Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADS-B Out setup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ADS-B Out setup
    Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:21am

I was just informed about something that many may not be aware. 

If you are using a portable ADS-B IN solution, such as Foreflight, you need to be sure that the transponder is set to ADS-B IN "active" even though you do not have a certified ADS-B IN product.  If you do not have a certified ADS-B IN box and your avionics installer sets the AXP340 to be ADS-B OUT only, the ADS-B ground receiver will not respond with a customized TIS-B traffic broadcast to you.  This setting is communicated to the ADS-B ground station and it thinks you have NO ADS-B solution so why bother sending the traffic packet.  You will only see traffic that are being reported to other close-by  ADS-B Out aircraft.

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 7:38pm
It is slightly more complicated than that.  There isn't just one ADS-B In "active" bit in the configuration, there are two of them.  You ADS-B Out device (whatever it may be) should accurately advertise your In receiving capability.  It should let the system know if you can receive 1090 and if you can receive UAT (978).  Or both, or neither.

The system doesn't care if you receive by installed (certified) equipment or portable equipment.

This is true for any ADS-B Out solution, not just the AXP340.

David Bunin
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 8:56pm
Can you tell me where to check these settings.  I don't think their set correctly.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 5:56pm
In the AXP340, or some other piece of equipment?

I just downloaded the installation manual for the AXP340 (I found a rev 00 copy).  The ADS-B Receiver options settings are on page 34 in section 7.5.13

http://www.avidyne.com/files/downloads/600-00308-000.pdf

David Bunin
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2016 at 8:14pm
I had my AXP 340 settings all messed up. TJ Sutton walked me through it and I'm now squawking loud and clear. These guys are class acts!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic