Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 100?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 100?
    Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:55am
Any intel on when this will drop?

Will it be placed on the App Store as "IFD 100" or some other label?

Will it require ANOTHER device license through Jepp, as the IFD Trainer did?
David Gates
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:08pm
Looks like it will be a week or so before it's released from Apple.

It will be called IFD100.

No, it is included in your Jepp subscription. If you do not have charts (you have a 440) installed, you can call Jepp and ask to add charts.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:20pm
I surely hope that the IFD Trainer and IFD100 don't need additional Jepp licences. If so, this is an issue.

A standard Jepp subscription includes 4 licences. I have two tablets with JeppFD, one of them for backup that I can't justify giving up without adding a paper subscription. Another licence is used for a PC that I use for flight planning and printing off the occasional document. So there is little left for additional licences if needed for Avidyne IFD apps.

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:31pm
BTW, I installed the IFD Trainer and when I provided my Jepp credentials it gave me a list of coverage files from which to select for download. However, the licence serial number was different than my normal one (started with AVD1-). The list of coverage files for selection was very different from my coverage and didn't include obstacles or charts. So on one hand, it may be that a different serial number is used for the Avidyne IFD Trainer and IFD100 apps, which wouldn't reduce the standard licence count. However, Jepp still seems to have issues with matching the coverage for this licence to the subscribed coverage.

I'll give them a call as suggested by Simpson.

Vince
gsxrpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsxrpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 12:41am
I loaded the IFD Trainer and linked it to my Jepp account, but as far as I know, it doesn't count against your 4 device license.
Paul
Mooney M20K 252
KHYI - San Marcos, TX
gsxrpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsxrpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 6:06pm
IFD100 is in the App store for download. 
Paul
Mooney M20K 252
KHYI - San Marcos, TX
skycobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skycobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:40pm
Downloaded the IFD100 earlier today....Wow, very impressive.   Everything is great except that my electronics charts don't show up in the Jepp interface.   Thus, no charts in the IFD100, everything else loads (Nav, Obstacles, & terrain) and shows the current cycle.  Tried calling Jepp, spent over an hour and got nowhere, they seem to want to point the finger at Avidyne.   Anyone else having this issue?    
Al
mgrimes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgrimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:03pm
I have the same issue - No charts are showing up in the Jepp download list. Navdata, Obstacle, and Terrain are there but no charts.
dmtidler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmtidler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:03pm
Same issue here.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 9:54am
Originally posted by skycobra skycobra wrote:

Downloaded the IFD100 earlier today....Wow, very impressive.   Everything is great except that my electronics charts don't show up in the Jepp interface.   Thus, no charts in the IFD100, everything else loads (Nav, Obstacles, & terrain) and shows the current cycle.  Tried calling Jepp, spent over an hour and got nowhere, they seem to want to point the finger at Avidyne.   Anyone else having this issue?    

I noticed this as well. The subscription bundle that I have from Jeppesen includes electronic charts for the IFD540, but does not include the JeppFD app on the iPad. I have been wondering whether it is necessary to have a subscription that includes JeppFD in order to get the charts on the IFD100. I did not call Jeppesen because I had the feeling that it was unlikely that the representative would be familiar enough with the IFD100 to answer the question, but I would be very interested in knowing what others may have found out.

I agree that the IFD100 is very impressive, but I will probably not use it much just because my only display of traffic and weather is via Foreflight on the iPad, and I will probably have Foreflight running 99% of the time. If I had one of the traffic/weather solutions that displays on the IFD540, I can see how the IFD100 makes a very powerful addition to the IFD540 at essentially zero cost. I think Avidyne is to be commended for developing the IFD100 and making it available to its customers.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
Mooneyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mooneyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:05am
When I tried do add the Jeppesen charts to the IFD100 and the IFD 540 trainer I get 'No seats available'...
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:36am
IFD100 charts and navdata seem to work just fine for me on the ground at least. I have not tried it in the air yet.
Ron L
skycobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skycobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 6:56pm
Update from Jepp.   I got an email from Jepp today stating that I would need to fork out an additional $272.60 in order to get electronic charts on my Ipad.   What gives....I was under the impression that if I had a full suite subscription for the IFD that all data could port over to the IFD100.

Maybe Simpson can chime in and give us the definitive word from Avidyne????
Al
ajborda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajborda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 8:41pm
Do you need the charts in the IFD100 if you have Foreflight?

Tony
Tony Borda
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:51pm
I got two iPads and was able to hook them up. One on trainor and other on IFD100. Very cool but tonight it would not hook up. Hummmmmm. Maybe turned it off?
Khuffine
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by skycobra skycobra wrote:

Update from Jepp.   I got an email from Jepp today stating that I would need to fork out an additional $272.60 in order to get electronic charts on my Ipad.   What gives....I was under the impression that if I had a full suite subscription for the IFD that all data could port over to the IFD100.

Maybe Simpson can chime in and give us the definitive word from Avidyne????

I have a Navdata subsciption only and when I installed the IFD100 app on my iPads, it let me download the current navdata, original obstructions and terrain to all three iPads.

Anyone know if we will have to update the navdata on the IFD100 when we do it for the IFD540?
Woo Hoo!!!
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 5:45pm
Maybe I dodged a bullet by only getting navdata from Jeppesen.  My logic was that terrain and obstacles change very, very slowly and when I'm IFR, which is where this counts, I'm always going to be above the MVA so those things aren't really important.  I have three iPads with Foreflight and that is where i get my charts from.  The IFD540 is in the center stack and not as easy to manipulate while shooting an approach.  My iPad however, is just to my left and easily accessible and approach plates are much easier to see and manipulate there.

With the advent of the IFD100, I am thinking of taking my third ipad, a mini that was replaced by an iPad Pro, and mount it just to the left of my Aspen display to run the IFD100.

Woo Hoo!!!
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2017 at 9:44pm
I can't find if this was previously answered but I used the IFD 100 and it seemed great but I was getting traffic sensor fault messages on the IFD 100 but not on my panel mount.  I did have traffic showing on the panel 540 but no traffic on the IFD 100.  What would cause this?
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:36pm
So, I have played with this in the air, once.  I still see no charts on my ifd100.  No way to DL them on the Jeppesen page, that I can see.  I just (at SnF) paid for a jepp subscription for "everything".  

I made the mistake of including the terrain update (2015) which took forever on my 540s.  Next time, just the Nav, charts, and Obstacles. 

How are y'all using the IFD100 with your 540, etc, and foreflight/garmin etc.   It connects via wifi, right?   I had it showing ship position on the map on the IFD100.   

So, I guess that I could connect foreflight to my old dual BT GPS, still.  Or to the 540 via BT?   I am thinking that I may buy another ipad.  One for IFD100 and one for foreflight. 

On another note, how do you handle the database overlaps in the 540?   Do I install the new ones, even tho they don't take effect for 6 days???    

Ken

FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 5:47pm
"On another note, how do you handle the database overlaps in the 540?  
  Do I install the new ones, even tho they don't take effect for 6 days???"

Avidyne says you can only have one database installed at a time so legally, if you plan to need the older one before the new one becomes effective, you have to wait and install the newer one until the switch-over date/time. 

Avidyne says this is a Jepp problem but all the higher-end FMSs allow you to load two and select the one you want to use.  ????
Jim Patton
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:06pm
Technically, you can ONLY use the older database until the new one become effective so in the present system, you should not install the new database until it become effective.

<<<Avidyne says you can only have one database installed at a time so legally, if you plan to need the older one before the new one becomes effective, you have to wait and install the newer one until the switch-over date/time.  >>>>
Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:17pm
Good Evening All,

This is from an old Low Frequency Range pilot who is very humbled by all you young folk's capabilities, but it seems to me that if we can load all that data from a little transfer chip, there certainly should be space to have that much extra storage inside the 540 box.  Even that very old fashioned B-767 that I flew back in 1982 was able to carry two sets of data at a time. We could choose the one needed. VERY nice arrangement!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob
Old Bob Siegfried View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Bob Siegfried Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 6:22pm
PS!!!
I note that I am listed as a newbie. I bought my 540 at the 2011 Oshkosh affair. Don't see why I am listed as a newbie. NG
Old Bob
George P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2017 at 8:39pm
I think it is determined by the number of times you have posted, not the duration of your IFD540 ownership.  Apparently if you make a frequent fool of yourself, your status gets upgraded.
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2017 at 12:56am
Originally posted by George P George P wrote:

I think it is determined by the number of times you have posted, not the duration of your IFD540 ownership.  Apparently if you make a frequent fool of yourself, your status gets upgraded.
So says a newbie.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:04am
Originally posted by George P George P wrote:

Apparently if you make a frequent fool of yourself, your status gets upgraded.

I can absolutely confirm that.  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic