Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Easiest way to join Victor airway

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Easiest way to join Victor airway
    Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 6:24pm
I am having an IFD 540 installed in the next couple months and have been gearing up for it with using the iPad training app.  I was wondering what the easiest way to join a victor airway is while in flight, and while none of the waypoints on the airway are currently in your flight plan.  As a recent example, I obtained an IFR clearance, got vectors and was told to join V186.  This required to look at the IFR LOW chart, find the airway, note my relative position to the closest waypoint on the airway, find the next waypoint and enter those two and activate Leg (on my 430W).  Just looking for the easiest fastest way to do this on the 540.  Thanks in advance for any help!!!
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:53pm
Basically the same thing but after you enter the first waypoint (or any waypoint prior to that) just select the airway off of that waypoint.  At that point you can activate any leg on the airway you want.
Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 12:04am
Thanks.  I was just wondering if there was away to enter the victor airway without having to look at a low IFR chart and identify a waypoint and then enter that waypoint.  Would be handy to be able to just name the airway and have the closest leg of that airway be activated...
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 11:57am
It's easy to add an airway to a flight plan but you do need to know a little bit about it. Specifically, you need two endpoints, which can be intersections or VORs. The endpoints are like entrance ramps on the freeway; the first is your "on" waypoint, which is closest to the place where you want to get on the airway. The second is the "off' waypoint, where you want to get off.  Select an "on" waypoint that is behind you.

The general procedure to input the airway is:

1) Go to the FPL page.
2) Enter the "on" waypoint into the flight plan.
3) Add the airway.
4) Select the "off" waypoint.

Once you have done that, the airway will appear on the MAP page and on the Map tab of the FPL page. Look at it and figure out which leg (defined by two waypoints) that you are closest to. Then go to the FPL page, select that leg, and make it current leg. The IFD will intercept it.

Can you do this without looking at a chart? Probably not. You need a general sense of where the airway is and the waypoints that define it. Airways are shown in blue on the IFD's MAP page but they're not identified so you don't know which is which unless you're very familiar with the area.

Hope this helps.

Mike
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 5:54pm
Take a 45 degree cut at the airway...Keeps ATC happy!
Khuffine
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:28am
But an "intercept airway" feature would be nice for the circumstances Flying_Monkey described. 
A number of user interface issues to think through, but an interesting problem. Perhaps if the airway could simply be entered in lieu of a waypoint, and the IFD would presents nearby waypoints (and insert a gap if you already had a plan active.)

ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:15pm
Another option is to select the defining VOR for that airway segment and then use the OBS selector, either in VLOC mode or GPS mode.
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:18pm
Really need to know more about where you were going... Likely your flight plan had a destination that was off said airway?... when confronted with this senario what I do is look on the IFD for the airway (you can set them on of off in settings of the base map.  The controller is already vectoring you towards it... touch and drag the magenta line to intercept the airway and confirm your new course that lines up... easy...  once you intercept if you need to readjust your course on the airway you can easily select the vor or other navaid or location you are heading in the flight plan and hit direct to... This is one that causes stumbling in the flight plan and in flight for many... 
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by Apiaguy Apiaguy wrote:

.. touch and drag the magenta line to intercept the airway and confirm your new course that lines up... . 

Good idea. I like it!  Just make sure that you have the right airway.

Mike

Flying_Monkey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flying_Monkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 9:40am
Thanks for the replies. All very helpful. I do think that a join Victor airway feature would be nice. Basically, enter a Victor airway and the ifd will show the closest leg of it...Something like that.
Warrenwhis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warrenwhis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2017 at 7:42am
I  haven't tried this, but couldn't you find it on the map and rubber band it?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Warrenwhis Warrenwhis wrote:

I  haven't tried this, but couldn't you find it on the map and rubber band it?

That's pretty much what Apiaguy suggested.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic