Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540 to 550 Upgrade Path

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540 to 550 Upgrade Path
    Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:06am
Sales and Marketing folks are finalizing their program that will be available for anyone interested in upgrading their IFD540 to an IFD550.

I've seen the draft and it looks pretty good.

They expect to publish those plans some time in the week of 23 May.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 8:36am
Thanks for the update.

* Orest

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 9:28am
Steve,

What can we expect as far as installation requirements for swapping a 540 with a 550?

I assume it's a plug-n-play for the box itself, but are there external sensors that need to be installed?

Edited by pburger - 18 May 2016 at 9:28am
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2016 at 6:43pm
This could be good! Thanks look forward to next week!
Tom G
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:57am
Any news?

Tom G
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 9:37pm
Tomorrow is the last working day of the "week of 23".... just sayin'
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 8:08am
We are working on the final touches of the program. We should have the approval shortly.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 2:58pm

Here are the details for the 550 upgrade program which we will be rolling out this week:

For current IFD540 owners
Avidyne’s IFD540-->IFD550 Trade-In Program is a limited-time offer for current IFD540 owners who would like to move up to the IFD550.  Customers can sign up now to trade in your IFD540 + $5,000 and get an IFD550 w/new 2 year warranty (or a full 4 years of warranty with AeroPlan®). This $5,000 upgrade pricing is only available until the IFD550 is certified. Upon certification of the IFD550, the standard 540-to-550 trade-in price will be starting at $7,000. Pricing does not include shipping or installation fees. Avidyne is accepting full-payment reservations for up to 10 upgrade slots per month on a first-come, first-served basis.

IFD550 Early Purchase
Avidyne’s IFD550 early-purchase program allows aircraft owners who do not currently have an IFD to act now and install an IFD540 today and swap it out for the IFD550 once it is certified—there’s no reason to wait!  Customer pays for IFD540 + $3,500 (50% of retail cost to upgrade to 550) now.  The difference in retail price between the IFD540 and IFD550 is $5,000. With this offer, customers can place an order for the IFD550 now, install a IFD540 today and only pay additional $3,500 (a savings of $1,500) versus waiting until IFD550 is available. Upgrade payment of $3,500 due at the time of initial purchase. With this program, the customer can begin to enjoy the ease of use and fun of flying the IFD540 now, and get the added benefits of the IFD550 once it becomes available.

For more information contact sales at 800-284-3963 or sales(at)avidyne.com

Edited by AviSimpson - 31 May 2016 at 3:02pm
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 4:04pm
A posted and clear video of the EGOCENTRIC SV for a 550 would be very useful.

Thanks.
David Gates
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:31pm
I know this is a foolish question to ask . .  but here goes . . . any rough idea of when the IFD550 will be certified?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 5:39pm
Yes, as soon as the FAA signs off on the STC.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
vuk3@me.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vuk3@me.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:15pm
Hi guys, A few questions from me: Is there any further wiring to be done to the existing IFD540 tray installation to make the IFD550 work? Will the IFD550 require factory installed hardware modifications after I install it? I assume the upgrade will be like for like... If I have the 16W Comms in my IFD540 then I'll have the same in the 550 right? I'm located in Australia, will you guys consider sending the IFD550 to my avionics shop before I send back my IFD540 to minimise downtime. And do you expect the FAA STC to be completed in weeks, months or years? I'd like to know how long I have to pledge my donation for an upgrade.
Cheers
Andy

Edited by vuk3@me.com - 31 May 2016 at 6:30pm
VH-UAR YMMB
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Yes, as soon as the FAA signs off on the STC.

This is not a complete certification but just an STC on the Attitude Reference System? Presumably a few weeks to a few months?

Edited by LANCE - 31 May 2016 at 6:20pm
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:45pm
Aside of being a fancy display, what is the STC going to bring? Like, can it be used as a standby A.I. for a glass panel?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:45pm
The upgrade from a 540 to a 550 can be 100% plug and play.  

There are asterisks associated with that statement.  For example, did you have heading input to the 540?  If yes, then you will get the TVV part of the 550 to show up. If not, then either you don't get the TVV, or you must add a heading source input to the 540.

But, there technically is no need to add any more wiring.   The 550 will not require any additional hardware mods that exist at this time.  If you have a 16W 540, then you would get a 16W 550 if you took advantage of the upgrade program that Simpson published.

I won't comment on the logistics of shipping boxes all around the world.  It will be so situationally dependent on the individual install - you will need to coordinate with your Avi Sales rep and/or your shop.

As for how long do we need to keep your pledge money - I won't answer it.   Every time I've tried in the past, things have gummed up those estimates and we felt the furor of customers who did not enjoy that uncertainty or unrealized expectations.  So for now, "it will be done when it's done."
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by TurboPA30 TurboPA30 wrote:

Aside of being a fancy display, what is the STC going to bring? Like, can it be used as a standby A.I. for a glass panel?

For at least the initial cert, the IFD550 will be a "supplemental, non-required" additional source of attitude.  That means, whatever attitude indicators your airplane currently requires is unchanged.  You can not use the IFD550 to serve as one of your required attitude sources.

Architecturally, nothing automatically prevents the device from being used as a standby or even primary but that is not the cert we are seeking at this time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
hamilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 6:55pm
Seeings you have pricing in this thread, would you have any idea on list price for an IFD545?
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by hamilton hamilton wrote:

Seeings you have pricing in this thread, would you have any idea on list price for an IFD545?

This was in the e-mail that came out on April 1, 2016:

Edited by LANCE - 31 May 2016 at 7:03pm
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:04am
What would the install consist of, from an IFD-540 to 550?  

Ken
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:12am

There are asterisks associated with that statement.  For example, did you have heading input to the 540?  If yes, then you will get the TVV part of the 550 to show up. If not, then either you don't get the TVV, or you must add a heading source input to the 540.

So I'm trying to understand this statement.  Currently in my 540 installation, I have no inertial input.  I display track and not heading.  Do I have to add an inertial to upgrade from a 540 -> 550? or will the internal  AHRS in the 550 be sufficient for the SV to work, given that I will not use this as a primary or backup source.  Promise......

I just want to slide the 540 out and slide the 550 to get SV.

Edited by tony - 01 Jun 2016 at 8:13am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 9:56am
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

A posted and clear video of the EGOCENTRIC SV for a 550 would be very useful.

Thanks.

Here's a start...

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 11:37am
Thanks for the info, guys!  

What is TVV? 

So, Will 10.2 be available before the IFD-550?  I would like to see how the in trial works in my 540s with 10.2.   

Ken

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by comancheguy comancheguy wrote:

What is TVV? 

Quote Avidyne’s Synthetic Vision (SVS) — Avidyne’s Entegra Release 9’s Synthetic Vision uses 9 arc-sec terrain data to display a three-dimensional scene representing an “egocentric” out-the-window view. SVS provides a graphical presentation of three-dimensional terrain and water, obstacles, and traffic, and includes the addition of a Total Velocity Vector (TVV) on the primary flight display. The TVV provides a visual representation of the aircraft flight path, indicating where the airplane is going, which is not necessarily where the aircraft is pointing.

Edited by MysticCobra - 01 Jun 2016 at 11:59am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 12:13pm
The green circle

Edited by AviSimpson - 01 Jun 2016 at 12:14pm
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 12:59pm
Gotcha!  Thanks!
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 3:46pm
Where and when on the early application form.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

So I'm trying to understand this statement.  Currently in my 540 installation, I have no inertial input.  I display track and not heading.  Do I have to add an inertial to upgrade from a 540 -> 550? or will the internal  AHRS in the 550 be sufficient for the SV to work, given that I will not use this as a primary or backup source.  Promise......

I just want to slide the 540 out and slide the 550 to get SV.

You can do the slide in option.   You do NOT need an inertial input - the 550 internal ARS (attitude reference system) provides that.  If you do not have heading input then you do not get the TVV (total velocity vector) symbol.  That's all you miss with no heading.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 8:35pm
I'm a TVV junkie.  I don't care where my aircraft is heading, I only care where it is going.  The TVV shows that.  

But, I have a 3000+ hour HUD TVV bias here.   For those who have not seen a TVV in operation, you will be able to continue to fly  safely in blissful ignorance (not a bad thing at all).  Clearly, you can fly an aircraft safely without the benefit of a TVV.  Until, at least you see, and become, a TVV junkie and then you'll never be able to shake the addiction/habit.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 9:03pm
A FPV (flight path vector) or TVV is an incredibly powerful tool.

* Orest

Slatye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slatye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2016 at 9:50am
Could I ask what's happening to the traded-in IFD540s? Will Avidyne just rebuild them as IFD550s? Or will they be re-sold as "certified refurbished" IFD540s?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 8:28am
Resold as certified refurbished.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:02am
Is there any video that shows the TVV in action?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 1:59pm
Yes there is.  Simpson just put it together in the last few days and should post it or a path to it when he returns to the office/on-line.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

A FPV (flight path vector) or TVV is an incredibly powerful tool.

* Orest

Can you illuminate some of it's uses?
Tom G
M20Kid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M20Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 7:09pm
I have flown a number of airplanes with the TVV installed and the only time it's made one dot of difference to me was when I was getting a type rating and had to fly steep turns.  Keep the TVV on the horizon and you would not climb or descend.  I have not had it tied to synthetic vision, though, so there may be some additional benefit (like seeing the runway on an ILS in a crosswind?).  If most of your flying is cross country you will get some interesting, but mostly useless, information from the TVV.  Just my 2 cents.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2016 at 9:15pm
Put the circle on where you want to go, and the plane goes there. You can fill in any number of tasks there, whether level at cruise, or maneuvering.

Together with the SV provided actual horizon, and the pitch attitude, the TVV (FPV) will by difference show you your Angle of Attack, right on the PFD, or in this case the 550.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Together with the SV provided actual horizon, and the pitch attitude, the TVV (FPV) will by difference show you your Angle of Attack, right on the PFD, or in this case the 550.

* Orest

Respectfully. I don't think that is correct, Orest.

That's why I installed an AOA indicator.

Avidyne, a built in AOA, like Aspen has done for their PFD and MFD, though derived, could be a useful add on for the 550.

Just saying...

David
David Gates
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 1:55pm
David I agree with you. What it will be displaying is you pitch angle relative to the horizon in straight and level flight. It will not show your angle-of-attack.
Ron L
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 6:00pm
Ha! I have you gentlemen.

Although the AOA is not shown discretely, the AOA is easily discerned as the angular difference between the pitch attitude and the FPV (TVV). That is really the definition of AOA.

I use this all the time (with my ASPEN) to keep a constant AOA in a long climb.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jun 2016 at 6:01pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 6:08pm
A drawing makes it more obvious.

The 74 is shown in a climb here, the pitch attitude is Theta, the FPV is V-infinity. The AOA (alpha) is just pitch - FPV, which is pretty easy to read off the PFD. For example, if your pitch in the climb was 15*, and the FPV shows as 11*, then your AOA is 4* (EDIT).

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jun 2016 at 8:23pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 7:27pm
Orest,
Fascinating... OK I am trying to follow your logic - I assume you meant 15-11 = 4 deg, not 3 for AOA in your example.

So, next flight, I will observe the FPV (TVV) on my Aspen PFD with SV and hold a constant AOA delta ("Pitch - FPV") in the climb. 

Wonder how holding a constant AOA in the climb will compare to holding a constant IAS, like Vy speed (which admittedly will decrease slightly with altitude).

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 04 Jun 2016 at 7:29pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:27pm
Yes, typo, should be 4*.

After second segment climb, when you transition to cruise climb, note your displayed AOA. Maintain it, and you will maintain the same performance profile all the way up.

Your Vy will decrease 7 to 8 knts to the mid-teens. You can do the math, or just follow your PFD (or IFD). You can maintain Vy, Vy + 20, or whatever, using this AOA aid.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jun 2016 at 9:28pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:36pm
If those assertions are true, why do airliners have AOA vanes?  If it is a simple subtraction between fight path and pitch, doesn't make sense.  

The definition of AOA is delta between wing incidence and relative wind.

The two may be close in normal flight regime, but not sure they are identical.

EDIT:  Does the aspen depict FPM numerically?

If true, though, Avidyne can have its own AOA just with what is present.  Is that how Aspen did their (derived) AOA?

Edited by ddgates - 04 Jun 2016 at 8:42pm
David Gates
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 8:40pm
OK, now I can see that AOA can in fact be calculated from the TVV vs pitch. Thanks for the clear explanation O. I learned something today!     :-)
Ron L
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

If those assertions are true, why do airliners have AOA vanes?  ...

EDIT:  Does the aspen depict FPM numerically?

If true, though, Avidyne can have its own AOA just with what is present.  Is that how Aspen did their (derived) AOA?

It is just a bit of math.

An AOA vane measures the AOA (relative wind) directly, and more accurately. Obviously preferable. Although the data is used internally, ironically, it is only a minority of civilian transport aircraft that show raw AOA.

No, ASPEN does not break out the AOA into a numeric value. But, I suspect that is exactly what they are using, in deriving their AOA values, with some smoothing added, and displayed relative to a reference point established with the fairly extensive flight testing required as part of the install.

If I was going to install a stand alone AOA system, I'd get the Safe Flight system.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jun 2016 at 9:30pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 9:53pm

[/QUOTE]

It is just a bit of math.

An AOA vane measures the AOA (relative wind) directly, and more accurately. Obviously preferable. Although the data is used internally, ironically, it is only a minority of civilian transport aircraft that show raw AOA.

No, ASPEN does not break out the AOA into a numeric value. But, I suspect that is exactly what they are using, in deriving their AOA values, with some smoothing added, and displayed relative to a reference point established with the fairly extensive flight testing required as part of the install.

If I was going to install a stand alone AOA system, I'd get the Safe Flight system.

* Orest

[/QUOTE]
Well, the Aspen AOA must have more... shows AOA in unusual attitudes like steep banks also, which must be beyond just the TVV.  

I will pay much more attention to the TVV practicing my Commercial Maneuvers... 
Great forum - Thanks Orest.   I always learn new stuff here.

Tom Wolf

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:43pm
The point of all of the standalone AOA devices is not to derive a number as discussed here, it is to determine the critical alpha for a given wing set, then alert the pilot when that alpha is approached.

I suppose you could take your 47 in level flight and calculate an alpha value for a near stall and use that number as a guide.  In the case of my AlphaSystems device it calculates differential pressures on a pressure vane and compares the current value of differential pressure to that identified as critical alpha.

I agree with Tom, always learning which is good.

Best to all.

David
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2016 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

... Great forum - Thanks Orest.   I always learn new stuff here.

Tom Wolf

My pleasure. It is an unhappy day for me, when one goes by and I don't learn something.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 04 Jun 2016 at 10:53pm
195pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 195pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 12:51am
A couple of weeks ago, I ordered my IFD540 and APX340 plus the MLB100 and the installation will take place in a few weeks.  I think that the IFD540 is (more than) adequate for my current needs, but I don't want to be stuck with yesterday's sweetheart when it comes to future added features and improvements.  That places me pretty much on the fence regarding Avidyne's prepaid upgrade offer and searching for input from others who are more experienced than I am.  As is the case for most, budget is a consideration but I certainly don't want regret a decision to not upgrade under the current offer.

The 540 is a huge step up from my current Collins Microline with a IIMorrow GX-55 with GPSS.  I've spent quite a bit of armchair time with my iPad and Avidyne's free simulator and feel at least moderately grounded in its use and can easily envision using the new stuff in my plane.   I also saw the very helplful matrix above that details the major differences between the 540 and 550 including ARS.  However the topic is new enough to me  that I may not yet fully appreciate what the differences mean to me.

My plane currently has a S-TEC Series 30 autopilot with altitude hold and GPSS.  I understand that the 540 will play nicely with it.  I'm considering an autopilot upgrade at some time in the future once the bank account has had a chance to recharge.  Maybe to a S-TEC 55 or equivalent to get the benefits of coupled approaches, preset altitudes and so forth.  Does the IFD550's ARS give more meaningful inputs to the S-TEC 55 or is there no advantage there?  

My Cessna 195 benefits from "help" in the area of pitch control as well as roll control.  It's not particularly stable in either, although the current autopilot has taken care of both for cruise flight.  I'm anticipating that preset altitudes, ILS/VNAV tracking and other similar modes would be pretty coarse without attitude based inputs, but I've heard that the 550 may not be the solution for that?

Edited by 195pilot - 11 Jun 2016 at 11:29pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 1:10pm
With current history, performance, and bandwidth, I would NOT buy a 550 anticipating the 550 to do anything more than drive the 550; i.e., not serve as AHRS for an autopilot.  I suppose Avidyne could do that, maybe are even planning to do that (I doubt it), but within any reasonable timeline?  They don't have the bandwidth to complete current <<overdue>> projects.  With the draconian cert which would be required on top of that?  Nooooooo sir.

With the modifications coming to the "newer and friendlier" FAA, more likely you in the future might buy one of the whiz bang APs which are either in or coming to the EXP world.  That likely would have its own AHRS.  (and would cost you maybe a LOT less).

It is just my opinion, mind you, but my suggestion based on the appearance of the avionics world, keep the 540, keep the STEC 30 (don't buy the 55x), and wait and see what comes onto the market in the next 2-3 years.

You'll love what you already have, and you will have a $$ war chest for when the next generation of new goodies hit the market.

Edited by ddgates - 11 Jun 2016 at 1:11pm
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic