Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Red Xs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Xs
    Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 9:35am
I got red Xs on the left data blocks after a refueling stop rendering my 540 a paperweight, or so I thought. Upon taxi it came back to life making me think a bad connection. I wish I would have taken a picture and will do so if it happens again. The only anomaly was communicating with the engine monitor for the leg but all seems well at this point. I'm really thrilled with my decision to go with this 540 and look forward to getting more time behind it.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:10am
You can still donwload all the logs, and send them to technical support. They should be able to figure out what happened. Very simple procedure to do -- and if you have a repairable issue, you want to get that fixed.

Give them a call the toll free number. If this is a brand new, it won't cost you anything.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 24 Jun 2016 at 11:11am
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:07am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

You can still donwload all the logs, and send them to technical support. They should be able to figure out what happened. Very simple procedure to do -- and if you have a repairable issue, you want to get that fixed.

Give them a call the toll free number. If this is a brand new, it won't cost you anything.

* Orest

Their email address is techsupp@avidyne.com or 888-723-7592. Having the logs handy will help, the steps to retrieve them are in the pilots guide.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:18am
I'll do that. I'm away from the plane for a bit but will prioritize that as I would like to have an understanding of what was going on. Thanks! Look forward to a visit at OSH.
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:39am
when you say left data blocks do you mean comm and nav frequencies?  If so it is an overvoltage condition.  I have had the same issue... the old generators in the airplane tend to build voltage over time in flight and as the battery becomes fully charged the voltage will hit 30 volts and there goes the 540... the 530 wasn't as sensitive... Manual says it is supposed to be 31 volts but like clockwork when battery trips 30 you hear the cycling and red x's pop up over comm's.  Turn down the voltage!
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:37pm
That's plausible but I've a new Plane Power VR and I'm right down the street from them. I'll ask if I can reduce the output. What you describe is what I saw. I still need to pull the logs and have them studied. Thanks for the insight.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 5:58pm
The VR is adjustable, it is a part of the setup. Better than tweaking in the blind, plug a voltmeter into the lighter socket, start the engine, run up to about 1700 RPM on the ground, and see what you have,
-or-
Use the voltage meter part of your JPI
-or-
If you have Aspens they will read your voltage as well.

Don't adjust your VR output without knowing the voltages directly; actually any VR tweak is supposed to be o be done by an A&P.

Edited by ddgates - 28 Jun 2016 at 6:01pm
David Gates
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:06pm
I just pulled the logs from my 930 and the voltage when I would have turned on the 540 would have been no more than 27.5v. Looking over a 3.5 hr flight my voltage never got up more than 28.1v for 34 minutes then drops back 27.9v. I don't think that high voltage is the issue. I am anxious to pull the 540s logs. This is good stuff!
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:09pm
Here's what I'm looking at:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/125356136@N02/CNQ808
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 9:52am
Then don't touch your VR.

Are you getting red X on items that require data feeds from your JPI or an EFIS?

What were the data blocks which were X'ed out?

I've seen this when there is temporary interruption in the ARINC 429 heading feed; maybe something similar.

Edited by ddgates - 29 Jun 2016 at 9:57am
David Gates
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 2:27pm
The NAV and COM data blocks were Xd out. I'll see if I can get th logs this week. Nothing else was affected to my knowledge then everything cleared up except the fuel data info between the 540 and the 930. Next flight had no issues at all. I'm running FastStack Approach Hub and Tim's harnesses behind my panel and everything just seems to work. I had a heading bug issue with the autopilot but it was an Aspen setting that I had wrong and now I think I'm good to go. You have to love this data logging!!
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 3:02pm
If it was only those boxes, it is a IFD540 issue, no doubt.

I'd get an RMA and send the box back to Avidyne.
David Gates
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 3:34am
Ill say it again.... If it was nav and com that was x'd out it is the voltage.   
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 2:27pm
Not necessarily. If understand correctly, both nav and comm are software defined radios.
David Gates
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Apiaguy Apiaguy wrote:

I'll say it again.... If it was nav and com that was x'd out it is the voltage.   

Except that we have evidence that there was no problem with voltage.

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 9:27am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

+1
David Gates
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2016 at 12:36pm
Im not convinced your voltage date from your engine monitor proves it isnt a problem... But hey, just my opinion having delt with this problem
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2016 at 10:23am
Voltage data  in the data logs is very coarse from a timing perspective and could easily mask a real issue.

Your VHF radio blocks when Red-X because either the VHF failed (highly unlikely and would have been accompanied by CAS messages telling you that), or that the input voltage on those pins dropped off/below minimums.  This is the much more likely cause.    Now the question is to determine why that happened.

In my test airplane, I used to have a flaky original/antique 530 tray for one of my IFDs and would periodically have this happen until I had the tray replaced with a more reliable connection.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 8:12pm
I just got back from downloading my data logs and will follow up probably Monday. I can assure you that I don't have one of those cheesy "G" trays. :-D
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 5:39pm
Just to follow up, I couldn't be more thrilled with Avidyne's customer service. After some time and transferring data logs, I received a replacement IFD 540. TJ Sutton patiently assisted me through this ordeal and even helped me get all the settings on my 340 so it would talk ADSB. I received a replacement IFD 540 box at my door this morning so I walked out to my hangar, recorded the settings, set it up, and I'm now up and running like new. I hope to fly by next week and road test it.
ac11 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 12:29am
Thanks for the follow up. It really helps. There are a lot of threads without a response/resolution on this board. Thanks for providing closure.
kdwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

+1

+1

Been chasing this down for many months now and still no resolution. It's not the voltage nor the CB. What's frustrating is that NO other avionics are affected which would likely be the case if it was voltage.

Edited by kdwalker - 05 Oct 2016 at 1:11pm
kdwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 1:07pm
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 1:48pm
More testing required...
The other avionics aren't as voltage sensitive so you won't see it in them.

Next time it happens, turn off the alternator or generator so  everything is running on battery voltage only.  
Again, I see this happen all the time on the 540 with high voltage.
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 10:01pm
Previously I posted about a corroded connector at the battery breaker on the bus causing the voltage to drop when the gear pump came on, and I noticed it via the JPI resetting.   There was another time not long after we bought the plane where the JPI reported excess bus voltage intermittently (maybe 16V?).   That turned out to be a loose connector on the alternator causing the regulator to drive the voltage too high.  Fortunately we didn't fry anything.
kdwalker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 8:58pm
Support swapped out the unit and I no longer (so far) have the VHF failures.  

-Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic