Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540 to 550 Upgrade Path

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 1:31pm
I agree with David.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
195pilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 195pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 11:24pm
Thanks, David and Steve.  I appreciate your insights and comments.

Edited by 195pilot - 11 Jun 2016 at 11:25pm
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 9:51am
The IFD540 upgrade to IFD550 form is now available here: http://www.avidyne.com/files/downloads/IFD540_to_IFD550_Agreement_Form.pdf

Let me know if you have any questions.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 2:53pm
There are still some folks with questions about the IFD550 and the need for a heading input to get the Total Velocity Vector (TVV) which is for all intents and purposes, the same as a flight path marker.   Hope this explanation helps a little:

An IFD550 will display pitch and roll attitude from the internal inertial unit displayed in either a conventional blue-over-brown ADI format, or in a synthetic vision format with 3-D terrain, obstacles, traffic, flight plan, etc.

In the synthetic vision view:

·         If the IFD is connected to a valid heading source, the attitude reference symbol will “point” at the current aircraft heading as provided by the external heading input. The total velocity vector (TVV) will “point” at the flight path angle. The 3D compass will display the current aircraft heading on a digital readout.

·         If the IFD is not connected to a valid heading source, the aircraft reference symbol will “point” at the current aircraft track as provided by the GPS. The 3D compass will display the current aircraft track from the GPS on a digital readout. There will be no display of the TVV.

The TVV is never shown in the conventional attitude indicator view.

The horizontal displacement of the TVV is computed as the angular difference between heading angle and track angle. Without a heading input, there is no computation to be performed and the TVV would be constrained to vertical displacement above/below the attitude reference symbol. While that provides some information, the TVV would serve merely as an angle of attack indicator, and was removed.

The acceptable heading sources for an IFD are:

Any device supplying ARINC 429 Label 320, Magnetic Heading (e.g. Aspen, G500/600, E1 PFD, EFIS40/50, GTX330 (data concentrator), Sandel EHSIs (3308, etc.), configuration items that support Magnetic Heading (in descending priority)

·         INS/IRU

·         EFIS

·         EFIS/Airdata

·         Honeywell EFIS  (e.g. Aspen PFD)

·         Garmin GDU (i.e. Garmin G500/600)

·         Sandel EHSI

·         Airdata/AHRS

·         Garmin GAD 42

·         Garmin GTX 330

·         Garmin GTX 330 w/ Traffic

·         Traffic Advisory

Devices configured Shadin-fadc or Shadin-adc that have a heading input.

Synchro (we have ~5 wires on the J5050 connector dedicated for this)

Stormscope (synchro into the stormscope, which sends it on in serial format)

We have no preference for which you use.  In my test airplane, I have:

Aspen PFD

Garmin G500

GTX330ES

TAS6XXA

TWX670

so it would be a bad day for me not to have heading input and therefore a TVV.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 9:25am

So I think I get it.  The ARS that's in the 550 doesn't know how it fits into the earth's magnetic coordinate system.  Looking for a stand alone certified AHRS to get heading is a little pricey for me. 

Is it possible that in a future software update:

• the pilot can enter a heading to "align" the ARS? or
  • when the unit is first turned on sense the accelerations created by the rotation of the earth to determine the true north and calculate the magnetic heading?

Edited by tony - 25 Jul 2016 at 3:26pm
comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 3:50pm
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the KCS-55A heading output will work with the 550?  I'd like to take advantage of the 540 upgrade option, but not ready to pull my old trusty HSI yet.  The install manual says this under signal outputs:

Heading synchro transmitter: Output equal to 206 millivolts per degree of heading rotation.

I know the CDI outputs to the 540 fine, but never considered heading output.

Thanks,

Jim
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 9:23pm
You need to have the rev version of the KCS55 HSI that has the bootstrap to send any heading information out so you want to check that out first.
comancheguytoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguytoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 1:40pm
Thanks Gring
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic