Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > DFC90/DFC100 Digital Autopilot
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DFC90 & Turn Coordinator Required

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GridFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DFC90 & Turn Coordinator Required
    Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 7:47pm
So I now have the full suite of 3 Aspen Evolution panels, as well as a DFC90 in my Cirrus SR20.  The DFC90 uses the input from the Aspen's AHRS for its turn coordination sensing.  Well, it turns out that the old six-pack turn coordinator still needs to be hidden under the panel so the DFC90 can feel confident in itself even though it is using a much more accurate unit (AHRS) as the primary input.  A six-pack turn coordinator is sloppy by its inherent design function. 

Why, Avidyne Engineers, do you set us for yet another maintenance item ($$$$) because the DFC90 is not getting a warm and fuzzy between the AHRS sensing and old technology?! Unless the old six-pack TC is brand new out of the box, there will likely be AHRS MISCOMP error messages produced.

Any plans on getting rid of this requirement?
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2017 at 9:29pm
I believe it was part of the STC.  We just had our TC replaced (it was 11 years old).  The best place to get a replacement is Pacific Southwest instruments.
http://www.psilabs.com/
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:56am
What is the software level of your DFC90? We released a service bulletin (part number 601-00170-014) in May of 2014 that removed the requirement for TC. Your installer should have access to this service bulletin.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 10:21am
We had the installation done in October 2016.  I will have to check with the installer. I remember asking the installer to mount the Skytrax 100 in place of the TC, and he insisted the TC needs to stay as part of the installation.

GridFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GridFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 10:38am
Release 2 as the DFC90 does not disconnect.  However, it was the installers understanding that Cirrus aircraft still needed to TC compare.  Not true?
GridFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GridFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:28pm
Sure that is the correct and/or still active SB number?  I can't find it.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:31pm
Yes, still true. The SB is available through the installer/dealer.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm
This is the response I got from the installer:

"Funny, Avidyne tech reps did not know that. I got into a bit of a disagreement with them over why it was required when we did the installation."
"It may be that in 2014 they changed the way the failure affects the autopilot operation. In that you can continue to operate the autopilot, but the installation data still requires the TC to be there."

Still not clear from last response, is the TC required in any installation?

Thanks
Ibrahim
GridFlyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GridFlyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:14pm
Per this SB, if the Cirrus aircraft previous to the DFC90 was the STEC-55X, the TC is still required.  This SB only applied to aircraft that previous to the DFC90 had the STEC-30 and STEC-50 autopilots.
64BoMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64BoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 8:23pm
I am installing the DFC90 into an 64 S35 Bonanza that has an Aspen 1000PFD/MFD unit and an STEC 55 (not 55-X) AP. Is the TC still required in the panel?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic