Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Audio Alert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Audio Alert
    Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:40pm
The IFD540 appears to have two audio "alert type" outputs.  I currently have Audio 2 (P1001 pins 52,53) connected to an unswitched input on the Audio Panel as shown in the IM Fig. D-24:TAWS Interconnect and it certainly has TAWS as well as chimes prompting action at various points in an approach.  But there is also Audio 1 (Alert audio) (P1001 pins 37,38).  I do not see any reference to it in any of the Electrical Interface Drawings in the IM.  Is that audio output used for anything now or will it be in the future?  Any reason to connect Audio 1 to another unswitched audio input on the Audio Panel?  Where will the traffic alert audio show up with the AXP340/MLB100 package installed and the 10.2.0.0 software?
dkit
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 3:35pm
I think the difference is in the electrical characteristics of the output, rather than the "content".

But, good questions.

* Orest

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 7:29am
Orest is correct.  The audio content is the same, the output impedance is different.  For my installation, I consulted with both Avidyne and PS Engineering, and based on their guidance I hooked it up the same way you did.  Audio 2 from pins 52/53.  I am quite happy with the results.

In theory, the Audio 2 signal should produce either a more clear sound, or a more controllable volume.  The Audio 1 signal was designed to be no better than (no different from) the brand-G signals that were using those pins.

So it stands to reason that the Avidyne version would be newer/better, but of course I never tried it the other way (mine was a from-nothing IFD installation).  All I can say is that I'm happy with Alert 2 audio.
dkit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 12:35pm
Thanks, Orest and David B.

dkit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic