Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 440 flight manual insert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 440 flight manual insert
    Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:05pm

Apologies in advance, fairly long post .

ok, when I had my Garmin 430W. I had a flight manual supplement that showed me how to use the unit with my KFC 200 and GPSS roll steer autopilot system.

When checking for the same thing for my supplement from Avidyne, that information is not available.

Upon contacting Avidyne, it was explained they don't do that because of all the different Autopilot systems.  Hmm, didn't seem to be an issue for Garmin.

For any of you who have a KFC 200 Autopilot with GPSS roll steering, could you give me your flow for setting up an RNAV/GPS and or ILS/LOC approach.

Example: on the 430W when I wanted to do an RNAV/GPS appch(LPV)

The hdg/gps switch was in GPS mode.

App loaded on 430W

use HDG on KFC 200 to get to approach course intercept, then select APP mode on A/P to intercept and fly glide path. Worked great.

Followed the same procedure recently using the IFD 440, it never intercepted and or flew the glidepath, eventhough it indicated LPV mode.

Trying to ascertain, if I missed something on the A/P setup, different from the Garmin?

Or if I missed something on the IFD440 when setting up my approach. If my A/P flow is correct, then I can focus on the IFD440 to find my error.

On the ILS witht he Garmin 430W.

Tune ILS freq on Garmin.

Use GPS to get on intercept for LOC

Aproaching intercept, hit OBS button, switch HDG/GPS toggle switch to HDG.

Then APP on the KFC 200 panel.

A/P would intercept and fly the ILS just fine.

IS this the same flow to follow on the IFD440? VOR/LOC set to autotune

Again, on the same trip. When the GPS didn't fly the approach correctly, I tried to switch over to the ILS, using the above procedure. The A/P didn't intercept or fly the ILS either.

It was a VFR day, so not a big issue at the time, as I just hand flew to the runway.

Again, anyone that uses the KFC 200 system with GPSS roll steering, what flow do you utilize with your IFD 440. IFD 540 would probably be similar.

Again, trying to ascertain if it's an A/P setup error or something I missed on the IFD 440.

Due to ATC, I initially had the RNAV approach loaded, they sent me to the ILS iaf. I loaded that appch, and activated it. When switching over to another approach, I asked and received cleartance to fly the RNAV again. Re-loaded that approach.  I may have missed activating the approach, could explain some things.

But, I do want to make sure my KFC 200 A/P flow/setup is correct.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

Best,

David

dwbarnett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwbarnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 4:09am
never mind, got my answer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic