Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-B Compatability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-B Compatability
    Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 12:35pm
Can y'all (Avidyne) post a list of non-proprietary ADS-B devices known to be compatible with the IFD series please?

EDIT: Would you please.....?

Thank you.

Edited by ddgates - 10 Aug 2016 at 12:53pm
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 4:40pm
Bump.
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 8:55am
I'm sure as time permits they'll update their website

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd/compatible-interfaces.html

Edited by LANCE - 13 Aug 2016 at 7:34pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 9:12am
Lance:

They have no ADS-B boxes on that list.

Again, I ask the question of Avidyne to facilitate decision making, "Please post a list of ADS-B boxes known to work with the IFD series".

Edited by ddgates - 13 Aug 2016 at 10:01am
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 1:24pm
The following list is true as of Release 10.2:

MLB100 ADS-B Weather and Traffic

SkyTrax 100 ADS-B Weather and Traffic

GTX345 ADS-B Weather and Traffic

GDL88 ADS-B Weather and Traffic

GTX330ES ADS-B Traffic
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 1:25pm
Thank you, sir.
David Gates
310pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 7:41am
What about Freeflight RANGR??
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 7:49am
We couldn't get it to work during our 10.2 development phase so we had to drop it from this release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
310pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 7:53am
You have got to be kidding me!! I got the Freeflight because Avidyne was saying it would work , prewired and reprewired (when they did it wrong)....now it still won't work?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 7:58pm
Not kidding.

It sucks.

Jared will solve your problem.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:56am
Steve, is there any difference between the MLB100 and the SkyTrax 100 other than the name change?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:02am
I'm not Steve but I can answer your question. There is no difference between the MLB100 and the SkyTrax100, it was just a marketing name change.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 2:28pm
This list appears to be ADS-B In?  

I assume for out that most of the ads-b boxes can use the 540 position data and that just takes a wire or two?  

Ken
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 4:50pm
It's not a good idea to assume anything around here.

The IFD540 is capable of feeding WAAS position information to ADS-B out devices. However, to be legal, the STC for the ADS-B out box must specifically mention the IFD540 as an approved position source.

My understanding is that a few manufacturers have been reluctant to include Avidyne on their STC lists.

Mike
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:16pm
I would say Mike is mostly correct.

The IFD family of boxes will output ADS-B compliant GPS position for various ADS-B Out transponders to use.   Those transponders can use that GPS output just fine and be donating their position into the ADS-B network and look and feel like full-up ADS-B participants including being able to receive ADS-B data from other network participants (presuming a piece of equipment capable of receiving that ADS-B data is on the airplane).

The "to be legal" part is where I would say he isn't completely correct.   The FAA mandate (the "legal" thing here) requires an FAA recognition of compatible compliance by Dec 31, 2019.  That typically is delivered via an STC vehicle (but it doesn't have to be).   So, between now and Dec 31, 2019, you can basically do whatever you want and not be "illegal".

That nuanced set of statements is important operationally.  You are a full-up ADS-B participant with an IFD and an ADS-B Out transponder combo, now.   You just need to make sure, presuming the FAA doesn't change their rules between now and then, that by Dec 31 2019, you have a combination of GPS position source (e.g. IFD540, IFD440, etc) and ADS-B Out transponder that is a FAA-recognized acceptable pair.  

As of Release 10.2, that will include:

IFD4XX/5XX - AXP322
IFD4XX/5XX - AXP340
IFD4XX/5XX - GTX330ES
IFD4XX/5XX - GTX345

Avidyne is the one obtaining the STC that supports those combos.  I would agree with Mike that other vendors are understandably reluctant to seek more STCs that include Avidyne navigators and/or transponders.   They do this for reasons that make business sense to them.

There are other combos that involve Avidyne supplied navigators like R9 and other combos that involve Garmin supplied navigators and Avidyne supplied transponders but I will leave those out of this IFD-centric post.

An important note is that some installers inappropriately take a position that until there is a STC that shows the navigator-transponder combo is FAA recognized as 2020 mandate ADS-B Out compliant, then it is not a legal installation.   They are wrong, plain and simple.  But, sometimes, you are just pushing on a rope in spite of actual facts and so the mis-perceptions propagate.

A lot of that will be moot as soon as the STCs are in place in the very near future.

Make sense?

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 6:23pm
Yep.  I'll keep right on waiting... 

wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 11:31am
AviJake, Ok this is (good) news to me.

I am asked about this a lot in BPT classes; you surely know that Avidyne is a BPT sponsor! Thanks!

When considering a plug & play swap of 530W to IFD-5XX, the question of the need to replace the 
GTX-330 transponder & ES upgrades usually arises.  It is a negative in that one can't simply do the 330 ES upgrade to get ADS-B.   And there are a lot of 530/430 stacks out there that include the 330. 

I wasn't aware that the 540 could be a legal position source for the 330 until seeing this.
This certainly would remove an important barrier for doing the upgrade.

So with precision, could you answer these questions:

1.   Version 10.2 is required--what version of 330ES software is supported?

2.   Is there a citable STC for the interface?  Before 2020?  Is it the same STC as the 322 and other
      transponders?  Are we absolutely sure the 330ES & 345 interconnect won't drop off the plate?

3.  When will we have 10.2 ?   :-)   

Bill Hale

BH
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I would say Mike is mostly correct.

The IFD family of boxes will output ADS-B compliant GPS position for various ADS-B Out transponders to use.   Those transponders can use that GPS output just fine and be donating their position into the ADS-B network and look and feel like full-up ADS-B participants including being able to receive ADS-B data from other network participants (presuming a piece of equipment capable of receiving that ADS-B data is on the airplane).

The "to be legal" part is where I would say he isn't completely correct.   The FAA mandate (the "legal" thing here) requires an FAA recognition of compatible compliance by Dec 31, 2019.  That typically is delivered via an STC vehicle (but it doesn't have to be).   So, between now and Dec 31, 2019, you can basically do whatever you want and not be "illegal".

That nuanced set of statements is important operationally.  You are a full-up ADS-B participant with an IFD and an ADS-B Out transponder combo, now.   You just need to make sure, presuming the FAA doesn't change their rules between now and then, that by Dec 31 2019, you have a combination of GPS position source (e.g. IFD540, IFD440, etc) and ADS-B Out transponder that is a FAA-recognized acceptable pair.  

IFD4XX/5XX - AXP322
IFD4XX/5XX - AXP340
IFD4XX/5XX - GTX330ES
IFD4XX/5XX - GTX345

Avidyne is the one obtaining the STC that supports those combos.  I would agree with Mike that other vendors are understandably reluctant to seek more STCs that include Avidyne navigators and/or transponders.   They do this for reasons that make business sense to them.

There are other combos that involve Avidyne supplied navigators like R9 and other combos that involve Garmin supplied navigators and Avidyne supplied transponders but I will leave those out of this IFD-centric post.

An important note is that some installers inappropriately take a position that until there is a STC that shows the navigator-transponder combo is FAA recognized as 2020 mandate ADS-B Out compliant, then it is not a legal installation.   They are wrong, plain and simple.  But, sometimes, you are just pushing on a rope in spite of actual facts and so the mis-perceptions propagate.

A lot of that will be moot as soon as the STCs are in place in the very near future.

Make sense?

What's about the Trig TT31?

And is this Level B or Level C as the GTNs?

Klaus
bobcain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobcain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 10:17am
And.....

What about a UAT? Some of us don't get that excited about the big brother nature of mode S.  I'll keep my mode C and make sure I have anonymous mode available.
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:48pm
You would want to check that the UAT 978 device has anonymous mode.    I asked at the navworx booth and they said they don't support it.

BH
BH
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 9:08am
Is an "anonymous mode" actually allowed? I didn't think it was.

It's not just "big brother" that will be able to track us, it will be anyone and everyone. This is a serious concern of mine about ADS-B. Corporate competitors, gossip columnists, stalkers, etc will be able to track where people are going and when. Would John Q. Public stand for this is it were being applied to our cars?
Ron L

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 10:27am
I agree.  

Although, I think that your Mode-c can be used in the same way.  (there is a unique code).   But, it's not as easy. 

Ken
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2016 at 12:09pm
I believe the GDL88 does have anonymous mode.   Only when squaking 1200.   BH
BH
berndsenco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndsenco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 5:35pm
Jake/Simpson,
Any progress on getting the IFD 540/440 units to interface with the Lynx NGT-9000R remote ADS-B transponder?  Lynx tells me they have provided Avidyne all the info, and it is now in Avidyne's court. I have to use a remote transponder in my Cirrus since I took up space with the 540 upgrade.  The AXP322 remote transponder isn't certified for ADS-B out so that isn't a solution for me.
Jon Berndsen
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by berndsenco berndsenco wrote:

Jake/Simpson,
Any progress on getting the IFD 540/440 units to interface with the Lynx NGT-9000R remote ADS-B transponder?  Lynx tells me they have provided Avidyne all the info, and it is now in Avidyne's court. I have to use a remote transponder in my Cirrus since I took up space with the 540 upgrade.  The AXP322 remote transponder isn't certified for ADS-B out so that isn't a solution for me.

This question is the topic of this thread:

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=849&PN=2&title=connecting-with-an-ngt-9000

The thread was hijacked along the way but got back on track towards the end of it, where the final word was L3 support is not included in the 10.2 software update.  It's great to know that all the coordination going on between L3 and Avidyne has resulted in the full cooperation of L3. Hopefully those of us with L3 9000's are now much closer to having L3 and IFD's fully communicating on whatever version of CAPSTONE is applicable.  Software update 10.2.1 perhaps?  
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 5:55pm

Your 1090Mhz ADS-B Solution

Coupled with Avidyne’s IFD540 or IFD440, the AXP322 provides full ADS-B surveillance capability to meet the upcoming mandates for flight above and below FL180 in the U.S. and internationally. The AXP322 transmits the required ADS-B Out signals including your aircraft’s GPS-derived position via 1090MHz, along with ground track, ground speed and altitude information. Add in Avidyne’s SkyTrax100 978MHz ADS-B Receiver and you will be able to receive FIS-B weather and ADS-B/ADS-R traffic for optimal situational awareness and safety.Avidynes ADS-B Solutions

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 6:06pm

Jake/Simpson,
A...The AXP322 remote transponder isn't certified for ADS-B out so that isn't a solution for me.

As has been posted elsewhere, there is NO STC required for ADS-B out transponders, until 2020. Avidyne will have the paperwork out with the version 10.2 release, it will include the 340, 322 and the Garmin 330ES and 335/345.

I had a 340 installed, and then a 322, both with my IFD540, and flew with both. Both checked out 100% with the FAA check.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Aug 2016 at 6:07pm
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Jake/Simpson,
A...The AXP322 remote transponder isn't certified for ADS-B out so that isn't a solution for me.

I had a 340 installed, and then a 322, both with my IFD540, and flew with both. Both checked out 100% with the FAA check.

* Orest

As do mine.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:18pm
Does anyone have the KT-74 installed. I have it with the IFD 540 and
it passes all the test ok. Will it be STC'd.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:19am
Originally posted by wookie wookie wrote:

You would want to check that the UAT 978 device has anonymous mode.    I asked at the navworx booth and they said they don't support it.

NavWorx had anonymous mode in their original (experimental) products.  The authority forced them to remove it during the certification process.  The code is still in their archive and will be released in a future software.

So it would be more accurate to say that the unit doesn't have anonymous mode right now.  (Not that NavWorx doesn't support it.)

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:24am

IFD4XX/5XX - AXP322
IFD4XX/5XX - AXP340
IFD4XX/5XX - GTX330ES
IFD4XX/5XX - GTX345

Avidyne is the one obtaining the STC that supports those combos. 

Jake,

I notice that those are all 1090ES solutions for ADS-B Out compliance.  My understanding is that release 10.2 will also include some back-process GPS improvements that will allow the IFD to be a position source for a UAT solution for ADS-B Out compliance.

While it's very nice, I understand that Avidyne is not responsible for pursuing STC support for any of this.  My understanding is that STC approval of any position source is the responsibility of the manufacturer of the ADS-B transmitter.

So I applaud you and Avidyne for going above-and-beyond in this regard.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:26am

The following list is true as of Release 10.2:

MLB100 ADS-B Weather and Traffic

SkyTrax 100 ADS-B Weather and Traffic

GTX345 ADS-B Weather and Traffic

GDL88 ADS-B Weather and Traffic

GTX330ES ADS-B Traffic

The GTX330ES does not receive ADS-B traffic.  It only receives "old fashioned" 1030MHz TIS traffic, and only in locations that provide TIS data via terminal radar.

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 26 Aug 2016 at 9:27am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 2:02pm
Yes, thanks for the GTX330ES correction.  I guess I should have genericized the title and said here are non-active traffic sources as of 10.2.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Originally posted by wookie wookie wrote:

NavWorx had anonymous mode in their original (experimental) products.  The authority forced them to remove it during the certification process.  The code is still in their archive and will be released in a future software.

So it would be more accurate to say that the unit doesn't have anonymous mode right now.  (Not that NavWorx doesn't support it.)

David Bunin

I see on the Navworx website that anonymous mode is supported for the 600B.  The documentation for the box does not mention it.    BH
BH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 3:15pm
I'll start by saying that while I am a fan, I do not agree with everything NavWorx does or says.  In particular, their web site can be a source of frustration (both for them and for their customers).  It is my opinion that in this case, the word "supported" has little meaning.  The anonymous mode is not EMBODIED in the current product.  It doesn't DO anonymous mode today.  Is the hardware capable of supporting it?  Certainly.  Do I think the functionality will appear in a future software release?  Yes, I do.  When?  Don't get me to lying.

The lack of mention in the documentation is ... accurate, if not enlightening.

David Bunin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic