Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Entering flight plan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Entering flight plan
    Posted: 01 May 2016 at 9:34am
When I enter a flight plan on the FMS screen I input the origin and then the destination, the destination doesn't turn magenta, I have to activate the plan manually? When I do that on the SIM the destination turns magenta automatically? Am I missing something or have a user setting I have to change?
dpcraig
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 11:03am
Once past a certain ground speed, the flight plan activates automatically.  So, it will activate on your takeoff roll.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 11:15am
Can somebody explain the difference between an FP and a route?

Can a FP be saved as a route for future use?
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 11:34am
It seems that Avidyne chose to use "route" to mean a saved flight plan.

Sure, you can save an active flightplan, from the ROUTE tab! Just hit the COPY soft button.

* Orest

dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 11:37am
Once past a certain ground speed, the flight plan activates automatically. So, it will activate on your takeoff roll.

I read that, just wondered if that's the intended functionality. Just another thing to watch that it actually happens on the ground roll.
dpcraig
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 11:38am
Correction:

Take off roll
dpcraig
dpcraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpcraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 11:51am
I realize it'll activate on the take off roll which seems like a good function for a safeguard, but the question is, when you are entering the flight plan destination, is there a way to have the system automatically activate the destination while entering it ?
dpcraig
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 1:27pm
You can also manually activate the flightplan at any time. There is a soft key on the FMS page to do that.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 May 2016 at 1:28pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 5:18pm
Orest has it right on all counts.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 7:45pm
Ok, another flight plan question....

Let's say I enter a flight plan from McAlester (KMLC) to Tulsa Riverside (KRVS) enroute I'm told to expect the RNAV 1L approach from INHOF. When I select the RNAV 1L with INHOF transition, the IFD routes me to KRVS then back out to INHOF for the approach. I have to delete KRVS from the plan in order for IFD to properly route me to INHOF, then on the approach.

Am I entering something wrong, or must the destination always be deleted after an approach is selected?
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:38pm
Nevermind. I just noticed that by "Activating" the approach, the IFD fixes the routing.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by dubs I just noticed that by Activating the approach, the IFD fixes the routing.<br>[/QUOTE dubs I just noticed that by Activating the approach, the IFD fixes the routing.
[/QUOTE wrote:

Also, if you are then given a different IAP you can then highlight that fix and hit "dir

Also, if you are then given a different IAP you can then highlight that fix and hit "direct."  I like to pick any IAF when entering an approach even if I am expecting VTF.  By doing this, all the step down fixes remain on the plan.  At the appropriate time, I simply activate the leg leading to the FAF. (assuming there is a fix outside the FAF on the inbound course.)

Edited by teeth6 - 02 May 2016 at 9:01pm
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by dubs dubs wrote:

the IFD routes me to KRVS then back out to INHOF for the approach. I have to delete KRVS from the plan in order for IFD to properly route me to INHOF, then on the approach.

Strange as it may seem, that is your legal IFR clearance at the time when you are only "expecting" the approach.  You aren't cleared to deviate from a direct line to the airport until you are cleared for the approach itself.

In other words, if you went lost-comm after the "expect" instruction, you SHOULD fly to the airport and then fly back to the IAF to make the approach.

Strange, but true.

David

colect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 7:29am
I’ve just moved up from a VFR-only GPS & love the 540 but could use some advice to learn details of flight planning & operations for IFR flight & approaches.  If I’m planning a route using Victor airways, when I file, do I specify which waypoint will be my “off-ramp”?  If not, how would  ATC know where I would be leaving the airway to join the approach?  e.g.: flying LNR V2 KMSN, is that what I file, or do I specify LNR V2 NEGUS RNAV RWY 14 KMSN (which is what ForeFlight lists)?  Then, when programming the 540, do I include this approach before take-off, or load LNR V2 KMSN and wait until ATC assigns or asks for the approach?
Chris
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 11:13am
I highly recommend you check out Master CFI, Gary Reeves at http://pilotsafety.org/. He is doing a series of webinars over the next few weeks about using the IFD series. He will also be doing some in person seminars and a DVD series.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 8:17am
When you file a flight plan, you don't file for a specific approach.  You file to the airport and then later ATC "ammends" your clearance with an approach.

But yes, you should specify an exit point for the airway.  A point from-which you would (in theory) proceed directly to the airport if visual conditions prevail and communications are lost.

David Bunin
colect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 9:38am
Thanks to both -- watched Gary Reeves last night & reviewed the YouTube recording again this morning, looking forward to more.  David's clarification helps, too.

1. File to the exit fix
2. Program through the exit fix & the approach before takeoff
3. Learn how to change approaches while flying.

-Chris
Chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2016 at 2:45pm
I would skip step 2.

Just program through the exit fix and to the destination.

It is very easy to go into the flight plan and pick the approach from the destination waypoint "on the fly".

You typically don't know (before takeoff) what way the wind will be blowing or what runway or approach will be in use at the time you arrive.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 3:44pm
I received this clearance today from the Philly area back to the NE and was wondering how others would enter (fly) this plan.  Direct PNE- the PNE 090 Radial to intercept the ARD 126 Radial to intercept V16- JFK.  It seems the easiest way to fly this after going direct to PNE would be to switch to VLOC mode, fly the 090 radial until intercepting the ARD 126 Radial (also in VLOC mode) etc.  Since there is no intersection or fix where the PNE 090 and ARD 126 meet, how would this be setup on the 540? Would others fly this differently?

Edited by teeth6 - 21 May 2016 at 3:45pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 4:27pm
You can create a user waypoint for the intersection of the two radials, then just add it to your flight plan.

It would be great if we could add it in one step, right on the FMS page directly, special waypoints like PNE090/ARD126. I have put that request in, and it is in the database.

And sure, you can fly it old school, using VLOC.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 21 May 2016 at 4:28pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:00pm
I have received that exact clearance and I did as Orest suggests and created a user waypoint and added it to the flight plan.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:10pm
Thanks guys. I think I will have to brush up on creating a user way point
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

You can create a user waypoint for the intersection of the two radials, then just add it to your flight plan.

It would be great if we could add it in one step, right on the FMS page directly, special waypoints like PNE090/ARD126. I have put that request in, and it is in the database.

* Orest

+1 on the idea of creating waypoints from right on the FPL page.  I haven't figure out the logic behind the paste waypoint LSK when you select to add a waypoint, it never gives me a logical waypoint.  Either that LSK function could be modified or you could utilize the top LSK and have it be a state LSK cycling through waypoint types such as waypoint, hold, orbit, lat/long, rad/dist, rad/rad, rad/vway (see below).

I'd also like to add a feature to be able to create a waypoint based on a victor airway.  As in the example above, clearances often include intercepting airways.  When you are told to intercept an airway, it doesn't come with a radial from a fix so you are left guessing.  There is no simple way to do this currently on the IFD.  You have to search around on the IFD to find where you will intercept the airway, find a fix along the airway that doesn't bend prior to you getting there, turn off the autopilot, put it into OBS mode, and dial the CDI until it overlays the airway.  Then you can use that information to create a user waypoint. Then you have to go back to the FPL page to add your new waypoint.  Not very easy or intuitive - am I missing something obvious?  The real answer is to pull out the enroute map and look at a radial from a fix defining that leg.  It would be nice to add "rad/vway" to the list of waypoint options.

Obviously you could fly it using VLOC or OBS, but as far as I can tell, they both create issues with the autopilot.  When you create all the waypoints and leave it in GPS mode, life is a lot easier.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

....When you are told to intercept an airway, it doesn't come with a radial from a fix so you are left guessing.  There is no simple way to do this currently on the IFD. 

The IFDs had a HDG mode, in addition to GPS & VLOC & OBS, which would allow you to intercept a course (airway, localizer, whatever), using your current heading until intercept. Unfortunately the feature had to be pulled because of FAA concerns about pilot confusion in the modes, or at least the way it was set up. I hope this feature makes it back.

That said, I'm able to do that with my autopilot, that is HDG -> NAV/LOC (armed), so at least for me it is academic. It is a powerful feature to have.

* Orest

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:32am

* Orest

+1 on the idea of creating waypoints from right on the FPL page.  I haven't figure out the logic behind the paste waypoint LSK when you select to add a waypoint, it never gives me a logical waypoint.  Either that LSK function could be modified or you could utilize the top LSK and have it be a state LSK cycling through waypoint types such as waypoint, hold, orbit, lat/long, rad/dist, rad/rad, rad/vway (see below).

I'd also like to add a feature to be able to create a waypoint based on a victor airway.  As in the example above, clearances often include intercepting airways.  When you are told to intercept an airway, it doesn't come with a radial from a fix so you are left guessing.  There is no simple way to do this currently on the IFD.  Y<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">ou have to search around on the IFD to find where you will intercept the airway, find a fix along the airway that doesn't bend prior to you getting there, turn off the autopilot, put it into OBS mode, and dial the CDI until it overlays the airway.  Then you can use that information to create a user waypoint. Then you have to go back to the FPL page to add your new waypoint.  Not very easy or intuitive - am I missing something obvious?  The real answer is to pull out the enroute map and look at a radial from a fix defining that leg.  It would be nice to add "rad/vway" to the list of waypoint options.
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Obviously you could fly it using VLOC or OBS, but as far as I can tell, they both create issues with the autopilot.  When you create all the waypoints and leave it in GPS mode, life is a lot easier.</span>

Well, there is another way.

1) enter a waypoint on the airway behind where you will intercept the airway
2) activate the leg in the flight plan
3) fly a heading to intercept the active leg, or put the autopilot/FD in HDG mode with NAV or GPSS mode armed
4) once you get to the active leg, turn on course or follow the FD commands, or watch the autopilot do it for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:54am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Direct PNE- the PNE 090 Radial to intercept the ARD 126 Radial to intercept V16- JFK. 

I'm missing something.  I tried to do this on the simulator, just to see if I would be able to create this user waypoint in the airplane without referring back to the pilot guide.  I didn't have any trouble making a PNE090/ARD126 waypoint, but...

From that point I couldn't figure out how to get to the V16 airway.  What are you supposed to do after the intersection?  Do I need another waypoint?  I had to put CYN into the flightplan to get access to the V16 airway.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:44am
Okay, I created a second waypoint (a radial/distance waypoint called WP002) using the ARD 126° radial at 50 miles.  I put that into my flight plan after WP001.  This actually took the most "touches" of anything I've ever done, because the autofill offered me WP001 all the way until I got to the last character in the entry.

Looks as if this line will cross the WHITE intersection, so when the airplane gets close to that point, I would activate the leg between WHITE and DIXIE.  I select the DIXIE waypoint with the cursor and hit the Activate Leg LSK.

This seems to work well in the simulator.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 8:52am
I am learning.

I redid the whole thing from KPHL to PNE to WP001 to WP002 to WHITE, and from WHITE it let me join the V16 airway at the programming phase.

I could probably shorten the distance and make a WP003 that was off the ARD 126° radial at just 33 miles instead of 50 and have it come out even better.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 9:20am
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

* Orest

I'd also like to add a feature to be able to create a waypoint based on a victor airway.  As in the example above, clearances often include intercepting airways.  When you are told to intercept an airway, it doesn't come with a radial from a fix so you are left guessing.  There is no simple way to do this currently on the IFD.  Y<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">ou have to search around on the IFD to find where you will intercept the airway, find a fix along the airway that doesn't bend prior to you getting there, turn off the autopilot, put it into OBS mode, and dial the CDI until it overlays the airway.  Then you can use that information to create a user waypoint. Then you have to go back to the FPL page to add your new waypoint.  Not very easy or intuitive - am I missing something obvious?  The real answer is to pull out the enroute map and look at a radial from a fix defining that leg.  It would be nice to add "rad/vway" to the list of waypoint options.
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Obviously you could fly it using VLOC or OBS, but as far as I can tell, they both create issues with the autopilot.  When you create all the waypoints and leave it in GPS mode, life is a lot easier.</span>

Well, there is another way.

1) enter a waypoint on the airway behind where you will intercept the airway
2) activate the leg in the flight plan
3) fly a heading to intercept the active leg, or put the autopilot/FD in HDG mode with NAV or GPSS mode armed
4) once you get to the active leg, turn on course or follow the FD commands, or watch the autopilot do it for you.

This would work if the winds aren't very strong, but you shouldn't be flying a heading when told to fly a radial for your step 3.
idmpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idmpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 3:05pm
Another great option once 10.2 released with 2 way com between foreflight and ifd's : enter following into foreflight then send it to avidyne- KPNE PNE PNE090/ARD126 ARD126/CYN046 DIXIE V16 JFK. .Note even if you place intersecting radials that are on an airway in this case ARD126/CYN046, foreflight won't recognize it as on the airway so you must add a point downsteam on the airway DIXIE here..I got CYN046 off victor airways chart from foreflight. Try it ,its fun. You can use this to create waypoints from intersecting radials of your choice and then enter airways by adding downsteam waypoints. Until avidyne adds this just import from foreflight.
j george
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:14pm
Fascinating - I had no idea FF could do this.  

Experimenting with FltPln.com, unable to replicate this "crossing radial" Wpt method so far, but otherwise a really great (and free) alternative to FF, and also communicates with our 540's. 

Tom Wolf
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 4:49pm
+1 on Fltplan.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 29 May 2016 at 4:49pm
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 6:15pm
+2, I will probably drop my current EFB since FltPlan Go has enough for me and getting better, plus it has Canadian charts for free.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:14pm
FltPlan Go is really growing on me too.  Free Geo Referenced maps and charts - low enroute with MEA's, IAP's - almost as capable and user friendly as FF and synchronizes with IOS devices too.

Tom W.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

FltPlan Go ... and synchronizes with IOS devices too.

Tom W.

Actually, one of its big strengths is that it synchronizes and works with most all flavors of devices, windows, android and ios, and most ADS-B IN devices.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic