Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flying Backwards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flying Backwards
    Posted: 28 Apr 2016 at 8:42pm
Anyone ever seen this before?  I fly with the Avidyne in North Up mode. This morning departing KC for Tulsa, KC Departure cleared me Direct BUM. When I touched BUM in the flight plan and hit direct, the orientation of my plane changed on screen to show a northern track, even though I was flying south. Really screwed me up for a minute, but all other instruments were correct. When I switched to Map page it corrected itself, and stayed correct4ed when I went back to FMS.

Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 2:28pm
Could the FMS have been showing you a waypoint view?  I think those are always shown as North-Up.  Especially when looking at an airport's runway layout.

Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 4:18pm
Not sure if this will help you, but it may be a clue of some kind.  My ARINC 429 #1 input is Sandel EHSI.  I was given the tip to change it to Honeywell EFIS, in order to get traffic displayed.  I got the traffic, but as long as the setting was on Honeywell the aircraft symbol pointed in the wrong direction, like your photo, even though the IFD Map magenta line was correct and the IFD heading box indicated the correct heading.  Just the aircraft ownship symbol was confused.  I switched back to Sandel input.  The clue is that the difference between Sandel and Honeywell data inputs leads to the problem, suggesting that your temporary indication was due to perhaps an interruption of the same or similar data the aircraft symbol needs to orient itself.

Edited by Catani - 29 Apr 2016 at 4:19pm
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 9:31am
Thanks for the replies. That may be the case. This was only my 4th flight with the IFD440 and my 1st trip into IMC with it. I haven't flown with it enough to have developed a deep level of trust and confidence in it yet. Fortunately, I have developed a deep level of trust in my KX-155 backed up with Foreflight and Stratus. These little hiccups aren't catastrophic, but are definitely  prolonging the courtship ritual. 

I noticed that my attached photo was too small to make sense of, so I'm going to reattach it in a larger format.

Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 11:04am
Totally off topic, but it looks like your CO card is either missing the central indicating disc, or is indicating DANGER.

In any case, keep in mind that these cards are virtually useless. Get a portable, 5yr rated, ultra-low range and instant indicating sensor from CO Experts. It not only protects the pilot from CO, but can also give an early head's up that your engine may be developing a problem.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 30 Apr 2016 at 11:08am
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 11:34am
Wilco. The CO2 sensor Washington a casualty of The recent upgrade.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
George View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 3:55pm
Where did you get the Ipad mount?
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 5:26pm
It's an Airgizmo iPad Mini Mount ($130), combined with one of their angle adapters ($50). At 8"tall it fits perfectly into one of the PA-32 stacks. If you are considering installing one, consider also installing an avionics cooling fan. There is a port built into the Airgizmo to accept cooling air. I've had to remove the iPad on several occasions and position it next to event to cool it down.

This panel arrangement should play nicely with the IFD440 IFD100 combination.
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2016 at 5:30pm
a vent
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic