Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Firmware update procedure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bradthepilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Firmware update procedure
    Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 10:12pm
I've recently installed an IFD540 in my RV and after reading the 10.2 update threads am looking forward to it's release.

One thing that isn't clear to me however is how the firmware is updated.   I understand it needs to be done by a dealer or an A&P.   As the builder of my RV, however, I applied for and received a repairman certificate which allows me to do anything to my RV that an A&P/IA could.    

How has Avidyne handled such situations in the past?
Brad Benson
RV-6A N164BL
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 11:31pm
I expect that they will give you access to the firmware update package. It is some files, that you copy to a USB key, and then scrupulously follow the directions so as not to brick your unit! In the past they have allowed access to these to end users, but I think that has been rejigged now.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Jan 2017 at 11:33pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 7:24am
In the past, software updates have been covered by Avidyne if done by an authorized dealer.  Has Avidyne announced if the 10.2 install will also be a covered expense?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 10:51am
Avidyne has announced that the base 10.2 is a free upgrade.  Some of the features enabled by 10.2 will be an additional charge.  The information is on this forum if you search for it, probably in the giant thread started last April announcing 10.2.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:20pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 8:21pm
hmmm - lots of questions & posts, without Avidyne answers or feedback.  Should we be even more concerned?
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:35am
No.  This thread was less than 24 hrs old when you posted.  Avidyne doesn't respond to every question posted on this forum, nor do they always respond immediately when they do respond.  Besides, I think the questions asked have already been answered elsewhere on the forum.
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:50am
Historically the 'major' 10.x updates have been more involved, having to take the device out of its rack, updating an SD card that goes into the side as well as loading updates from a USB stick. The Minor ones (10.1.x) have just been with a USB stick and therefor easier.

It took my installer about 90 minutes to upgrade to 10.1 and perhaps 15 to update to 10.1.3

Jorgen
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:03am
I've had excellent service with tech support. Just call them and they will walk you through your every question on the phone.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 7:28am
Rather than the update itself, I was referring to the actual installation of the update.  In the past, Avidyne covered the labor if done by an authorized dealer but I have not heard if the labor to install 10.2 will be a covered expense.

Edited by teeth6 - 12 Jan 2017 at 7:28am
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 7:37am
I'm not sure which update, but one previously required pulling an SD cardf from the unit and updating that and then reinstalling. I do know that their instruction sheets are very well written. There are 2 of these SD cards and you have to get the right one.
whiskykilo1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whiskykilo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 2:33am
There is no SD Card Slot on the IFDs. The Aspen Evolution Flight Dispaly has one.

For the last updates you needed a FAT32 8 GB USB Flash device.

The update was provided to authorized installation facilities, but there existed a downloadlink.
EASA registered Beech Bonanza F33A located in EDKB Hangelar/Germany, Aspen 1000 EFD, 2 x IFD540
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 7:45am
The SDs are in slots on the side of the box accessible behind a cover plate. The unit is updated on the bench. I think it was when it updated to 10.0.
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:09am
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

The SDs are in slots on the side of the box accessible behind a cover plate. The unit is updated on the bench. I think it was when it updated to 10.0.

That's when it was updated to 10.1
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 9:26am
Originally posted by bradthepilot bradthepilot wrote:

I've recently installed an IFD540 in my RV and after reading the 10.2 update threads am looking forward to it's release.

One thing that isn't clear to me however is how the firmware is updated.   I understand it needs to be done by a dealer or an A&P.   As the builder of my RV, however, I applied for and received a repairman certificate which allows me to do anything to my RV that an A&P/IA could.    

How has Avidyne handled such situations in the past?

We have many experimental customers that do their own updates. 

This update is completed via the USB port on the front (assuming you have 10.1 or later). Our tech support (techsupp(at)avidyne.com or 1-888-723-7592) team can direct you to all the necessary information you need to complete the update.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:15pm
I'm looking forward to my 2017 10.2 T shirt at the Oshkosh this year. It installs in typical fashion.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic