-configured using the Avidyne UAT console (version 4.1.0) from the initialization tab:

Inputs Tab:
     • GPS: Aviation Format
     • Set the Altitude encoder and Baud rate information for the serial altitude source the MLB100
        is receiving

Display Tab:
     • Display Port 1: Avidyne, 38400
     • ARINC Port: High Speed traffic
     • FIS-B per second: 4 messages

Note: If your IFD440/540 is at SW Release 10.1.1 or greater, on the ARINC429 page please choose high speed MLB100 traffic when configuring for MLB100 traffic on the displays.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 9:19am
Most of my questions were answered by studying the Skytrax100 electrical interface diagram in the IFD540 installation manual updated for software version 10.2.0. The Skytrax100 system configuration should be as mentioned above.

My only remaining question is if there is any harm or benefit to turning off the ARINC port on the Skytrax100 if the IFD540 is configured to use RS232 for both traffic and weather as Avidyne recommends after the 10.2.0 install?
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

From the 10.2 IFD540 Pilot Guide Map Section 3-47: ADS-B Degraded "Indicates the receiver has not yet acquired a good enough GPS lock to update its internal clock or there is a problem with the ADS-B receiver’s GPS position"

Ok, thanks Simpson. My avionics tech used the RS232 connection and set MLB100's GPS position "in" to the "Aviation" configuration. Is this why I'm seeing this message? Do you know if the other input configuration choice (ADS-B+) is what's required to get rid of this message?
Ron L
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 9:42pm
I don't recall seeing the big yellow "ADSB Degraded" flag in flight, but I have seen instances where an individual target is identified as DGRD instead of presenting a tail number.  In fact, today I saw one that would toggle back and forth between the actual tail number and the DGRD identifier.

flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:25pm
I'm now on 10.2 and I'm seeing the yellow ADSB Degraded flag 100% of the time - but also with seemingly good traffic and weather.  Nice to have winds and TFRs now!  Direction and speed barbs on traffic is nice too.

Now that I get tail numbers (sometimes) I can see that it would be best to get aircraft type instead (e.g. C172).  The FAA has that info and could conceivably look that up before rebroadcasting position from ground station.  Oh well, way too late for that in the ADSB standard.
310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:15pm
Support didn't seem to know the answer so I thought I would throw it out here. Does anyone know what "HDG" means in the traffic thumbnail? I assume Heading but don't know how that is applicable to traffic display??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 11:26am
Maybe it's there to remind you that the traffic thumbnail is not a north-up presentation? Do you use your map display in north-up mode?
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 9:04pm
Any update on "ADSB Degraded" message?

I seem to be afflicted with same issue. 
Ed
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 10:18pm
It seems to have something to do with the time stamp on the ADS-B data which causes the box to think the data is degraded.   I'm waiting to hear the fix that Avidyne comes up with. It only appears in the traffic data block and does not impact any info.
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:52pm
The way it was explained to me... the ADS-B+ format does not contain the timestamp info in the data  stream so the IFD is unable to verify that the data isn't stale. Hence the degraded message. Additionally, the IFD sees the traffic in the serial data stream (differently than it saw via ARINC429?) and announces them repeatedly regardless of any setting or desire by the pilot to mute them. I've not changed settings to experience this but I understand some pilots have and are experiencing this annoyance. Upside is N-numbers, barbs, TFR's etc but there are downsides I'm told. Avidyne has some choices with 10.2.1 with regard to how they fix this, perhaps someone from Avidyne could explain it properly here so we could all weigh in?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:07am
Originally posted by 310pilot 310pilot wrote:

Does anyone know what "HDG" means in the traffic thumbnail?

For what it's worth, my airplane has a "TRK" indication where yours has "HDG".  My IFD is not connected to any heading system, so it only knows the GPS track.

David Bunin

310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 10:58am
Interesting... thanks for the info David.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 12:16pm
Mine also says TRK, but also says "TRK Degraded" for awhile upon takeoff.

BTW, I also had the "ADSB Degraded" tag and it may have been because the serial position data format from the IFD 540 was unchanged in the upgrade.  In fact there appears to be an error in the IFD installation manual as it still calls for "Aviation" format for the RS232 connection, whereas it appears to require ADSB + (G) on the IFD side and also a change on the MLB/Skytrack side (using the UAT console) although I forgot what it was labeled.  Anyway when that was changed the warning went away.

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 11:15am
When my airplane went through its avionics upgrade early last year and the IFD540 and MLB100 were installed, the MLB100 was using "Aviation" format GPS data from the IFD540. Two other devices (EDM-700 engine monitor and ACK-04 ELT) also use "Aviation" format GPS data and all currently share the same RS-232 output channel. Changing the MLB100 RS232 GPS output channel format to ADS-B+ (G) would cause the other two devices to not receive the correct data format.

In talking with Avidyne Tech Support, the permanent fix for me to get rid of the "ADSB Degraded" messgage is to separate the GPS data for the MLB100 from other two devices on a separate RS232 output channel. That would allow me to change the MLB100 GPS data format (on both the IFD540 and MLB100) to ADS-B+ (G) as Avidyne recommends. I believe my avionics installer wired out the other unused channels for future expansion, so hopefully this won't be too difficult to have changed.

BTW - Avidyne Tech Support was great and very responsive to my questions and explained the issue regarding the "Aviation" format not having a time stamp as mentioned earlier in this thread.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 12:42pm
Good info.  It may also be useful to note that previous to 10.2 only one RS232 channel could be "aviation" format, so that is one reason why your installer shared that port previously.  Now you can have multiple ports with the aviation format so there should be no need to share.

dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 1:05pm
Thanks for that info!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic