Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ICAO code for APX340?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ICAO code for APX340?
    Posted: 23 Nov 2016 at 9:52am
What ICAO code is appropriate for the APX340? I do not (yet) have ADS-B IN (waiting for proposal from Avidyne and my dealer).
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 7:08pm
Could someone at Avidyne respond to this request?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:58pm
AXP340 is just an ES Mode S transponder. 

B1 -- ADS-B with dedicated 1090 MHz ADS-B “out” capability

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Feb 2017 at 10:07pm
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 11:21pm
You can find all the info here
https://techsupport.avidyne.com/portal/helpcenter/articles/ifd540-ifd440-icao-filing-codes

And if the AXP340 or AXP322 are thrown in, you pick up

Surveillance:

E – Mode S, including aircraft ID, pressure altitude, extended squitter

B1 – ADS-B with dedicated 1090 MHz ADS-B Out Capability

94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 2:02pm
I am still trying to get my head around all these ICAO codes, but I think there should also be "SUR/260B" in item 18, per AIM 5-1-9,8(g).  This indicates that the ES is 1090ES, which seems/is redundant to the B1 code.  The requirement for this code is further supported by the document in the attached screenshot.  See the second line of the table shown.  This document is titled "op_approval_guidance.pdf".  I don't recall for sure where I found it, but I think it was from the FAA's website.

Edited by 94S - 16 Feb 2017 at 2:03pm
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 11:51am
How about if you have an AXP430 and MLB100 that transmits at 978MHz?
Are you still a B1 or U1?
If you tell the controller you are /G do you also tell them you are /B1?
JWJ
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 12:30pm
MLB/Skytrax 100 does not transmit, it is ADS-B in receiver only. Only use the codes for the AXP340 for filing.
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 3:43pm
I inquired to the AOPA about the same question.  They contacted the FAA and got the following advice.  For a system that transmits 1090ES  only and received on 978 (UAT) only:

Quoted from he FAA advice)
1) File Code "B1" in IACO field 10b to indicate 1090 out, and include "SUR/260B" as indicated in AIM 5-1-9.
2) File code "U2" to indicate 978 (UAT) In.  Do NOT file 282B in SUR/ since you don't have 978 out.

Hope that helps, Jim
Jim Patton
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

1) File Code "B1" in IACO field 10b to indicate 1090 out, and include "SUR/260B"

Jim, thank you. I file using ForeFlight so I'm unsure about where to "include SUR/260B" -- is there a field I'm missing? 
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 7:44pm
I think you're going to have to call their support folks and ask how to do it.  I hope you don't get the kind of reply I got from one of the other flight plan intermediaries that told me, "We've filed more IACO flight plans than anyone and we know more about it than anyone so just check the boxes and we'll take care of it."  Obviously they couldn't "take care of it" because they didn't have the needed check boxes to corectly deliver the info they needed. (:<) 
Jim Patton
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 9:04pm
Please refer to the FAA official publication, U2 is for UAT out and in, there is no code for UAT in only

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/air_traffic_services/flight_plan_filing/media/FPL_Brochure_(change3).pdf

ADS-B 
B1 1090 MHz out capability, or B2 1090 MHz out and in capability 
U1 UAT out capability, or U2 UAT out and in capability 

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by TomH TomH wrote:

Originally posted by FlyingCOham FlyingCOham wrote:

1) File Code "B1" in IACO field 10b to indicate 1090 out, and include "SUR/260B"

Jim, thank you. I file using ForeFlight so I'm unsure about where to "include SUR/260B" -- is there a field I'm missing? 
Just below "ICAO PBN" line in FF's aircraft setup you will see "Other Information."  Select that, and there are many info types you can complete, if applicable, one of which is "SUR."  The same list also includes CODE for your ADS-B code, and NAV for your GPS (SBAS is the proper entry there).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic