Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD-550 ARS Calibration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD-550 ARS Calibration
    Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:11am
Steve,

As I recall, your IFD-550 pictures were taken in a Cessna 182.  In that aircraft, the radio stack is mounted level with the aircraft's vertical axis.

How do you calibrate the ARS when installing the IFD-550 in an airplane like Cirrus, where the radio stack is mounted at a significant angle to the vertical?  Does the angled mounting affect the accuracy of the indication?

David Bunin

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 9:55pm
There is a new ARS Calibration page in Mx Mode that provides a means to adjust for pitch, roll and yaw off-axis installations (though a roll tilt should be a highly unusual thing).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:29am
Is it necessary to jack or shore the aircraft to a level position for the calibration, or can you tell the ARS that the aircraft is currently positioned (for example) 3° nose-up?

David Bunin
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:09pm
No jacking of airplane required.   There are 4 fields to enter (pitch, roll, yaw, TAS).

The current procedure is to measure yaw before you put the IFD in the tray.  You are measuring the difference between the longitudinal axis of the airplane the longitudinal axis of the tray.  For most of us, they are one in the same (0 deg). For those folks who have the stack or panel yawed to point more toward the pilot, they need to do that measurement.

You type in the True Airspeed you want to be your trim point.  Say 135 KTAS is your desired level flight enroute TAS.

Then the typical next step is to fly a sortie, hit your desired TAS trim point and record what you are seeing for displayed pitch and roll.

Land the airplane, go back to that page and enter those values.  I would expect roll to be 0 all the time. Part of the reason roll is done in flight is to prevent the flat tire scenario or lard ass pilot in one seat scenario or fuel imbalance scenario.

Pitch will vary from plane to plane when sitting on the ground.  Tail draggers vs tricycle wheel vs in-flight AoA vs etc.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:28pm
Quote Pitch will vary from plane to plane when sitting on the ground.  Tail draggers vs tricycle wheel vs in-flight AoA vs etc.

I strongly prefer to reference pitch to a neutral aircraft pitch. There is no such thing as a neutral reference point in cruise, it will always vary, and when flying in cruise you will always be nose up 1* to 3* with a positive AOA.

That is how I have the ASPEN set up. In which case, I guess I would just need to match that.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 May 2016 at 1:31pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:29pm
The beauty of this system is you can certainly do that if you want. 
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic