Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to default track/heading up at power-on?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to default track/heading up at power-on?
    Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 2:48pm
My 540 map orientation is always north up at power on. I would like it to power on in heading up or track up track up orientation, but have been unable to find how to make that happen. I am sure someone on the forum can enlighten me or point me to the manual section that indicates this.

I seem to recall that Simpson indicated on a post somewhere that the 540 remembers its state on power down and comes back up in the same state. Page 3-4 of the PG indicates that even though the map might be in track-up at shutdown, it will start up in north-up until a GPS fix is available, and then auto-switch back to track-up. This doesn't seem to be happening for me and I always need to toggle it even after entering and activating a flight plan with a green GPS indication.

Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

..... Page 3-4 of the PG indicates that even though the map might be in track-up at shutdown, it will start up in north-up until a GPS fix is available, and then auto-switch back to track-up. 

Same thing for me, I usually need to click the MAP knob to get to Track UP, even though I leave it in Track UP on shutdown, and wait for the GPS to get a fix first.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Dec 2016 at 9:50pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 9:00am
Both of mine default to my last view (track up on one and north up on the other) most of the time.  Occasionally my top one will boot up in North up.  This usually happens after the plane has sat for more than a few days.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

This usually happens after the plane has sat for more than a few days.

Interesting! :-) Makes one wonder what IFD memory type is involved here and what other config data is saved there... i.e. are other settings also "lost" or "revert to default" after a relatively short time frame (I consider a few days as certainly NOT long-term memory)?

Perhaps a PG update is in line here.

Good to know though that I'm not alone with the observation. Thanks to you both for the feedback.

Vince
Sonnyz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonnyz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 6:00am
Along these same lines, is there anyway for an approach chart to be set to track or heading up mode? I almost always have to push the lower right knob on both my 540 and 440 to set the maps to track up after start up but this does not work on a chart. 
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 7:17am
That is not possible.  At some point, Avidyne will make a release that will at least keep the aircraft centered on the approach chart instead of having to touch and move the chart to keep the aircraft in sight when the approach plate is zoomed in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic