Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ICAO codes and Foreflight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ICAO codes and Foreflight
    Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:29am
With the ICAO deadline rapidly approaching more people will be trying to figure out what all the codes mean when trying to select the correct equipment in Foreflight and other flight planning software for our aircraft.  I know that some of it has me confused.

I have heard that Garmin has a list of their equipment and their respective codes that are used in Foreflight and others.

Do you think it would be possible for Avidyne to publish a list with all of their equipment and how it is listed in the ICAO section of the popular flight planning software?  In Foreflight it would be the ICAO Equipment, ICAO Surveillance, and the ICAO PBN sections.

For example, I have an IFD540 and AXP340.

My settings for the IFD540 in ICAO Equipment are:

B - LPV (APV with SBAS)  not even sure what the APV but I do have LPV capabilities.
D - DME
G -  GNSS
I - ILS
O - VOR
Y - VHF 8.33 khz spacing

I'm less sure on the ICAO Surveillance.  I selected:

B1 - ADS-B, Dedicated 1090 out
E - Mode S, ID, Alt, Squitter

I don't know what to show when I add the MLB100 because there is no choice for just ADS-B UAT In.

The most confusing is the ICAO PBN:

I wouldn't think that we would qualify for performance based navigation as I think that would include RNP but I did read somewhere that if you didn't select something in the PBN section that flight plans that included SIDS or STARS would be rejected.

Thanks for any help on this,
Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 9:57pm
If you don't do the PBN part, you won't be assigned RNAV sids and stars, you could still do conventional ones that are authorized for your airplane. The 540 is authorized for PBN enroute and terminal and Standard RNAV approaches, but since it does not have radius to fix capabilities, you can't be authorized to do RNAV SA ( special authorization ) approaches. I believe the settings would be 1/2/1 for the PBN. ( departure/enroute/ arrival). AC 90-100 describes a lot of this. Also check pages 5-30 and 5-31 of the newest pilot guide.

APV with SBAS=. Approach procedures with vertical guidance and space based augmentation system. ICAO term only.

It does not appear that anyone cares to know whether you have UAT in capability, (US only anyway).

Edited by Dlesh123 - 13 May 2016 at 10:21pm
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2016 at 12:44pm
About the IACO Surveillance codes, I was also frustrated bu the lack of appropriate codes for my aircraft (IFD540, APX340, MLB100).  We do 1090 Out and 978 UAT in.  I contacted AOPA and a high level person queried the FAA about the issue.  The FAA response was, and I quote:

"If I understand you correctly, the aircraft have 1090 Out and 978 (UAT) in only?

If that is the case then the ICAO flight plan as designed does not exactly account for this case (which is probably why you are writing).  It allows you to indicate Out or Out+In for either 1090 or 978, but does not provide a code for In.

If we are talking domestic flights only, I think the only information we make use of now is to know that the aircraft is "out".  ATC does not have any procedures (yet) that require us to know "in" capability.  So there is nothing critical for the time being, but it would be nice to develop a long-term strategy because someday it may matter.

That said, my recommendation for now would be the following:

1) File code B1 (In ICAO field 10b) to indicate 1090 Out, and include SUR/260B as indicated in the AIM 5-1-9.

2) File code U2 to indicate 978 (UAT) In.  Do not file 282B in SUR/ since you don't have 978 out.

Our systems would understand this as 1090 out and 978 in, since we only consider that you have out capability when the 282B or 260B indicator is included in SUR/.  (The reason for that is that the U.S. requires DO-260B or DO-282B compliant equipment; but some equipment is still out there that is not.  Those aircraft can file ADS-B capability in Field 10, so we need something to tell us whether they meet our requirements)."

Jim Patton
Kentucky Captain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky Captain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 10:48pm
I worked for the FAA for 27 years and I still don't get the way they do things.  Some things they drag their feet like a kid going to school and other times it's like their hair is on fire.

What did you show for equipment in ForeFlight reference the IFD540?
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 11:22pm
"What did you show for equipment in ForeFlight reference the IFD540?"

If that question is for me, I don't use FF.  With FltPLan's free geo-referenced data (IAPs, Victor Lows, etc) on my iPad and a partner keeping all the geo-referenced IAPs up to date on the 696 (it's wired to get the active flight plan path direct from the 540), just haven't seen the value. 
Jim Patton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic