Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Logistics of WIFI with IFD, EFB, ADS-B, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Logistics of WIFI with IFD, EFB, ADS-B, etc.
    Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:16am
I currently use ForeFlight on my iPad Mini with a Stratux ADS-B box (homebrew version of Stratus).  To get ADS-B data from the Stratux, I connect my iPad to the "stratux" WIFI network.  However, if I want the IFD to talk to Foreflight, I have to join the IFD's WIFI network.

Is there some network architecture or plan that will allow me to get my ADS-B info into Foreflight from a Stratux or Stratus box, while at the same time exchanging flight plan info with the IFD?  Switching WIFI networks is way, way too cumbersome.

I plan to have at least one additional tablet running the IFD-100 app, but I don't really want two tablets for Foreflight - one for ADS-B, and one for flight-planning and uploading.  That would just get ridiculous.

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:25am
Very shortly, you'll be able to get ADS-B weather and traffic on Foreflight from your IFD, as well as doing two-way flight plan syncs. These are all features in the 10.2 IFD software release. Until then, you'll have to keep switching networks. (If you look at the promotional materials L3 just released about Foreflight integration with their boxes, I imagine we'll see very similar behavior with the IFDs when 10.2 drops).
Royski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Royski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Very shortly, you'll be able to get ADS-B weather and traffic on Foreflight from your IFD,
(emphasis added)

It'd be nice to have the ADS-B information go the other way, for those of us with a portable ADS-B receiver.
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 12:09pm
My first instinct was to say that FAA wouldn't approve having an uncertified portable device injecting data for display like this. After all, they don't approve the Stratus line for primary use in IFR nav. Maybe with the new NORSEE perestroika this will change-- I sure hope so. Then there's a separate issue of what data streams Avidyne is willing to allow the IFDs to accept, parse, and display-- that's what the "tier 2" SDK is for (see http://avidyne.com/news/press.asp?release=320) but I don't think there's a lot of public detail on the requirements to use it. I would imagine that some enterprising folks could get a tier 2 license from Avidyne and create an app for the Stratux that would provide a data stream that the IFD would accept. 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

I plan to have at least one additional tablet running the IFD-100 app, but I don't really want two tablets for Foreflight - one for ADS-B, and one for flight-planning and uploading.  That would just get ridiculous.

I believe in 10.2, there will be an option for the IFD to join a Wifi network as a client, rather than only work as a hotspot. So both the IFD & your tablet could join the Stratux hotspot network. As to what data flows will occur then, that is up to the imagination and the FAA.

* Orest

310pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 310pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 9:28pm
I hate to be the bearer of bad news (and hope Im wrong) but I had this very discussion at OSH with both Avidyne and Foreflight... This optimum solution proved to be to complex to implement at this time. Foreflight also had more pressing items they needed to work on before they could spend any time getting this to work....soooooooo, As awesome as 10.2 will be, it is my understanding that 10.2 will not provide a solution to foreflight users with both stratus and Avidyne wifi.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2016 at 4:35pm
310pilot may, or may not, be right.  Release 10.2 will definitely support the two WiFi modes that Orest notes above.  It can jump onto an existing network and it can serve as its own hotspot.

Whether or not the apps running in the existing network option have made their updates to take advantage of two-way data flow in 10.2 is up to those individual apps.

On the interesting front, we've had 3 more app providers jump on-board since Oshkosh.  Not clear if they will have updates to their apps in time for 10.2 or sometime after.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 5:17am
Garmin Pilot?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 7:34am
For reasons that are a complete mystery to me, no, no GarminPilot.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 9:52am
What I think is funny, is that Garmin wants other app developers, e.g. FF to make their apps inclusive to their technology (GDL 88, GDL 39 for example), but they aren't makeing the converse effort.

I liked GP because their maps were vector maps rather than chart images, but I have abandoned them because they aren't going to have their app talk to the IFD.  I suspect other IFD owners will do the same.

David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 11:08am
iFly GPS has a vector map mode.  I believe they are one of the app devs that Steve mentioned "jumped on board" at OSH.  At least, they previously said they were going to make an effort to reach to to Avidyne while they were there.
Ronald Mason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronald Mason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 12:53pm
I'm confused, I thought my 540/440 can talk to my Ipad via WIFI and your message implies to me that the software has not yet been released?

Please explain.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 1:21pm
Ronald, 

The 540/440's ability to talk with some mobile tablet apps via WiFi does exist and is certified now (and has been for some time).

That started out as a limited ability.  Initially it was streaming data like the flight plan and aircraft position out of the IFD540/440 via WiFi for apps that chose to use that data.  That initial list included ForeFlight and FltPlan.com.   Nice, but not a complete connected solution.

More and more vendors have been updating their apps to be compatible with the Avidyne streaming data (the count was standing at 19 the last time I looked) and most are taking advantage of the big capability bump that comes with Release 10.2.

With Release 10.2, now the IFDs and accompanying mobile apps have two-way WiFi connectivity.   Data like flight plans can be pushed out of the IFD to the mobile app AND it can be pushed into the IFDs from the mobile app.   User waypoints and GPS position, and ADS-B weather and ADS-B traffic and even attitude data is being pushed out of the IFDs over WiFi for any interested app to use anyway they see fit.   Release 10.2 isn't available yet, but it's close.

The list of apps and the list of data flowing in/out of the IFDs will continue to grow.  The second half of 2016 alone should see a big leap in options available to all end users.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 9:30pm
Steve, is a matrix being developed that shows which apps are sharing waht data with the IFDs?  I assume the app vendors will be responsible for saying what their app does but I hope Avidyne compiles their inputs into a logical format??
Jim Patton
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 9:33pm
Yes, I have such matrix and I plan to post it when 10.2 is certified.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 9:59am
I realize for good reason that y'all don't want to predict dates.

Is 10.2 in the home stretch?  Can you provide some sort of update (date agnostic)?
David Gates
jwjenks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwjenks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 11:14pm
I just checked in with my iPad on the app store and the IFD100 iPad application was not available.
I searched Avidyne and ifd100 and the results yielded "No results for IFD100.  Any suggestions?

I have a certificate for IFD550 and I have FlyQ on my iPad, so I'm interested in finding out what data I'll be able to get into the iPad. 
I have an MLB100 (NavWorx ASD 600B) for ADSB and FlyQ says they interface with the NavWorx unit.  I wonder how?
JWJ
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 11:38pm
The IFD100 app requires the panel unit to be running software v10.2, which hasn't yet been released.  I don't think Avidyne plans to release the IFD100 app until 10.2 is out.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 11:59pm
WiFi; either host or client, by what they claim.

I have same setup incl fly q.

Edited by ddgates - 08 Dec 2016 at 12:00am
David Gates
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 10:27am
Originally posted by jwjenks jwjenks wrote:

I have an MLB100 (NavWorx ASD 600B) for ADSB and FlyQ says they interface with the NavWorx unit.  I wonder how?

The SkyTrax100 (used to be MLB100) is the NavWorx ADS600 (not the ADS600-B).  The "B" stands for Broadcast.  Your unit is only a receiver.

To interface with FlyQ today, you'd need the NavWorx Wi-Fi module installed.

I don't know if FlyQ can accept the GPS position of the IFD directly from the Avidyne Wi-Fi signal.  And going forward, I don't know how much of the traffic or weather data (if any) the IFD will pass through to a portable device.  And what their interaction capacity might be for the FlyQ app.

David Bunin

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 1:46pm
Fly Q can do GPS position and unidirectional FP now via wifi.

With 10.2 it is supposed to get bidirectional, not sure about SkyTrax WX.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic